PDA

View Full Version : If Anderson was in the Main Event last night...

Kenny Powers
05-01-2011, 03:18 PM
If Anderson Silva had been in the main event last night and performed the way GSP did he would have been booed out of the arena. Terrible performance. I've looked around the forums today and now all those GSP fans that were saying he would beat Silva are calling for GSP-Diaz instead. Even they know Silva would maul GSP!!

If Jake Shields can send GSP to the hospital with his striking, imagine what the true Number one pound-for-pound fighter in the world Anderson Silva would do!!

imported_BDUB
05-01-2011, 06:12 PM
GSP did himself no favors last night. Fight was subpar.

imported_TommyGunn
05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
GSP sucked and he knew it. Anderson would toy with him.

Elkisland
05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Yep that was an unfortunate display. Anderson is and had been #1 in my book. The rest of the fights were great tho.

Kenny Powers
05-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah overall a great card minus that fight. You could almost see the fear in GSP when asked about Silva lol

Layton
05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
you lot under estimate the skills gsp has, he makes things boring coz he nullifies opponents. i think he would come to fight if it was silva, anyway fight wont happen anytime soon, i'd like to see silva vs bader as a just see and gsp vs franklin or w silva

Kenny Powers
05-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Dana talked about trying to get Diaz-GSP, that'd be interesting too. And Lorenzo tweeted the question GSP/Diaz or GSO/Silva? So it seems to be one of those

OKMike
05-01-2011, 10:20 PM
It was impressive that GSP stopped Shields from taking him down every time. That has not happened before. He had a solid game plan and stuck to it. GSP does not have Rampage like striking power, regardless what any fight science reports says. If GSP fought Nick Diaz, he wouldn't stand with him for long. He would take him down at will and nullify his sub attempts.

snafu
05-02-2011, 12:43 AM
If GSP tried to stand with Silva, Silva would destroy him. GSP wouldn't try to do that though and would take him down. Last night's fight was odd to say the least. A buddy of mine put it this way... "a wrestler vs. a jujitsu guy and they box the entire time". The fight was not exciting, but the rest of the card was exactly that (especially the Aldo v. Hominick fight near the end). (I'd like to see Aldo v. Hominick 2, btw).

As far as GSP v. Silva, I'd love to see it, but GSP did himself no favors last night. It certainly wasn't the type of dominating performance that would make others scream that he should jump up in class to fight Silva. A non-title fight at a catch weight of say 177.5 would be interesting if they both agreed to it, but honestly, I don't see Silva wanting to drop down. Silva is so cut already that I just can't see him dropping more for it. That would really favor GSP if he does. Think about Silva for a minute, though. Where is there an ounce of fat on him? Now ask him to cut nearly 8 pounds off that? I can see the thing not happening due to Silva not wanting to cut. He could (and probably would) be like, "If he wants to fight me, come up to my class.. Otherwise, forget it." The fact that Silva has fought at 205# just supports that thought. I suppose it just comes down to how motivated Silva is by money. Dana could throw a ton of money at him for that fight. If GSP v. Silva happens, I see no way that GSP stands with him. Silva is certainly vulnerable on the ground. Sonnen showed us that.

Anybody else want to see Jon Bones Jones vs. Silva?

Elkisland
05-02-2011, 01:27 AM
@snafu

I just think it's to early to have Bones fight Anderson. Bones hasn't even had a title defense. Not saying I wouldn't watch with awe if the fight happened.

I also think Anderson would completely destroy GSP. I'd watch that too but I'm more interested in Andy just finishing with wins and retiring as the best.

snafu
05-02-2011, 04:56 AM
@Elkisland

Agreed that it is too early for a Bones v. Silva discussion, but Bones is shaping up to potentially have that level of talent. It would be an exciting fight for sure, but I too would like to see Bones get more time tested too. His rise has been pretty meteoric.

I'm not so sure that Silva would destroy GSP. If it stays on their feet, then absolutely. On the ground, though, GSP could take him. It would come down to whether or not Silva could land some huge blows before getting taken down... (not that taking him down would be easy, mind you)

Joabbuac.
05-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Diaz might beat GSP based on that :laugh: He is a much better striker than sheilds, plus he would be able to get close pretty easy. GSP wouldnt be so keen on taking Diaz down either.

KING JB
05-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Anderson Silva would eat him alive...GSP was good enough to beat a GREAT fighter in Jake Shields, but an ELITE fighter like Anderson Silva would eat him alive....GSP better stick to the little guys.

Layton
05-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Anderson Silva would eat him alive...GSP was good enough to beat a GREAT fighter in Jake Shields, but an ELITE fighter like Anderson Silva would eat him alive....GSP better stick to the little guys.

welcome back king, have you had that fight yet dude?

Kenny Powers
05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
If GSP tried to stand with Silva, Silva would destroy him. GSP wouldn't try to do that though and would take him down. Last night's fight was odd to say the least. A buddy of mine put it this way... "a wrestler vs. a jujitsu guy and they box the entire time". The fight was not exciting, but the rest of the card was exactly that (especially the Aldo v. Hominick fight near the end). (I'd like to see Aldo v. Hominick 2, btw).

As far as GSP v. Silva, I'd love to see it, but GSP did himself no favors last night. It certainly wasn't the type of dominating performance that would make others scream that he should jump up in class to fight Silva. A non-title fight at a catch weight of say 177.5 would be interesting if they both agreed to it, but honestly, I don't see Silva wanting to drop down. Silva is so cut already that I just can't see him dropping more for it. That would really favor GSP if he does. Think about Silva for a minute, though. Where is there an ounce of fat on him? Now ask him to cut nearly 8 pounds off that? I can see the thing not happening due to Silva not wanting to cut. He could (and probably would) be like, "If he wants to fight me, come up to my class.. Otherwise, forget it." The fact that Silva has fought at 205# just supports that thought. I suppose it just comes down to how motivated Silva is by money. Dana could throw a ton of money at him for that fight. If GSP v. Silva happens, I see no way that GSP stands with him. Silva is certainly vulnerable on the ground. Sonnen showed us that.

Anybody else want to see Jon Bones Jones vs. Silva?

Anderson has already said that he'd be willing to drop down and meet GSP halfway so that's a non-issue. The only problem is GSP. He knows he can't win and has been avoiding the fight for a long time now.

As for Jones, let him try to defend the belt at least three or four times before we even consider him on Anderson's level of a top P4P fighter.

Layton
05-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Anderson has already said that he'd be willing to drop down and meet GSP halfway so that's a non-issue. The only problem is GSP. He knows he can't win and has been avoiding the fight for a long time now.

As for Jones, let him try to defend the belt at least three or four times before we even consider him on Anderson's level of a top P4P fighter.

fact is jon jones would at least give silva the very best fight of his life, in two or three fights he will demolish silva. mother time aint on silvas side but it is most definately on jones side, what would you prefer a match that is competative or silva getting getting smashed?

Kenny Powers
05-02-2011, 08:06 PM
fact is jon jones would at least give silva the very best fight of his life, in two or three fights he will demolish silva. mother time aint on silvas side but it is most definately on jones side, what would you prefer a match that is competative or silva getting getting smashed?

Not saying it wouldn't be a great fight. And I think Jones wins regardless of when the fight happens. However considering the LHW divisions recent history i'd be more impressed with Jones if he can defend the belt at least 3 times against legit Light Heavyweights

Layton
05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Not saying it wouldn't be a great fight. And I think Jones wins regardless of when the fight happens. However considering the LHW divisions recent history i'd be more impressed with Jones if he can defend the belt at least 3 times against legit Light Heavyweights

jones is the future of mma he's on his way to becoming an hofer no doubt along with silva, i'd just rather see it know as a competative match rather than a couple of years when silva is on his way out

Kenny Powers
05-02-2011, 08:16 PM
jones is the future of mma he's on his way to becoming an hofer no doubt along with silva, i'd just rather see it know as a competative match rather than a couple of years when silva is on his way out

I agree now is better than the future but tbh I don't see the UFC risking Jones losing when he has the potential to be an even bigger star than GSP or Silva. The ideal scenario for the UFC would be for Jones and Cain(although i'm sure they'd prefer Brock) to go on a tear and run through their divisions for a while and eventually have Jones move to HW like he wants to and have that superfight. And of course to have GSP-Silva some time soon.

I honestly don't think Jones-Silva is in the UFC's plans at all

Layton
05-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I agree now is better than the future but tbh I don't see the UFC risking Jones losing when he has the potential to be an even bigger star than GSP or Silva. The ideal scenario for the UFC would be for Jones and Cain(although i'm sure they'd prefer Brock) to go on a tear and run through their divisions for a while and eventually have Jones move to HW like he wants to and have that superfight. And of course to have GSP-Silva some time soon.

I honestly don't think Jones-Silva is in the UFC's plans at all

no i agree, its bad business sense, the point i was making for us, the mma fan silva vs jones would be great now. if it doesnt happen now then my guess is it will never happen, i highly doubt gsp silva will either. on to brock lesnar i highly doubt he could go on a run tbh, imo he is the most over rated fighter in any discipline ever, anyone with a decent skill set will whoop his ass

Kenny Powers
05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
no i agree, its bad business sense, the point i was making for us, the mma fan silva vs jones would be great now. if it doesnt happen now then my guess is it will never happen, i highly doubt gsp silva will either. on to brock lesnar i highly doubt he could go on a run tbh, imo he is the most over rated fighter in any discipline ever, anyone with a decent skill set will whoop his ass

I think the UFC will push hard for GSP-Silva but i really don't think Georges wants it. Then maybe when it becomes clear to everyone else then the UFC could go for Jones-Silva, that's the only way I see it happening.

And I don't think Lesnar goes on a run either, in fact i'll be surprised if he doesn't retire after JDS beats him

KING JB
05-03-2011, 01:58 AM
rescheduled for july 16th due to staph infection..its in the PEPSI COLLISEUM now though and for PREMIER CAGE FIGHTING which is Chris Lytle's organization.

snafu
05-04-2011, 04:50 PM
I agree with the statement about Lesnar being overrated. He's watchable, but sometimes it is painful due to the over-the-top accolates being piled on him. Jones may be the most exciting thing for MMA in a little while. He is just plain fun to watch. The sky is the limit with that guy. When I first brought up Silva v. Jones, it was as a wish list, not as something that I thought would happen anytime soon. Given GSP's answer after the Shields fight and Silva's willingness to drop to a catch weight (hadn't heard that last part previously), I think Silva v. GSP will happen. Given that the fans are really pulling for that fight corporately, I think Dana will do what it takes to make it happen. I do agree that from a business standpoint, Jones v. Silva doesn't make much sense currently.