Article: Guerrero sidesteps Thurman, wants Broner-Maidana winner

1. Join Date
    Nov 2013

Jump to Comments

Guerrero sidesteps Thurman, wants Broner-Maidana winner

4 Comments by Aaron Richardson Published on 12-12-2013 05:50 PM
    Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (31 -2- 1, 18KO’s) has reportedly flat out turned down the proposition of facing hard hitting Keith Thurman.

Instead of facing Thurman, Guerrero has asked to face the winner of the December 14th fight between Adrian Broner and Marcos Maidana. And it looks like GBP will again accommodate Guerrero.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN’s Dan Raphael “I felt Thurman against Guerrero would have been a very good fight, but Guerrero and his team declined the initial offer, but would be willing to wait until next year”.

And Golden Boy is defiantly in no rush to pit Thurman up against Adrian Broner. They would like to make a megastar out of Broner and putting Thurman in with him would possibly crumble there plans. Thurman may have too much size and power for the 5’7” Champion and could even turn out to be a mismatch.

Schaefer is instead trying to match Thurman against Jesus Soto Karass, who looked very good in stopping Former Champion Andre Berto in 12 rounds in July.

Stylising the contest Guerrero knows there are limitations on how well he would fair in the fight with Thurman if it did happen, I don’t think he matches up well with against him. It would be interesting, not nearly as big as Broner vs. Thurman but like I said above Golden Boy is in no hurry for that said fight because of the danger involved for Mr Broner.

This fight would be a tough one for Guerrero as he wouldn’t be able to just walk Thurman down like he did against Berto last year because Thurman’s movement is pretty solid (Something he is underrated for). Guerrero would have to cut off the ring and drag Thurman into a dog-fight to stand the best chance of victory.

Even this could be difficult for Guerrero as he doesn’t have the kind of power that that would help him against a power hitter like Thurman.

Thurman looked good against Diego Chaves, it wasn’t an easy ride though as Chaves made Thurman work which forced him to make adjustments during the fight and use his defensive skills early on ultimately neutralising Chaves’s power.

Thurman won the fight with a 10 th round TKO, but with his constant movement and his defensive approach, he eliminated the exciting factor we saw in his previous fights, he may need to step up in order to secure those big money fights which he desires.

“The Ghost” has a reputation issue to deal with. Against Mayweather Guerrero talked big, looked big and promised us all an exciting fight, he failed to step up and delivered a poor performance and for the better part of 12 rounds was a slow walking target for Floyd’s short stinging right hand leads.

I don’t see Broner vs. Thurman anytime soon, so Thurman vs. Guerrero may be on (but not until next year). But having talked his way into the big money fight with Mayweather and then failing to impress, he will need to face the likes of Kell Brook and Amir Khan before he gets another big payday against the likes of Broner.

Fight fans know that the ideal option is Thurman vs. Broner (assuming Broner wins), or even the winner of Broner-Maidana take on Floyd Mayweather.

But in our infectious, sometimes political sport its never that simple.
    Last edited by Mr Burke; 12-12-2013 at 05:54 PM.

2. Total Comments 4

Comments

u like ur welters big man, always tipped u for heavyweight fan good piece bro

I would like to see more Guerrero vs Thurman than vs Broner / Chino, but any combination could be good fight, I hope Broner vs Bradley or Thurman happen in next year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Does anyway blame him for this? I mean what would u do?

my problem is i don't adore manny and i don't hate on floyd like most

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the mayweather defense

- for your listening pleasure

He side-stepped Maidana too.