Thread: Urijah Faber: Dana White 'was basically lying' and telling me I was fighting Ivan Menjivar

Urijah Faber: Dana White 'was basically lying' and telling me I was fighting Ivan Menjivar

Welcome to the world of network television, where every top secret plot has multiple endings to prevent spoilers or early leaks -- even if it means keeping your own cast and crew in the dark.

If Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight number one contender Urijah Faber looked surprised when he found out he would be fighting Renan Pegado at UFC 148 over the Fourth of July weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada, it's because he was.

UFC President Dana White told "The California Kid" on last Friday night's episode of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 15: "Live" that "Barao" would be filling in for the injured Dominick Cruz when the two square off for the 135-pound Interim belt this summer in "Sin City."

So what was so surprising about one of the worst kept secrets in all of mixed martial arts (MMA)?

Well, as Faber explains to Larry Pepe on this Thursday's edition of Pro MMA Radio, White "was basically lying" to him, insisting he would be fighting Ivan Menjivar in a rematch from their controversial 2006 fight in Canada, which ended in disqualification.

"I had first assumed it was going to be Barao, or McDonald or Menjivar and Barao was my first prediction. I started getting tape on him as soon as I found out about Dominick. This was a couple of weeks ago. Then, when Dana came in to do the announcement, I asked him if there were any hints or insights on who it would be and he was saying 'Oh, you wouldn't believe what all had gone down, how McDonald broke his hand and Barao didn't want to leave Brazil, to leave Aldo's side, because Aldo was training' and all this crazy stuff, so I didn't know for awhile. Then like two days before the thing, I had text Dana and he was basically lying to me, saying it was gonna be Menjivar. For like two days I thought I might be fighting Menjivar. Then the day of the announcement, I was like 'Are you sure it's not Barao?' And he was like, 'Yeah.' But I had a feeling that it was. Then Dana apologized right before he announced it, for basically lying, which is kinda weird, I thought, because Barao was there. I don't care who I fight, I told Dana I wouldn't say anything anyway, if he was thinking I might spoil the surprise, or what the deal was."

Michael McDonald was likely the promotion's first choice for stepping in; however, "Mayday" broke his hand not long after pasting Miguel Torres back at UFC 145 in Atlanta. It sounds like Pegado needed some convincing -- and probably got it from "Junior" -- before ultimately accepting the fight against Faber on July 7.

In his absence, bantamweight "Hulk," Mike Easton, will step in on short notice and face off against "The Pride of El Salvador."

http://www.mma**********/2012/5/21/30...-148#storyjump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unified Champion
    Why the fuk would he be fighting Ivan Menjivar for the interim title

That's really stupid. Most people felt Barao was getting it, it's not like it was a huge surprise he could've spoiled

Unified Champion
    Yea in a post i made i said i hoped it was Barao but expected them to put the free Michael McDonald in - didnt know he broke his hand.

White admits to lying to UFC 148's Faber – and Menjivar, McDonald and Pickett

UFC president Dana White will go to great lengths to protect a secret.

Just ask Urijah Faber – or Ivan Menjivar, Michael McDonald and Brad Pickett, for that matter.

When injured UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz was forced out of a title fight with his rival coach on "The Ultimate Fighter: Live," Faber was slated for an interim title at UFC 148. But even he was surprised by the eventual choice of his opponent.

Faber now co-headlines the UFC 148 pay-per-view event, which takes place July 7 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. While the surging Renan Barao (28-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) ultimately got the Faber (26-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) fight, White wanted to break the news on the May 18 edition of "TUF: Live."

So when Faber called him before the announcement, White wasn't sure what to do.

"So I lied to him," White admitted. "This show, even though it's not live, we want to break some [news] on the show. With you [expletives], it's tough to do. You're out looking for the next big (scoop).

"I knew if I told him, he's going to tell his camp. His camp is going to go tell this guy and that guy, and that's how this thing going to get out. So I said, 'You're fighting Ivan Menjivar.'"

So when Barao, not Menjivar, emerged from the backstage area during the recent "TUF" episode, Faber was legitimately surprised.

But before White brought Barao to Las Vegas for the announcement, he also told fellow contenders Menjivar, McDonald and Pickett to prepare for a possible trip to Sin City.

"We had Menjivar, Barao, McDonald and Pickett all thinking they were flying to Las Vegas," White said. "Menjivar actually thought his tickets were being booked and he was coming to Las Vegas.

"When Barao was announced, [Urijah] had no idea. That's why I said, 'Sorry bro' (during the episode)."

The announcement did little to help this season's ratings, though. Episode No. 11 of "TUF: Live" drew an all-time series low 821,000 viewers.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/28906/whit...nd-pickett.mma