Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesnar Requests Meeting w/Dana & Lorenzo, Return Possible?

Lesnar Requests Meeting w/Dana & Lorenzo, Return Possible?

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/...-return-on-tap

Those who thought they saw the last of Brock Lesnar in the UFC had a surprise waiting for them on Saturday night.

The former UFC heavyweight champion announced his mixed martial arts retirement after a one-sided loss to Alistair Overeem on Dec. 30 so he could return to World Wrestling Entertainment.

But Lesnar kicked off a fresh round of speculation about his future on Saturday night, simply by making a stroll across the floor of the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Moments before UFC 146's main event, the heavyweight title fight between Junior dos Santos and Frank Mir, Lesnar turned heads in the arena by showing up in the front row and chatting up both Zuffa president Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

In White's media scrum following the postfight press conference at the MGM, he said that during their conversation, Lesnar requested a personal audience later in the evening. But White could only speculate as to what's on the former champion's mind.

"He said, ‘what are you doing tonight?'" White said. "I said I have a press conference, and he said he wanted to meet with me face to face. You never know with him. he might want to come back, he might just want to hang out."

The 34-year old Lesnar won the UFC heavyweight championship in just his fourth pro fight, defeating Randy Couture at UFC 91, and seemed on the verge of a long title reign. But he was never the same as a fighter after a prolonged bout with Diverticulitis. Lesnar lost his title to Cain Velasquez at UFC 121 via first-round TKO, then lost to Overeem before deciding to go back to the WWE, where he first became a star pay-per-view attraction a decade ago.

Lesnar returned to the WWE in April and headlined a pay-pew-view event, which reportedly drew a disappointing buy rate, leading to the speculation Lesnar could be looking for an MMA return.

For his part, White said he thinks Lesnar could return and compete.

"I still think Brock Lesnar is one of the top guys in the heavyweight division," White said. "Is he in the top five? I don't know. We'll see."

As White and Fertitta built the UFC over the past decade, they've kept a strict wall between mixed martial arts, which is a legitimate athletic competition, and pro wrestling, which is athletic show biz. But White might be softening his stance a bit, as he indicated he may be open to the idea of letting Lesnar do both.

"I think people get it now with Brock," White said. "Brock is a huge WWE star and huge UFC star. He's accomplished at both. ... He went back to the WWE, there's no secret. I think people get it. There's nothing fake going on here, it's real. They get it."

A return is minimum a year away if true

I agree. besides that fuck Brock Lesnar. He's just Junior hating i'm sure.

King said, "Either way, this fight is going to be a fight."

Pro Prospect
    Why bother Lesnar? The one win that everyone knows you for was in essence you beating up an old man who weighed at least fifty pounds less than you. The only thing you're good for is attracting idiot pro wrestling fans into buying PPV cards.

Unified Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineappleman View Post
    Why bother Lesnar? The one win that everyone knows you for was in essence you beating up an old man who weighed at least fifty pounds less than you. The only thing you're good for is attracting idiot pro wrestling fans into buying PPV cards.
    Frank Mir?

Fact is prime Lesner was a beast before the illness -and even after the illness he was only losing to Overeem and Cain.

Pro Prospect
    I was actually talking about Randy Couture (I know that might appear to be a little blasphemy, but what the hell), he was a great light heavy, but he was lucky to win the heavyweight title. How do you think he would have done in the current UFC heavweight division?

... and Frank Mir is overrated as all hell. Did not deserve a title shot. Prime Lesnar was a beast, but only because he was so much bigger than everyone else in the division at the time. Personally I think JDS, Werdum and really any other big fighter with takedown defence combined with even solid striking could have destroyed him.

Unified Champion
    I know you were talking about Couture thats just not his best win. Mir is a master on the ground and thats exactly where Lesner destroyed him, everyone saw how shit scared JDS was of Mir's ground game....with good reason. I agree that lesner did not deserve his shot at the title, but i disagree that he only beat guys with size (or that the hw's are bigger now) Lesner won with his speed, his speed was amazing at first for such a huge guy and with that speed not many could stop his double.

Pro Prospect
    He got wrestlefucked against the cage. While a solid win and good fight, it looked like Mir gave up early. Honestly when you have thirty pounds on someone, trap them against the cage and hit them in the face repeatedly, especially at that sort of elite level there is nothing they can do. I really don't care how good the Jiu Jitsu is. If that happened in the middle of the cage it would have gone down a little different.

JDS was just being smart. Overeem could have wrestled with Werdum if he felt the inclination, but he chose not too because it was the smarter option. Same thing here. He was carrying Mir a little as well.

Unified Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineappleman View Post
    He got wrestlefucked against the cage. While a solid win and good fight, it looked like Mir gave up early. Honestly when you have thirty pounds on someone, trap them against the cage and hit them in the face repeatedly, especially at that sort of elite level there is nothing they can do. I really don't care how good the Jiu Jitsu is. If that happened in the middle of the cage it would have gone down a little different.

JDS was just being smart. Overeem could have wrestled with Werdum if he felt the inclination, but he chose not too because it was the smarter option. Same thing here. He was carrying Mir a little as well.
    Everything here is correct just worded badly...

Lesners elite wrestling and takedowns did nullify Mir's BJJ, to Lesners credit. Overeem and JDS did not want to go to the ground with Werdum and Mir due to there excellent jujitsu.

Pro Prospect
    Obviously I have worded that poorly.
    I maintain that it was Lesnar's size that allowed him to trap and demolish Mir like that against the cage, more than his wrestling ability. Not saying Lesnar can't wrestle, but I feel like a bigger guy with the same Jiu Jitsu credentials could have got out of that position.

Overeem and JDS didn't want to go to the ground not because they were scared of their opponents ground games (in fact Overeem and JDS both have pretty solid Jiu Jitsu of their own), but because it was purely easier for them to win on their feet.