Article: Boxing’s Super Fans

1. Join Date
    Nov 2013

Jump to Comments

Boxing’s Super Fans

4 Comments by Aaron Richardson Published on 12-17-2013 11:38 PM
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao are the two biggest names in boxing, and have been for the last 5 or so years. Press release after press release, countless articles written in their honour. Every boxing fan alive knows everything there is to know about the two P4P kings, except their Die-Hard fans.

Mayweather's fans mirror their excistance on Floyd. They can relate to the life story of Mayweather's tough upbringing, the felonious father, the single mother. Mayweather’s rags to riches story is pretty much the American dream. It's a empty lyfestyle more or less, so they fill the void with superficial material items like cars, clothing and the need to flash money much like their hero Floyd Jr. The Mayweather super fan will quickly defend Floyd Jr whether he’s in the right or wrong.

Mayweather's superfans believe that Manny Pacquiao is to blame for their failed 2010 fight negotiations. They believe Floyd Jr claims that Pacquiao was using performance enhancing drugs because of Manny refusal to take the test. Ask any Mayweather fan they’ll agree that Manny’s refusal is a clear indication of guilt. How about Floyd's 'sucker punch' on Victor Ortiz, Ortiz was clearly in the wrong, Mayweather took advantage of a man with his hands down, looking away. Still Floyd's followers stood by him.

Pacquiao super fans are similar to Floyd's They will support Manny through thick and thin. There ethos is that Floyd Mayweather is too afraid to face Pacquiao in the ring. They absorbed every excuse spewed from the mouths of Bob Arum and Manny. They actually think that collecting a small vile of blood would weaken Manny enough for him to underperform. They also defend the notion that Pacquiao is so afraid of needles that he is willing to pass on a 40 million plus dollars payday to face Mayweather.
    Regarding his knock out loss to Juan Marquez. Some feel it was the product of a lucky punch while other Pacquiao fans think the loss was somewhat suspicious because of Marquez added muscle and change in physique. These are some of the same allegations that lead Pacquiao to sue Mayweather.

There could be an argument that both Floyd and Manny are in the twilight of their careers. Will they ever fight? Who knows, Manny recently was named Floyd's mandatory challenger. But Floyd then 'moved the goalposts' and said Manny can have the belt, without a fight.

The matchup remains to be the most sought after boxing event of this generation. Without Floyd and Manny would boxing crumble ?, Definitely NOT! Because there's is always someone waiting in the shadows ready to become the next superstar. With his own legion of relentless followers hanging on to hs every word.

Would boxing be hurt without the super fans who idolise and and worship these men? Most definitely YES!
    Last edited by Aaron Richardson; 12-18-2013 at 05:50 AM.

2. Total Comments 4

Comments

this article is about fantom and why

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    FREE NADIA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E-DUBB View Post
    this article is about fantom and why

Writing Staff
    I'm a Floyd fan, but I myself am finding it difficult to praise his performances when his antics outside the ring make him look a fool and honestly somewhat a coward.

I'm a fan of both. I'm not one of those Asian thug wannabes who praises Manny for taking a shit but I see no reason not to support the Fighter of the Decade as long as he's still entertaining in the ring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.