KING JB
03-23-2011, 08:19 PM
UFC - Fight Night 24

Ultimate Fighting Championship

March 26, 2011

Key Arena,

Seattle, Washington, United States

Main Card

Light Heavyweight bout: Antônio Rogério Nogueira (19-4) vs. Phil Davis (8-0)

Pre Fight Comments: With an undefeated record, there are alot of people jumping on the Phil Davis band wagon already. People are already naming Davis as the only man with a chance at even challenging Jon Jones. For some reason now when people talk about the Light Heavyweight division, people are talking about Jon Jones and Phil Davis. Granted, I think both men are great, but we may be getting a little bit ahead of ourselves here. Davis has exceptional wrestling, but is also very well rounded. He trains at ALLIANCE MMA, which means that he trains with the likes of Dominick Cruz and Joey Beltran. Brandon Vera also trains there with Phil Davis. Nogueira had a record identical to Shogun Rua before his recent loss. He actually goes to the judges alot as he has seen them 11 times in his 23 fights. That obviously is almost 50% of the time. He was won seven of his eight fights and trains with the legendary Team Nogueira. This means that he works daily with his legendary brother as well as Anderson Silva, Junior Dos Santos, and Raphael Cavalcante. Personally, in this fight, I believe that the Phil Davis hype will end. I think this fight will go to the judges and Nogueira will win with his striking as well as takedown defense. Could I be wrong? Of course, but I just am NOT as big on Phil Davis as everyone else seems to be. It is also possible that Noguiera gets the submission here. In fact, that is my prediction. I am going to change my thoughts on this fight and predict a submission.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Antonio Noguiera via submission of the night

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK: Phil Davis via decision

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Welterweight bout: Dan Hardy (23-8-0-1) vs. Anthony Johnson (8-3)

Pre Fight Comments: Wow, this fight is gonna be exciting as fuck, but I think Anthony Johnson's size is going to make a huge difference. I do think that this fight will steal the show and become the fight of the night. I think these two strikers will give us one hell of a show. There are a lot of people that follow both men, but it seems that Dan Hardy has the bigger following. As a regular contributer to the MMAbay's community website, I see a lot of Pro-Dan Hardy statements. So, here is mine...I think Dan Hardy is an excellent fighter, but I think he is subject to being knocked out. Carlos Condit made it official for me. I know Johnson lost to Koscheck and that was big, but I just think that Johnson is the better of the two fighters. With Dan Hardy losing two fights in a row, I believe that this fight could be the end for him if he loses. Dana White doesn't really give too many fourth chances in the UFC. Dan Hardy's camp however could help him a lot. Sparring with Paul Daley every day is sure to sharpen Hardy's striking skills. The rest of Team Roughouse is kind of weak to me, so I don't know what Hardy is doing doing training. Johnson has won three of four fights and is coming off a long layoff due to injury. Johnson rarely sees the judges, so I think this fight will be a finish. I think that Johnson will nail Hardy with a SOLID shot that leads to a TKO. With Anthony Johnson training with Cung Le, I am sure that his striking game is even more lethal for this fight. Most importantly, I think this will be Dan Hardy's last fight in the UFC. Hopefully they will send the loser of this fight to Strikeforce in order for him to keep his career alive.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Anthony Johnson via TKO (fight of the night)

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK: Anthony Johnson via KO

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Welterweight bout: Amir Sadollah (4-2) vs. DaMarques Johnson (12-8)

Pre Fight Comments: I used to REALLY like Amir Sadollah, but for some reason, he just hasn't lived up to the hype that I gave him in my mind. Amir has a serious problem when it comes to finishing fights. He needs to quit leaving it up to the judges and show some real talent by finishing his opposition. DaMarques Johnson always seems ready for war, but something tells me that Sadollah will try to keep him grounded. Johnson's record does not look very good, but the man can stand with you and knock your faceoff. In this one, I have to go with Sadollah on the ground.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Amir Sadollah via submission

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK: Amir Sadollah via KO

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Featherweight bout: Chan Sung Jung (10-3) vs. Leonard Garcia (15-6-1)

Pre Fight Comments:WOW, the rematch of one of the greatest fights that we have ever seen. In the WEC, these two gentlemen went to war in the fight of the year. I think they will put on ANOTHER great performance and I am geeked that it is on free television. The Korean Zombie has actually lost three of his last four and I am sure that a loss here will end his UFC career to be honest. Granted, its his first fight here, but everyone knows his recent loss history. Jung has excellent submissions as he has tapped out the opposition in six of his ten wins. Garcia just always is in fights of the year type of fights. He is so fuckin fun to watch, its crazy. He has been going to the judges alot recently. He fights over there for sorry ass Greg Jackson's camp, so there is no doubt that he will be ready for this one. I do not think that Garcia wants to see the judges because five of his losses have come from them. I think we will see another fight of the night and we will go BACK to the judges. I think Garcia will beat Jung again. For the record, I will be rooting for the Korean Zombie, because I would love them to have a trilogy fight at some point. If Garcia wins this, this wonderful competitive feud is over.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Leonard Garcia via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK: Leonard Garcia via decision

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Preliminary Card

Featherweight bout: Alex Caceres (4-2) vs. Mackens Semerzier (5-3)

Pre Fight Comments: Caceres acts like such an idiot sometimes, so it is hard for me to get behind him at anything he does. He was an idiot on the ultimate fighter and Bruce Leroy didn't even do much on the show. If you are gonna be the big talker type, you should be able to back it up in my opinion. Leroy has lost two of his last three fights. This will be his first official fight inside the Octagon I believe. Mackens isnt too impressive his damn self though. He has lost THREE fights in a row, so how the hell he got into the UFC is beyond me. This shit is crazy. The dudes submission game is off the charts though. I am going to pick Mackens Semerzier in this fight. I think he will prove that Alex can't beat anyone..Truth is that if Leroy cant beat Mackens, he cannot beat ANYONE in the UFC.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Mackens Semerzier via submission

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Heavyweight bout: Jon Madsen (7-0) vs. Mike Russow (13-1-0-1)

Pre Fight Comments: I really like this fight for some reason. I think it is because I am fat as fuck too and I root for the Roy Nelsons and Mike Russows of the world. I still LOVE Mike Russow's knockout of Todd Duffee. People don't realize that Russow has won NINE fights in a row and is 2-0 in the UFC. He isn't just some fat slob trying to fight. He is good at what he does. Hell, he has 8 submissions in his 13 wins. So, we see that he has GROUND GAME and knockout power. I like Russow in the Heavyweight division. I would love to see him fight someone like Chad Griggs or even Roy Nelson. However, Jon Madsen has NEVER lost and that is why this is going to be a GREAT fight. Madsen seems to go to the judges alot as he already has four times. He is 4-0 in the UFC and has even beaten Gilbert Yvel. He is super talented and has great ability in the cage. He trains with the Hit Squad which means he trains with Matt Hughes, Houston Alexander, Robbie Lawler, and Brian Foster. He should be ready for this fight and I think that he might just tire the big man out. Do I think this will reach a decision? No. I think we are going to see Madsen wear him down and beat him up with a TKO victory. I am ROOTING for Russow though, just so you know.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Jon Madsen via TKO

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Welterweight bout: John Hathaway (14-1) vs. Kris McCray (5-2)

Pre Fight Comments: Hathaway is going to destroy this kid, but this is going to be one hell of a fight. This entire card is just stacked for a free show. Hathaway has been great and all I keep thinking about is the way he DESTROYED Diego Sanchez. He recently lost to a pretty good Mike Pyle which was his only loss of his career. He is VERY well rounded, so I expect him to come into the fight extremely ready for war. McCray is definitely a savage out there and he seems unorthodox like Keith Jardine. He can tap John out if he gets the chance. Kris has lost two fights in a row and to be honest, if he loses here, I think he will be gone from the UFC already. He just cant seem to pick up a win and I do not think he will pick up one here. I think Hathaway will get the decision win.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: John Hathaway via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Bantamweight bout: Michael McDonald (11-1) vs. Edwin Figueroa (7-0)

Pre Fight Comments: McDonald has an excellent professional record going into this fight. Even better, he has finished each and EVERY fight he has won. This is his UFC debut which means that shit is about to get serious for the kid. He has no major wins and this fight isn't major really either. However, a win here should get him a BETTER fight in the division so he can move his way up to a title shot. I like what this kid has done in MMA so far. Figueroa is undefeated in his career and is making his debut in the UFC as well. He also has never seen the judges before. This is going to end up being a great fight here. I truly do NOT know who to pick here. I gotta have balls though and pick someone since I always do. I am going to go with..........McDonald...by...DECISION. I think both men will see the judges for the first time in their careers. I am probably wrong here...

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Michael McDonald via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Heavyweight bout: Sean McCorkle (10-1) vs. Christian Morecraft (6-1)

Pre Fight Comments: I love Sean McCorkle and it isnt just because he is from here in Indianapolis. He just is a hilarious dude. If you havent seen how hilarious he is, just google him and listen to some of the funny ass interviews and promos. He has legitimately pissed Morecraft off. I love this fight and think its going to be great. I think McCorkle has fucked up though. As a Heavyweight myself, I now want to fight McCorkle though just because I know that it would be FUNNY leading up to the fight. McCorkle trains with Matt Mitrione. Trust me, C4MMA is one of the best places in Indiana. Morecraft is legitimately pissed off about the McCorkle jokes and shit talk leading up to the fight. He has finished every fight he has ever won. Both of these men have lost to Stefan Struve. Look, my heart is with Sean here, but Christian is pretty big and pretty pissed. With that being said, I predict........ARM BAR from McCorkle to win the fight...Im probably wrong here too...lol

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Sean McCorkle via submission

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Middleweight bout: Mario Miranda (10-2) vs. Aaron Simpson (7-2)

Pre Fight Comments: This is going to be another great fight as well. Aaron Simpson has some of the best MMA talent in the world when it comes to wrestling. However, he is on a two fight losing streak, which means this could be the end for Mr. Simpson in the UFC. With this being a must win for him, I expect results to be honest. He has the power and ability to ground and pound his way to a TKO victory here. Despite losing two of his last three, Miranda is no joke either. He has a very solid MMA game and could be successful in the division for a long time coming. That division will have to be for another company, because he is probably gonna lose his job when Aaron takes him down and beats him for the TKO win.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Aaron Simpson via TKO

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Lightweight bout: Waylon Lowe (10-3) vs. Nik Lentz (20-3-2)

Pre Fight Comments: Lowe's training at American Top Team should be one of the differences in this fight. Lowe has won two in a row and eight of his last nine. He is very well rounded and has seen the judges in his last two wins. American Top Team is so huge, Lowe has plenty of talent around him to train with. Lentz has an extremely solid MMA record and also trains with a great team in Minnesota. Lentz is very well rounded and great inside this cage. He has won 11 of 13, with the other two non wins being draws. Personally, I think this one will see the judges and I am gonna go with Lentz in this sure to be GREAT FIGHT.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Nik Lentz via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks (9-1) vs. TJ Waldburger (13-5)

Pre Fight Comments: Johny Hendricks is very solid inside the cage and its hard to go against him. Alot of people were on the Hendricks ban wagon too before he lost to Rick Story. He is very explosive and I think he will go on to accomplish alot in MMA. Anthony Waldburger is another great upcoming talent. He has won four in a row. With that being said, I think Hendricks will pull this out via TKO.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Johny Hendricks via TKO

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

PRE-EVENT COMMENTS: This event has ALOT of great fights packed into this free show. I think that we are gonna see some careers ended and some new prospects come out of this show. I do however think that the myth that Phil Davis will be the next big thing will be killed here tonight along with Dan Hardy's UFC career. GREAT SHOW and I cannot wait.

http://insidethecagewkingjb.blogspot.com/2011/03/ufc-fight-night-24-32611.html

Kenny Powers
03-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Great report, off the top of my head I disagree with a few of your picks but i'll take a proper look at the card in the next couple days and try get my predictions in.

Btw, what's with the angry sig king??

Joabbuac.
03-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Davis UD > LittleNog

I think he can choose where the fight will take place, take him down when ever and stay standing if he is worried about a sub.

Anthony Johnson KO 1 > Dan Hardy

Harder striking, better wrestling - Only thing Hardy has is subs (he cant take Johnson down) and overall better standup, if he does not get caught i can see him winning on points

Amir Sadollah UD > Johnson

I think Sadollah has been thrown in with way to tough for such an inexperienced fighter but this is a fight he can get a win.

Chan Sung Jung UD

Warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Kenny Powers
03-24-2011, 03:57 AM
I hope Korean Zombie whoops Garcia, that was a horrible robbery last time. Nothing against Garcia, that decision was just awful

Joabbuac.
03-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Garcia keeps getting the gift wins, not his fault though - cant keep but think it hurts his reputation irregardless.