PDA

View Full Version : Couture: There is going to be a battle over unionizing MMA

OKMike
04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
As Mixed Martial Arts rose to mainstream popularity over the past several years, the question of whether a union is possible has risen with it. When Zuffa, parent company to the UFC, bought its leading competitor, Strikeforce, thus controlling nearly every fighter in the top 10 of all weight divisisions, the question took on special urgency for some.

While the NFL, NBL, NBA, and NHL each have players unions, making it appear as if all professional sports in the USA are unionized, moving just a little further down the list reveals a more varied group, with field leading organizations like the PGA, NASCAR, and USTA all without a players union.

So where does iconic fighter Randy Couture, on the cusp of retirment, come down on the idea of a players union in MMA?

“There’s going to be a battle,” Couture told ESPN.com. “I’d rather sit down with the UFC, Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta and figure out a way to implement some things with their blessing.”

“Health insurance for fighters when they’re not competing is a huge issue. There are a few fighters who could call up the UFC and say, ‘Look, I need some help, I blew out my knee in practice,’ and the UFC is going to help them. They’ve been generous but they can’t do that with everyone. There are over 200 fighters.

“How about a retirement plan of some sort? Or at least educate these guys on how to take care of their money. How many MMA stars, five or six years from now, are going to be broke and destitute? We’ve seen that in boxing, and it’s a shame. An absolute shame.”

“There’s a whole bunch of issues when you start unionizing. Look at football. The players are looking at a lockout because they might have to play two more games in a season and not increase their pay. I mean, why are you in the sport? Because you love to play the game, right?

“There’s a give and take there. [Unions] can sometimes get carried away.”

“It would be great to sit down and figure out a way to take care of the guys in this company so that everybody feels good about it and no one is in a position to have too much power or for a fighter to take advantage of a union and hold out."

“There’s got to be a way to come together and meet on ground that everyone can live with.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/1342/couture-zuffa-fighters-can-have-meeting-of-minds

Kenny Powers
04-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Once Couture retires I think he's the perfect leader for this. He's got more and more movie roles coming in so he doesn't need a made up job from Zuffa like Liddell so he can argue on behalf of the other guys without worrying about getting on Zuffas bad list. I think him and Tito would be perfect for it.

OKMike
04-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Once Couture retires I think he's the perfect leader for this. He's got more and more movie roles coming in so he doesn't need a made up job from Zuffa like Liddell so he can argue on behalf of the other guys without worrying about getting on Zuffas bad list. I think him and Tito would be perfect for it.

Couture would be the logical choice. He has the universal respect of fellow mma fighters. Tito is too brash, self serving, and polarizing for such a role imo. Bas Rutten would also be a good choice to be involved.

Kenny Powers
04-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Couture would be the logical choice. He has the universal respect of fellow mma fighters. Tito is too brash, self serving, and polarizing for such a role imo. Bas Rutten would also be a good choice to be involved.

Well i'd definitly consider Randy the best choice for leader but Tito has fought for what he wants before and I think he'd be good at pushing for other guys

Elkisland
04-24-2011, 01:58 AM
I don't know what I think of it. I'm pissed about the NFL lockout. My Lions were finally showing some life :(

Kenny Powers
04-24-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't know what I think of it. I'm pissed about the NFL lockout. My Lions were finally showing some life :(

I'm fairly pissed too, the last two years i made the trip to london for the games and was looking forward to this years game. No wif it isn't sorted out by August 1st there won't be one :(

Elkisland
04-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah, that's a real bummer. I forgot to mention that I had enough money to buy season tickets for once. What was the London game this year?

Kenny Powers
04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah, that's a real bummer. I forgot to mention that I had enough money to buy season tickets for once. What was the London game this year?

It's gonna be Buccs-Bears if it goes ahead. Saw the Buccs get whooped by the Pats two years ago though