Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article: Prizefighter Recap - A Quick Buck to Make

1. Join Date
    Jan 2013

Jump to Comments

Prizefighter Recap - A Quick Buck to Make

17 Comments by Alex Morris Published on 11-15-2013 09:51 AM
    Prizefighter Recap - A Quick Buck to Make

In the famous York Hall last night, boxing fans across the globe were treated to a farce of enormous proportions, as “Prizefighter: The International Heavyweights” was broadcast to a reluctant audience, many tuning in to catch a glimpse of a very, very old legend. In it’s premise, it did not disappoint.

The circus act began before the first bell even rang, as former drugs cheat Larry Olubamiwo was pitted against American journeyman Jason Gavern, who launched his bizarre personality on the crowd with an awful Ric Flair impression. 16 seconds after the first “ding”, Olubamiwo was on the canvas with a cuffing left hook, and quickly sprang to his feet after the count. The Brit’s shorts were hiked up to his nipples, rivaling Simon Cowell for the worst sense of dress. After a scrappy first round, both men engaged in wild, slothenly swinging hooks long after the first bell, reinforcing this constant ambiance of a pub brawl. Gavern went on to secure the decision over Olubamiwo, and in his post fight interview proclaimed a desire for pizza in his locker room.

The main event of the night wobbled into the ring as the man formerly known as James Toney. No doubt a legend of the sport for his exploits as much younger man, including infamous battles with Roy Jones Jr and a FOTY performance against Vassiliy Jirov, last night we were treated to a blob of a man, often clowned and outworked by near novices of the game.

Toney at times did show a few signs of his old self. He slipped punches, countered beautifully, even showed a little power in his crisp right hand. But all this was against the most pitiful of competition, and despite this, sycophantic adulation and praise was showered upon the American by The Usual Suspects.

Indeed, Watt and Halling could’ve been a comedy duo to rival the likes of Abbott & Costello and Laurel & Hardy. The absolute drivel conjured up by Watt in claiming that Toney “Still has a lot to offer” after beating a 6 fight novice in 3 round fight would be less painful to hear if it actually were scripted humour. Halling chipped in with facetious nonsense at times, calling the odd fighter a “Classy Operator”, “Oozing class” or some bizarre variant. Before the Semi-Finals commenced, we were gleefully informed by the pair that the average age of the remaining combatants was 39. A fantastic sale, gents!

The real icing on the cake was trotting out an actual legend of the sport in the incomparable Larry Holmes, and having him stand between more sycophantic lackey’s in the form of Glenn McCrory, David Price and Johnny Nelson. Between fights, poor Larry was given a microphone and asked what he thought of such “great action”. Glen would occasionally chip in with an awful grin on his face, claiming that the men in the ring “didn’t possess the jab of a Larry Holmes”. It was cringe TV ground down into powder form, and dusted across the long reaching fields of fans. The problem is, who could really accept this?

Prizefighter has always been about inviting more casual fans of the sport into enjoying an easier on the eye night of boxing. The 3 round format tends to beget aggressive styles and thus more enthralling fights. The promise of a famous name or two attracts a greater television audience, with many from the US tuning in to see this Matchroom staple. I was at great debate with many people on Twitter, who mostly agreed that this show was going to be a farce, but regardless, it would secure the all-important ratings. Indeed, the viewing figures were likely through the roof, but this can only serve as a negative in the long run for British boxing as a whole.

Those who did tune in left with a sour taste in their mouths. I have yet to see a single positive comment about the show that didn’t revolve around how “hilarious” it was. Should a boxing show, promoted as being a serious contest between 8 tough veterans and novices alike, be praised for providing laughs? It entertained and enthralled, but only in the sense of police car chase, or the demolition of a building. Cheap thrills for all the wrong reasons.

Many now view Hearn as part of the problem, trotting out delusional and punch-drunk fighters like James Toney into a world of more potential pain and future complications. Sure, he got a lot tuning in to his brand last night, and he got to showcase rising star Anthony Joshua to a larger audience, which was likely the plan all along. But this, along with a string of poor judging decisions in 2013, are part of growing concerns for Sky and Matchroom, and a myriad fans, international and homegrown, are starting to see beyond the thin veil of a “new age” promoter. Instead, they see just the usual - a man working the controls of a business, which will stop at nearly nothing to make a quick buck.
    "If you know you're fighting for the Heavyweight Championship of the world and you start to bleed - so what. If your eye starts to close - SO WHAT."

Follow me on Twitter -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2. Total Comments 17

Comments

I didn't watch it, but i made a concious decision to stop watching prizefighter after the cruiser weights awhile back.

Format and idea has always been interesting, but the calibre of fighter they have been attracting has been piss poor and the refereeing has been shite.

Alex Morris ... tellin' it like it is

The truth hurts sometimes but keep preachin' it, man ...

We have enough sugarcoated crap articles flying around across the 'Net. Glad to see someone still keeps it real.

Alex keeping it real.

Better watch out mate or the haters will arrive

REDEMPTION

Cheers fellas, appreciated as always.

Last night was just a complete farce and people talk about the ratings as the be all and end all. Imagine if TR or GBP sunk that low, they'd be royally fucking slated.

Even worse is that the BBBofC sanction this shit, letting awful, brain damaged fighters risk their health, whilst suspending some guys for a contract breach, or for being a bit rude on twitter. Outrageous.
    "If you know you're fighting for the Heavyweight Championship of the world and you start to bleed - so what. If your eye starts to close - SO WHAT."

Follow me on Twitter -

If I didn't watch it last night and read that Alex, i'd now want to watch it. It is what it is, decent entertainment for a Thursday night. Can't beat a bit of car crash TV, if Ali said he was coming back to fight Holmes i'd watch it. Fucking boxing snobs
    It's Chino time!

Quote Originally Posted by CromScott View Post
    If I didn't watch it last night and read that Alex, i'd now want to watch it. It is what it is, decent entertainment for a Thursday night. Can't beat a bit of car crash TV, if Ali said he was coming back to fight Holmes i'd watch it. Fucking boxing snobs
    That's my point, it is car crash TV and a complete joke, but Sky have the gall to dress it up as something completely serious and normal. They perpetuate the problem of encouraging fighters who are so clearly damaged from the sport to keep on fighting.

Toney sounded like a James Brown impersonator in his interviews last night. Roy Jones is starting to slur a bit. With the recent news about Frankie Leal and Mago, Sky/Matchroom should've had more decency and respect.

Follow me on Twitter -

Meh, me for one like freakshows and other farces. Sad to see Toney like this, maybe he needs some TRT. He tried his best but his time is over. Defensive fighters aren't exactly the best for a format such as that of Prizefighter where you only have fast paced 3 rounds.

Meathead is back!

Contender
    Last night was horrendous, I was hoping Joshua could step up and save the night. But the guy they put him in against was as poor a fighter you will see. Even to the untrained eye it was an appalling mismatch that brought laughter from the crowd. No gold medallist should be in the ring with such shite opposition

Once in a blue moon you do get a good Prizefighter and it has helped a few fighters get noticed BUT it's on far too often. If they insist on doing it, I'd be much more up for it if it was once a year and more time was given for the fighters to prepare. Also gives them longer to find talented prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Morris View Post
    Cheers fellas, appreciated as always.

Last night was just a complete farce and people talk about the ratings as the be all and end all. Imagine if TR or GBP sunk that low, they'd be royally fucking slated.

Even worse is that the BBBofC sanction this shit, letting awful, brain damaged fighters risk their health, whilst suspending some guys for a contract breach, or for being a bit rude on twitter. Outrageous.
    as I said on the pod last week mate, its a fucking outrage that Matchroom are allowed to pollute Sky dates with that shite. Didn't even watch it, I caught the Josuha fight and probably the last round of the final.

REDEMPTION