Article: Another Golovkin Early Finish

1. Join Date
    Apr 2011

Jump to Comments

Another Golovkin Early Finish

2 Comments by Adam Smith Published on 01-30-2014 04:39 PM
    Reaction

Marco Huck looked backed to his best on Saturday night and clearly learnt from mistakes made in his first bout with Firat Arslan. The WBO cruiserweight champion started a lot quicker, landing straight shots in the first two rounds before Arslan came on strong in the third.

Huck targeted the body in the fourth and visibly got to Arslan with volume and power again in the fifth. The end came in the sixth where Arslan was downed from a straight shot combo before Huck overwhelmed his older opponent in the corner.

Huck is now just one victory away from equaling Jonny Nelson’s record of 14 successful defenses of a 200lbs title but spoke about having another crack at heavyweight post fight. One thing is for sure, wherever Huck goes from here, it’ll be entertaining.

2014 is expected to be a big year for WBO super featherweight titlist Mikey Garcia but the unbeaten 26-year-old started with a whisper rather than a bang in an uneventful unanimous decision over Juan Carlos Burgos. In fairness to Garcia, Burgos boxed in a shell after being rocked early and didn’t help with his negative tactics thereafter.

This Week’s Action

Gennady Golovkin’s reign of middleweight terror looks set to be extended to 16 straight KOs on Saturday night. The Kazakh bomber faces Osumanu Adama in Monte Carlo in what looks another one sided contest for the WBA king.

It’s abundantly clear none of the 160lbs top dogs want to face Golovkin (WBA interim champion Martin Murray springs to mind) but how long will fans put up with GGG walking straight through challengers that have already failed at world level?

Adama lost a wide decision to Daniel Geale in 2012 (another who has avoided Golovkin) but comes to fight and should leave plenty of holes for GGG to fill with power punches. It’s even money that Golovkin gets the job done in the first six rounds and I think that’s an absolute gift. 12 of Golvokin’s last 15 opponents haven’t made it passed round six.

The first major domestic bill of the year is in Cardiff this Saturday with a couple of hard to call scraps to get stuck in to. Lee Selby tops the Matchroom bill against Rendall Munroe for the vacant European featherweight strap.

Selby is a strong favourite at just 2/7 with Munroe available at 7/2. I was disappointed with the second half of Selby’s 2013 campaign where he labored to victories against Viorel Simion and Ryan Walsh. He should’ve stopped Walsh but still won a clear decision. The problem with Selby is you just don’t know which mood he’s going to turn up in. Sometimes looking for the spectacular knockout and to do damage, sometimes content to sit on the back foot and showcase his slick skills.

Munroe is obviously talented and can certainly box but you have to believe he’s passed his best. Fighters that flirt with retirement always worry me (Derry Mathews for example) and Munroe has attempted to hang up his gloves more than once.

A spirited 2010 loss on away soil to Japanese star Toshiaki Nishioka and a stoppage loss to Scott Quigg in 2012 seem to have taken a lot out of the Leicester native. 33-year-old Munroe appears to simply love the game and the hard work that goes with it but you have to wonder how the career super bantamweight has managed to get a shot at the European featherweight title. Of course Munroe says the move up in weight will do him good and for some reason he’s made me into a believer with his recent comments.

If Selby fights with viscous intent as he did against Stephen Smith and John Simpson I envisage an impressive win for the Welshman, especially if targeting the aging body of Munroe. But Munroe is experienced and cute enough to stay out of trouble and recent Selby form suggests another points win is likely and the 5/2 available is certainly the value here.

Chief support on the Cardiff undercard comes from an all welsh clash between Gavin Rees and Gary Buckland. Former light welterweight world champion Rees had a bad 2013, a KO loss to Adrien Broner and a sloppy points defeat to Anthony Crolla in a fight he was favourite for.

Buckland also failed to register a win last year when on the wrong end of the KO of the year against Stephen Smith in August. Buckland hasn’t been seen at lightweight since 2010 when a knockout loss to John Murray triggered a move down to super featherweight.

It’s make or break for Rees this Saturday and he knows it. A loss here would almost certainly signal the end to an entertaining career and reports suggest he’s in decent shape. On top form he has the ability to overwhelm his domestic rival and open the door to further showdowns with Matchroom’s strong lightweight contingent. Rees is 1/2 with the oddsmakers with method of victory markets yet to appear. Rees for the KO at 7/4 or bigger would interest me.

The News

Tyson Fury and Dereck Chisora look almost certain to clash in the summer if they can get past Gonzalo Basile and Kevin Johnson respectively. Some have asked what the point in a rematch is after Fury clearly outpointed Chisora in 2011and Del Boy has lost three times since then. But Chisora was in horrible shape for the first fight and has arguably mixed it at a higher level, with mixed success, since then. Frank Warren has promised it’ll be a final eliminator for the world title.

I reported last week that Timothy Bradley and Manny Pacquiao are set to rematch on April 12th and early odds have gone up this week. Bradley at 6/4 is the value at this stage. Manny looked to be lacking the X factor on his comeback and Bradley is still underrated by bookmakers and fans alike.

The Bet

Golovkin to KO Adama rounds 1-6 at even money. Great value.

Selby to beat Munroe on points 5/2.

Put Rees to beat Buckland in your accumulators at 1/2 or wait for a decent price on the KO.

Quote Of The Week

“He’s a ****ing b**ch pu**y who wouldn’t fight Tyson Fury.”
    Tyson Fury wasted no time to get stuck into David Haye at his first Box Nation press conference this week.

2. Total Comments 2

Comments

Good write up mate.
    Ortiz v Collazo tonight too I believe.

Amateur Fighter
    No mention of Mark Prince's return to the ring to fight for the WBU European cruiserweight belt?! Shame on you Adam!

Seriously though, I like the fact Golovkin is fighting even if it is a nondescript bout against a guy he will most likely dismantle within six rounds. We often complain whenever fighters are grossly inactive and at least Golovkin is keeping things ticking over with these type of bouts while waiting for the bigger fish to become available. It's a shame Martin Murray didn't fancy it as I think he would've given Golovkin a decent scrap but Golovkin would probably have knocked him out as well eventually.

I think Selby will beat Munroe on points, although I wouldn't be surprised if he popped him to the body and got him out of there. Selby does seem to fight beneath his level almost and can 'carry' opponents. I was there when he beat Martin Lindsay in Belfast and he put a frightful beating on Lindsay for the early part of the fight but then started showboating and arsing around, letting Lindsay go out on points. Martin's a tough lad though and took his lumps like a warrior.

Selby is a beast of a man at the weight though and I think he does boil down to it so he can have a big size advantage on the night, because he looked huge in there after being so drawn at the weigh-in.