Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article: The Danger Zone: Broner vs. Maidana

1. Join Date
    Nov 2013

Jump to Comments

The Danger Zone: Broner vs. Maidana

17 Comments by Aaron Richardson Published on 12-10-2013 05:48 PM
    A much anticipated battle for the WBA Welterweight championship is set to take place this Saturday December 14th at the Alamdome, San Antonio Texas. On paper this is a typical Boxer vs. Puncher match up, a closer look into this intriguing contest reveals holes in both Maidana and Broner’s game that could be the downfall of each man come Saturday.

Former WBA Junior Welterweight Champion Marcos “El Chino” Maidana (34 -3- 31 KO’s) is known throughout the boxing world as an aggressive punching powerhouse. He’s also noted as being consistently one of the most exciting fighters in the entire game today.
    Maidana first made the pugilistic community take notice in 2009 when he stopped Victor Ortiz in the 6 th round to claim the Interim WBA Junior Welterweight title, a title he defended three times before losing it in a Fight of the year–worthy battle against Amir Khan in 2010. Maidana then regained the belt in 2011 during a classic with future hall of famer Erik Morales.

“El Chino” now a Welterweight has won four of his last five, all by knockout, with his most recent outing a 6th round stoppage of Josesito Lopez on June 8th this year

Adrian “The Problem” Broner (27 -0- 22 KO’s) could very well be boxing’s next superstar. The 24 year old boxer-puncher who on one hand has the charisma and fundamental talents to match Floyd Mayweather, one the other possibly the biggest ego to ever grace a ring.
    “The Problem” won his first world title in 2011 when he knocked out Vicente Martin Rodriguez for the WBO Super Featherweight crown, jumping through divisions he then added the WBC Lightweight strap to his trophy cabinet with an impressive stoppage of Antonio DeMarco in 2012.

Broner’s biggest scalp so far came this past June when he defeated light punching but durable Paulie Malinaggi where he jumped from 135 to 147lbs and claimed the WBA Welterweight championship in the process.

This could be a tricky fight for Broner as he doesn’t have the same kind of power that Maidana has, and he lacks the work rate and punch output to compensate for his lack of power. The Malinaggi fight exposed Broner in certain ways, his tendency to lean away from shots and wait for the counter punch thus leaving his midsection open, against a pillow fisted fighter such as Malinaggi this is tolerable but against a vicious body puncher like Maidana it could be an long night for Broner. He does do a good job of picking his opponents off with straight right hands, and throws low velocity shots which don’t do much damage but score points nonetheless.

Broner can often let his ego come into play; he has been hit with shots when there wasn’t a need to be hit (see Gavin Rees fight). Maidana given the chance could possibly KO Adrian in this scenario.

Maidana is just the opposite, he can hurt you with every punch he throws. He lacks the hand speed of a natural Welterweight, so opponents can see the shots and brace for them, this could wear Broner down in the later stage of the fight.

Many people forget how talented Broner is when his arrogance overwhelms his skills. The Philly shell defence coupled with fast hands fairly powerful punches and excellent movement, make him a nightmare for most fighters, Maidana has struggled with ‘fast punchers’ like Khan and Alexander in the past who can hit and move.

The two haven’t exactly been complimentary in the recent weeks during the build up.

“Maidana is one dimensional and not in my league,” said Broner. “Im a Ferrari and he’s a go-kart, and my fans will see this on my return to Texas, im going to put on a show watch me light Maidana up like a Christmas tree on December 14th ”. Harsh words, but when Broner’s involved this is commonplace in having little or no respect for anyone or there apparent skill set, even someone with the ‘one-punch’ knockout power that Maidana has.

“Everyone knows this kid has a big mouth, that doesn’t bother me because his mouth can’t fight for him,” said Maidana. “Whether he has the guts to stand in front of me or if he runs, ill be getting the KO either way, im leaving the ring with the belt”.

Now one could say Broner has got under Maidana’s skin a little with the insults, or maybe it's just the usual response from the underdog. Whichever it is the Argentine knockout artist seems determined to hold a piece of Welterweight gold once more. Who will emerge from The Danger Zone as Champion?

Will it be the sharp and precise Broner or the aggressive and powerful Maidana?
    Could the winner be Mayweather's next 'solid' opponent ?, tune in This Saturday.
    Last edited by Aaron Richardson; 12-10-2013 at 06:18 PM.

2. Total Comments 17

Comments

Very Nice Piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't know how I feel about this article or the boxing IQ of it's writer.

Assuming Broner would fight pillow fisted Malignaggi the same as the hard punching Maidana is absurd and quite frankly, makes me think
    Mayweather - Broner - DSG - Bradley

Writing Staff
    Nice, thanks for the boxing lesson my friend

Quote Originally Posted by King Phantom View Post
    I don't know how I feel about this article or the boxing IQ of it's writer.

Assuming Broner would fight pillow fisted Malignaggi the same as the hard punching Maidana is absurd and quite frankly, makes me think

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Richardson View Post
    Nice, thanks for the boxing lesson my friend
    Ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Rida74 View Post
    Ha ha

Just saying. When a dude ain't got no power, his foe will take more chances. When he does have power, ones defense is more tightened. Styles make fights.
    Mayweather - Broner - DSG - Bradley

Agree, but to diminish a guys boxing knowledge jus coz he tried to convince us of Maidanas threat to broner is pretty unfair.

he may not fight him the same, but he often does regardless of the power the other dude posseses,

i thought the article maybe swayed to much in Maidanas favour but it was an interesting read anyway
    Last edited by Rida74; 12-10-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Amateur Fighter
    As much as I would love to see Maidana whack a huge dent into this arrogant fool I can only see one outcome and that is a Broner victory. For all of his faults (most notably his disgusting attitude and contempt for fans and fellow fighters alike) Broner is extremely talented and possesses a multitude of skills, along with great speed and a bravado that means he will put bums on seats and PPV cash in the bank.

Maidana will come forward for as long as this lasts, trying to land the big shot but I can just see him walking into something and getting stopped. One thing he does have is a bit of power and if he were to land on Broner and hurt him then things could get interesting fairly quickly. Hopefully Thurman can beat Soto-Karass and if and when Broner wins then the two can have a big money showdown early next year.

Established Pro Ghost with a hammer's Avatar
    I see Maidana struggling to land clean shots and getting stopped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Established Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wellings View Post
    As much as I would love to see Maidana whack a huge dent into this arrogant fool I can only see one outcome and that is a Broner victory. For all of his faults (most notably his disgusting attitude and contempt for fans and fellow fighters alike) Broner is extremely talented and possesses a multitude of skills, along with great speed and a bravado that means he will put bums on seats and PPV cash in the bank.

Maidana will come forward for as long as this lasts, trying to land the big shot but I can just see him walking into something and getting stopped. One thing he does have is a bit of power and if he were to land on Broner and hurt him then things could get interesting fairly quickly. Hopefully Thurman can beat Soto-Karass and if and when Broner wins then the two can have a big money showdown early next year and Thurman can kill Broner and then we will all be happy without that pos breathing our air.
    Fixed