Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article: Lee Calls Out Macklin

1. Join Date
    May 2013

Jump to Comments

Lee Calls Out Macklin

12 Comments by Kurt Robinson Published on 12-13-2013 04:47 PM
    Limerick middleweight Andy Lee has called out fellow Irishman Matthew Macklin. Both fighters are promoted by Lou Dibella so a fight between the pair wouldn't be difficult to make.

Both fighter are looking rebuild after falling short of earning a world title which they both desperately crave.

"Matthew and I have both fought recently, we're both from Ireland, we're both middleweights, we're similarly rated, we're both in a similar position in our careers," he said.

"So let's give the boxing public the fight they crave for and let the best man win.''

Gloves are off - Middleweights Preview
    "This is a massive fight in Ireland, Boston, Chicago or New York and will pack any venue. I am ready for the fight, we both have the same promoter, Lou DiBella therefore the fight can easily be put together.''

"The fight would be a critical moment in both our careers, a win for either of us would propel us to a world title fight again, whoever wins the fight will go on and whoever loses the fight will have to either pack it in or start again.''

"It is a fight I want; people talk about it all the time, so let's make it happen.''

2. Total Comments 12

Comments

Established Pro Ghost with a hammer's Avatar
    Not suprised. Macklin is on the slide big time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'd like this fight. And I don't think Mac is on decline, because I never rated him too high. In fact, I agree with Lee that they should make this fight, it's pretty decent.

Established Pro Ghost with a hammer's Avatar
    Oh its a decent fight....but Lee wouldn't have been so keen 2 years ago!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Writing Staff
    In 2010 Matthew Macklin had Brian Peters his co-promoter sent a written offer in Ireland for a large six figure purse.
    Lee turned it down.

Gloves are off - Middleweights
    Lee : "it wasn't the right time for the fight to happen, but now it is".

Macklin was on the verge of his first world title shot (Sturm) when this fight was proposed to Lee.

Lee was still fighting lower level fighters, and maybe felt he couldnt 'hang' with the more experienced macklin.

Its interesting styles clash with Macklin’s orthodox tight peekaboo stance up against upright southpaw Lee who is 4 inches taller.
    Macklin getting beaten by Felix Sturm, Sergio Martinez, and Gennady Golovkin, and a below averege performance against Lamar Russ Macklin could be o the slide
    and Lee knows this.

I think after witnessing Macklin struggle to beat below par Lamar Russ, he now likes the possibility of facing 2nd tier Macklin.

When he fought Julio Cesar Chavez Jr Lee was hopeless with his inability to follow any instructions from the late Emanuel Steward. He wanted Lee to box Chavez Jr., but instead he got in the trenches When he fought with him and was cut to pieces in 7 rounds.

The interest in a Macklin-Lee fight isn’t what I would call high right now. would have to favor Lee by knockout to beat Macklin. But it’s a fight that would prove nothing other than Lee being able to beat a 2nd tier fighter.

Mops the Gym Floors
    Be a great fight, huge in dublin, 50/50 for me at the moment.

Macklin won't take it.

he will whine for the Sturm rematch and then fight someone obscure.

guy has an overinflated opinion of his worth and standing.

REDEMPTION

Mops the Gym Floors
    Couldnt agree more, golovkin beat the piss out of him & i think sturm would stop him next time.

I think Murray beats the pair of em..

Quote Originally Posted by Rida74 View Post
    I think Murray beats the pair of em..
    You would ha ha, you not coming to mine this year for xmas, good as well as i cant be doing with your 'Mike Tyson was the greatest fighter of our generation' talk
    Footnote: Murray would fair better against Lee then Macklin, IMO