Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article: Antonio Margarito should not receive such a bad "wrap"

1. Antonio Margarito should not receive such a bad "wrap"

18 Comments by Tommy Allan Published on 01-28-2014 03:38 PM
    January 24th 2009 may not mean much to anyone but to Antonio Margarito it is a date that will forever be etched in his mind. Margarito would square off against Sugar Shane Mosley making the first defense of his WBA welterweight title that he had won 6 months prior in a sensational come from behind performance against previously unbeaten Puerto Rican, Miguel Cotto.

Mosley would stop Margarito in 9 brutal rounds to claim the title but it was what happened in the dressing room, before the fight, that will haunt Margarito untill his dying day.

Mosley’s trainer Nazeem Richardson was present as Margarito was having his hands wrapped and as the right hand of Margarito was finished, everything seemed to be fine with Richardson, and the commissioners who were present.

With the right hand prepared and the left now underway, Richardson asked them to stop and requested to see the knuckle pad that was already inserted on the right hand. At this point, the Californian State Commissioner said “no, the wrap has already been completed”.

After some back and forth, Margarito would put up his right hand saying “look, I’ve got nothing to hide. Look at it, take it off”.

At this point the commissioner instructed the trainer to cut the wrap open and remove the pad.

Now, the way I look at this is nobody in their right mind would have instructed their trainer to remove the wrap if they had something to hide, especially after the commissioner had previously said that they did not have to do so.

If you had been cheating, you’d have kept your mouth shut, right?

After looking into the actual hearings of this case it just gets better. When the commissioners were instructed to give evidence at the hearing they all testified one by one that Margarito was extremely co-operative, offered no resistance and did not give off the slightest indication that something was wrong or he had been caught doing something wrong.

When the actual wraps were inspected they were found to have trace elements of two ingredients that can be found in plaster of paris. This sounded damning, I must admit. Looking further into it though and the word “trace” comes to mind. When there are traces of something, that means there is not a whole lot, I welcome you all to look up the word “trace”. Whatever was found in the knuckle pad was microscopic and after doing yet more digging I discovered that the two elements they found which were sulfur and calcium, can also be found in many everyday household items and both can also be found in common hand cream.

These wraps were handled by 14 different people before they had been examined – In a court of law this case would have been dismissed and laughed out of court.

Another thing about how damaging the wraps were – Top Rank filed a brief stating the wraps were harmless and the CSAC did not at any point dispute this fact.

Antonio Margarito is quite clearly innocent of any wrong doing. People will always point to the Cotto fight and say “look at Cotto’s face”, but if you look at the end of the fight, you’ll see Antonio has his gloves removed in the ring and goes on to shake hands with a number of people including trainers, reporters, commissioners and even Cotto himself. Would someone with plaster wraps expose them and go on to shake hands with a number of people who could catch them out?

Antonio Margarito has always been a proud warrior in the ring, to me cheating would go against everything he stands for and embodies.

2. Total Comments 18

Comments

Something I posted on our old word press.

yeah, i think i remember reading this one at some point along the way.

ofc, generally speaking, the Cotto guys and the Mayweather guys (the ones who hate Tony because he was used as a stick to beat Floyd with) will never hear of any arguments that support a contrary view to the one they've always held, , but i noticed more and more boxing fans turning their stances around and questioning the commission's ruling in the 2-3 years after it all went down.
    Last edited by FuryFuego; 01-28-2014 at 03:50 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't care what depths his corruption reached, though I do believe he and his trainer violated the rules. I was just never impressed with him beyond chin. Mosley destroying him was a wonderful night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"But how could you not send out a warrior like him?"

- Larry 'OG' Merchant getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyavier View Post
    I don't care what depths his corruption reached, though I do believe he and his trainer violated the rules. I was just never impressed with him beyond chin. Mosley destroying him was a wonderful night.
    Not quite correct Why. It took a juiced to the gills Mosely, a lying POS Nazim Richardson & the keystone kops (the CSAC) to beat a severely weight drained sick Tony Margarito.
    What I want to know is what happened to THE BLOCKS that Richardson claimed fell out of Tony's wraps??? Why didnt the CSAC inspector see anything wrong when he watched Capetillo wrap Tony's hands ?? How come the CSAC " MISLAID" the so called tainted wraps when asked to produce them ? After all they were supposed to be the ONLY evidence they had to ban Tony for 2 years.
    All anyone ever saw, the lab that tested the wraps included, was a small gauze pad which was damp & obviously been used before. Technically illegal yes but deemed PERFECTLY HARMLESS by all who saw it but Nazim Richardson. Why Bernard Hopkins has that lying jerk as his trainer I'll never know.
    All Tony did wrong was kick Miguel Cotto's ass when he wasnt supposed to. That cost Oscar , Mayweather etc a lot of $$$$$$$$ because neither had the balls to face Tony in the ring. They had to get rid of him though. The whole scenario STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep on Punchin
    C.J.
    Hall of Fame 2009 Revered and Respected in the Boxing Community

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Rock View Post
    Not quite correct Why. It took a juiced to the gills Mosely, a lying POS Nazim Richardson & the keystone kops (the CSAC) to beat a severely weight drained sick Tony Margarito.
    What I want to know is what happened to THE BLOCKS that Richardson claimed fell out of Tony's wraps??? Why didnt the CSAC inspector see anything wrong when he watched Capetillo wrap Tony's hands ?? How come the CSAC " MISLAID" the so called tainted wraps when asked to produce them ? After all they were supposed to be the ONLY evidence they had to ban Tony for 2 years.
    All anyone ever saw, the lab that tested the wraps included, was a small gauze pad which was damp & obviously been used before. Technically illegal yes but deemed PERFECTLY HARMLESS by all who saw it but Nazim Richardson. Why Bernard Hopkins has that lying jerk as his trainer I'll never know.
    All Tony did wrong was kick Miguel Cotto's ass when he wasnt supposed to. That cost Oscar , Mayweather etc a lot of $$$$$$$$ because neither had the balls to face Tony in the ring. They had to get rid of him though. The whole scenario STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bold

Interesting points. The rematch with Cotto is the only time I think I've ever seen Miguel actually dislike someone and enjoy hitting him. Maybe that was just as much about Mexico vs Puerto Rico, who knows. Margarito doesn't do his reputation any favors with his actions, though (see: mocking Freddie Roach's disease).

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Banker View Post
    Interesting points. The rematch with Cotto is the only time I think I've ever seen Miguel actually dislike someone and enjoy hitting him.
    it's funny you should say that, because the pre-Margarito version of Cotto often exuded a sense of cold satisfaction (borderline sadism) when dishing out punishment. he'd smirk to himself after putting a guy down, for instance.

in fact, he used to speak about it. (from memory, not verbatim) 'it might sound cruel, but it feels good to hit someone and know you hurt them. it means you're doing your job well.'

Cotto loved being the bully. after Tony bullied him, he seemed to lose that streak of satisfaction in his work. that beating softened him a bit mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Rock View Post
    Since we are talking about evidence and the like, CJ, where is your evidence that Mosley used PEDs for the Margarito fight? Do you have any proof of that particular statement? Do you have a contact who forwarded you a blood test that fell through the cracks? If you cannot provide any of that, you're a hypocrite. Nobody said Mosley was juicing for that fight, no questionable test results came up, etc. You can't expect us to just accept that Margarito is not guilty of anything when multiple accounts show that something ILLEGAL was placed into the wrap. At least that story has witnesses, whereas yours is just drumming up shit from years gone by in a failed attempt to connect it to a more recent bout. It's a faulty argument with no credible sources to corroborate your hypothesis.
    TEAM SEX