Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Article: Brook, Hearn, and the Matchroom greed

1. Join Date
    Jan 2013

Jump to Comments

Brook, Hearn, and the Matchroom greed

40 Comments by Alex Morris Published on 03-19-2014 11:00 AM
    Brook, Hearn, and the Matchroom greed

This past Saturday we witnessed a myriad of fights on both sides of the pond. Tony Bellew debuted at Cruiserweight with a less than inspiring (but vicious knockout) win over lightly regarded Valery Brudov. On the bigger scale we were treated to a Golden Boy card in Puerto Rico, headlined by a weak homecoming effort from 140 pound champ Danny Garcia. What attempted to slip under the radar was Kell Brook’s inaptly named “tune up” against the rugged Mexican Alvaro Robles.

In the build up, the fight was billed as little man than a payday and a “stay busy” for the Sheffield Welterweight. The very premise of this turned out to be flawed; Brook is on the cusp of fighting Shawn Porter or Paulie Malignaggi for his very first World Title shot. What better way to prepare for these two class operators than fighting a 10 round match at a 152lb catchweight against a Mexican pressure fighter.

The fight itself turned into a fairly entertaining tussle, in most part due to a valiant effort provided by Robles. As I’ve noted before, Kell looks a much stronger and durable fighter above 150lbs, and this fight was no exception. He continually clocked his foe with sharp 1-2 combinations, stamping his authority with his signature cross. The commentary team of Watt and Halling were enthusiastic swollen with pride - that, or they had swallowed far too much of Brook’s nutsack.

Robles provided some vicious bodywork to Kell’s midrift, slamming home wide swung hooks that dug right into “Special K’s” ribs. Often the referee mistook some of these shots for low blows, but you’d be hard pressed to find more than two wayward misfires throughout the entire 8 round affair. It is no secret that, even at a higher weight, Brook has a less than exemplary gas tank, and this old weakness reared its head around the 6th round, when the home fighter visibly began to tire.

Despite this, Brook took some powerful shots from his challenger particularly well, even in the later rounds as the Mexican began to rally through fear of disqualification or mercy stoppage. In the end, Kell’s wet tissue paper skin may have tore, but Robles puffy eyes, beetroot red face and staggering sway necessitated the fight to stop.

The spin started almost instantly. “Clinical”, spouted Watt, oblivious to the bodywork of Robles. “The World’s Number One” shrieked MC John McDonald, leaving many to ponder what fanciful list Brook topped. It certainly wasn't a boxing ranking list. Tim Bradley, Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao have something very strong to say about that. Perhaps McDonald was in fact referring to Hearn and his farce of a show?

Earlier in the evening, the production interviewed Super Middleweight prospect Rocky Fielding, who lost his Commonwealth title as a result of breaking the weigh-in scales by more than 6 lbs. Meekly looking for an answer, Fielding informed his interviewer that it was in fact Hearn who suggested that the poorly prepared titlist come in at a more comfortable weight. Originally the Liverpudlian was 3lbs overweight, but upon Hearns advice, 6lbs was deemed an acceptable way to present him to his title challenger, Charles Adamu. “Disgraceful” is not a term strong enough for the absolute farce behind these proceedings.

Young Eddie needs to be wary and cautious of what he lets slide on future “mismatchroom” cards. Kevin Mitchell fighting Casper from Kes (credit to @OfficialWalks for that joke) as the television opener truly was the icing on the cake for this reckless and weak offering. If either of Mitchell or Fielding’s foes were seriously hurt during their bouts, Hearn would have faced a serious backlash from the board. Making 50/50 fights can only be beneficial to his brand - the Tommy Coyle-Daniel Brizuela brawl is still talked about across the globe as one of the best fights of the year. Enough pushovers for the casual fans. Build a strong, consistent fanbase, or else risk it all falling when tragedy strikes.
    "If you know you're fighting for the Heavyweight Championship of the world and you start to bleed - so what. If your eye starts to close - SO WHAT."

Follow me on Twitter -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2. Total Comments 40

Comments

good stuff mate.

Donny or maybe it was Kurt were right on the pod last night, if Hearn is making $5 million offers to Khan to fight Brook, whilst knowing full well that Khan is tied contractually to another fight with another tv platform; IF they are able to afford those types of offers why can't they use some of that money to bring in good fighters to the UK.

Why have the likes of Barker fight in America or Rees or Bellew to Canada. If you can afford to make that offer then you sure as hell can make the same offer to get your own fighter a hometown advantage whilst also paying both fighters handsomely!

Quote Originally Posted by El Cholo View Post
    good stuff mate.

Donny or maybe it was Kurt were right on the pod last night, if Hearn is making $5 million offers to Khan to fight Brook, whilst knowing full well that Khan is tied contractually to another fight with another tv platform; IF they are able to afford those types of offers why can't they use some of that money to bring in good fighters to the UK.

Why have the likes of Barker fight in America or Rees or Bellew to Canada. If you can afford to make that offer then you sure as hell can make the same offer to get your own fighter a hometown advantage whilst also paying both fighters handsomely!
    Aye spot on, give 1/10th of that money to Porter and he'd come over here and defend his title. But Brook will likely be off to the US when/if that fight happens. Barker is his first proper champ and he never fought at home for a title. Crawford only came here for Burns because Bob couldnt be fucked paying for it.
    "If you know you're fighting for the Heavyweight Championship of the world and you start to bleed - so what. If your eye starts to close - SO WHAT."

Follow me on Twitter -

Porter and his father have said on many occassions, they aint coming to UK. Fuck money, it aint happening. They the champs.

So let me get this right, in one sentance andy is pissing and moaning that they are taking to much care of their fighters but in the next crying because they allow them to make career high paydays to fight abroad

Like I said, until youse start calling all out and not just focusing your attention on one, you have no credibility and your boring me

and if anyone thinks Khan is in a legally binding anything with Frank Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post

Porter and his father have said on many occassions, they aint coming to UK. Fuck money, it aint happening. They the champs.

So let me get this right, in one sentance andy is pissing and moaning that they are taking to much care of their fighters but in the next crying because they allow them to make career high paydays to fight abroad

Like I said, until youse start calling all out and not just focusing your attention on one, you have no credibility and your boring me
    they can make career high paydays abroad if they want BUT look at some of the shite they have been serving up on their shows recently!! If you can offer Khan $5 million, then you have enough money to bring in a decent tune up opponent for Kevin Mitchell on Saturday instead of the trash that was served up, or that last Argentine import that Kell Brook got that he blasted out with great ease THAT'S what I'm getting at!

Hearn is full of shit what he did with that Khan offer was exactly the same what GBP did with Donaire to make the Mares fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    and if anyone thinks Khan is in a legally binding anything with Frank Warren.
    Really?!

He has one fight left in a three-bout deal with BoxNation, so the chances of meeting Brook, who is promoted by Matchroom, are slim unless Eddie Hearn can come to an arrangement with Frank Warren. Brook next fights in Liverpool on 15 March against a selected opponent.
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...her-kell-brook

Good stuff, Alex. Fielding was a disgrace and the fact he let slip that it was Eddie who told him to put more weight on really was a shocker. I enjoyed the main event, and at least the guy Kell fought came to win, unlike many other guys brought over by Matchroom. The guy who got hammered by Mitchell looked like he had never set foot in a ring before.

Follow us on Mixlr to Listen to the BA Podcast Live -

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Man View Post
    Good stuff, Alex. Fielding was a disgrace and the fact he let slip that it was Eddie who told him to put more weight on really was a shocker. I enjoyed the main event, and at least the guy Kell fought came to win, unlike many other guys brought over by Matchroom. The guy who got hammered by Mitchell looked like he had never set foot in a ring before.
    The fact Eddie overlooks and allows this makes me wonder how he'd treat one of his boys if they failed a doping test. I've always likened (conscious) missing of weight to PED usage given the advantage it offers to one side.

The whole testing scene in Britain is completely unreported so it's really hard to judge who's doing what to prevent PED abuse anyway. As Conte usually says, to fail some of these tests is like failing an IQ test.

Follow me on Twitter -

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Man View Post
    Not once but TWICE he stated this, first time was in the dressing room pre-fight then at the ringside post-fight interview.

Nice read, the Matchroom cards are disgusting and have been for a while. The rest of the card on Froch Groves I was utter shite and should never has stood as a ppv, I am hoping for improvement for the rematch but with Eddie claiming two "World Title" fights I am not exactly anticipating anything other than forgone conclusions.

Originally Posted by Marchegiano
    Also, black people tend to have Nintendo and wish they could afford a PS, real talk.