Article: Alex Leapai - Number 1..

1. Alex Leapai - Number 1..

9 Comments by Ben Thomsett Published on 12-04-2013 06:06 PM
    Because I spend my working hours writing, I have little patience when it comes to bad fights; and even less with worse political decisions in boxing. This week - two days ago - a decision was made by the WBO which, on balance looks crazier than anything Don King could come up with in his darkest moments. Eddie Hearn would be pushed to put a sparkly top to this pile of shit: Alex Leapai has been voted to the position of number one with the WBO. Yes, brother, you read that right.

For the uninitiated here's Leapai's stats - W30 (24KO), L4 (2KO), D3. His last loss was against Kevin "Kingpin" Johnson, who won by TKO just 6 months before losing every single round to Tyson Fury. He now leapfrogs Fury.

The reason for this apparent biblical miracle is one of two things: either beating Dennis Boytsov last month was one of the biggest scalps in heavyweight boxing, or something funny is going on. Take your pick. Next week the WBO will decide if he is now the mandatory challenger for Wladimir's WBO crown. Yes, it's that simple. I suppose it's easy to mock the WBO; a bit like laughing at a terminal drunk falling over on ice. But that shouldn't excuse their behaviour. This time it's not for laughs.

Boytsov was undefeated, had fought such luminaries as [Insert vague journeymen's names here], and had his best day out several years ago when he won the European crown. He's a classic case of the terminally afraid; a man so terrified of losing his unbeaten record that he would knock seven bells out of winnie the pooh if he thought Sauerland would put up the cash. It's wrong, in all senses of the word.

Leapai beat Boytsov last month in a bout which looked like two dairy bulls going through a slow motion mating ritual. He's a slugger in the mold of a crapper George Foreman C1995, except he doesn't have George's brains and he doesn't have George's power. What he does have, are the boxing Gods on his side. Not that it'll do him any good when Wladimir gets hold of him (pun intended).

So there we have it. The WBO will hand another poor schmuck to Wladimir, like a belly-dancer at a Moroccan wedding giving out sugared almonds. In the land of boxing the back-room boys are kings and the fans lap up the scraps from their tables and better learn to say "Thanks". Correct.....?

2. Total Comments 9

Comments

this guy actually jumped from #8 to mandatory challenger in less than a fortnight

REDEMPTION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This article is great. On point substantively and also funny

Only suggestion I might have made was to change the article's title to

Leapai -- Number 2

TBH this article say just the truth

Good article. Even Klit fans won't defend this shitty fight. Oh wait... they will.

And fools wonder where the criticism of Wlad's resume comes from. They always say "He's fighting the best available, you can't blame him that it's all shit!" Alex = best available HW fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyavier View Post
    Good article. Even Klit fans won't defend this shitty fight. Oh wait... they will.

And fools wonder where the criticism of Wlad's resume comes from. They always say "He's fighting the best available, you can't blame him that it's all shit!" Alex = best available HW fighter.
    That's his mandatory though, Why. To be fair Wlad didn't pick him and I'm glad Wlad keeps the titles unified, it's good for the sport and for the division.

Quote Originally Posted by djt117 View Post
    That's his mandatory though, Why. To be fair Wlad didn't pick him and I'm glad Wlad keeps the titles unified, it's good for the sport and for the division.
    I don't think so. If the sanctioning bodies aren't worth shit, then don't respect them. I can see why he's taking this fight but that doesn't make it good. It's shit and is another opponent that adds nothing to his resume.

Leapai to KO Wlad! Wait and see.

Meathead is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Whyavier View Post
    I don't think so. If the sanctioning bodies aren't worth shit, then don't respect them. I can see why he's taking this fight but that doesn't make it good. It's shit and is another opponent that adds nothing to his resume.
    Like anyone he fights is going to add anything to his resume in your eyes. He could batter Chisora, Wilder, Fury, Pulev and Stiverne in 2014 and you would say they were shit anyway.

Follow us on Mixlr to Listen to the BA Podcast Live -

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Man View Post
    Like anyone he fights is going to add anything to his resume in your eyes. He could batter Chisora, Wilder, Fury, Pulev and Stiverne in 2014 and you would say they were shit anyway.
    No he couldn't. He could hug them for twelve rounds but there's zero chance he actually looks like a fighter/boxer against them. That doesn't mean he should be facing the worst names he can get away with either.