PDA

View Full Version : Ufc 128 report (3.19.11)

KING JB
03-12-2011, 01:31 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/UFC128ShogunvsJones.jpg

UFC 128 - Shogun vs. Jones

Ultimate Fighting Championship

March 19, 2011

Prudential Center,

Newark, New Jersey, United States

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meuBHOtTXsQ&feature=player_embedded

Main card

Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Maurício Rua (c) (19-4) vs. Jon Jones (11-1)

Pre Fight Comments: Ok, now I know everyone seems to be on Mr. Jones's nuts these days and they think he is just gonna destroy Shogun Rua, so the point in even having this fight or talking about it isn't neccessary. However, some of us are ACTUAL MMA followers as well as fans and realize that Mr. Jones has his hands full. Let me ask you a question...Do you remember how unbeatable everyone said Lyota Machida was? Who ended that myth? I believe it was Shogun Rua. Jon Jones is a great fighter and he someday could be a champion, but people need to remember that Shogun is not only a seasoned veteran, but he TRULY is the best light heavyweight in the world and he has proven that many times already. I am not the biggest Shogun fan, but people just treat him like his a bum and Jones is the next Anderson Silva. Jones has had a GREAT start to his career and granted, he looks unbeatable, but don't forget that so did Machida. I got Shogun in this fight all the way. I think he will get the submission win believe it or not. I think the aggressiveness of Jones will get him in trouble here and he will walk right into a submission. This will be Jones first REAL loss here in my opinion, but I think he will learn ALOT from it and it will help him SOMEDAY become the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. I know alot of people are gonna laugh at the submission prediction because Shogun has only tapped one person in his career. However, that person was a VERY SOLID Kevin Randleman, so it can definitely happen. If it is not a submission, obviously I think we will see a TKO. Hell, maybe it will even go to the judges. I think people forgot that just FIVE FIGHTS AGO, Shogun beat one of the greatest HEAVYWEIGHTS in the world in Alistair Overeem. Regardless, I think this WILL be the fight of the night in the end.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Shogun Rua via submission (fight of the night)

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Bantamweight bout: Urijah Faber (24-4) vs. Eddie Wineland (18-6-1)

Pre Fight Comments: Urijah Faber is one of my favorite fighters in the world, so I am gonna try to be as least biased as possible here. Faber is another man that it seems like the MMA world is overlooking because of a few mishaps in the cage. Do people not realize that Faber is a legend in this business and is still young enough to make a SERIOUS run once again? He is one of the best all around pound for pound fighters on the planet and that hasn't changed just because he had a few losses and changed weight classes. With this being his debut inside the UFC, I think he is gonna come full throttle in this one. I know that he has split his last six fights, but lets not forget about the 13 wins in a row he had before this little slide towards the end of the WEC. Another thing is that Faber FINISHES fights one way or another and is exciting as it gets. Wineland is vulnerable to the submission game and has been submitted in four of his six losses. He HAS won four fights in a row, which is good for him because he obviously is fighting real well right now. However, the biggest win this guy has ever had in his life was against George Roop of all people. Do you see what I am getting at here? We are talking about a LEGEND up against someone that at best is mediocre. Faber will win this by submission and take home the submission of the night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU1SXo2Hc2k&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPjl8n8eHDg&feature=relmfu

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Urijah Faber via submission of the night

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt (30-10-2) vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-3-0-1)

Pre Fight Comments: If I am wrong about the fight of the night pick being Shogun and Jones, this fight right here will be the reason why. This is a very good contender for fight of the night due to the styles that both men possess. This should be a standup war for most of the fight in my opinion. I am super geeked for this battle to be honest. Marquardt has an outstanding all around game but somehow has dropped two of three fights including his last fight to Yushin Okami. Part of me wonders if he will be cut if he loses this fight to Akiyama. Akiyama is in even more trouble as he has lost two in a row and a third loss probably will lead to his dismissal. Since beating Alan Belcher at UFC 100, Akiyama has shown NOTHING in the UFC with the exception of horrible cardio. He gassed against Leben and thats why he got caught. Bisping just took him apart. Honestly, I think this one is going to the judges and Marquardt will out point him to end his UFC career. Pink slip coming for Akiyama. Should be a GREAT STAND UP WAR thoughout the three rounds however.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Nate Marquardt via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Lightweight bout: Jim Miller (19-2) vs. Kamal Shalorus (7-0-2)

Pre Fight Comments: Jim Miller is the most underrated lightweight in MMA today and it makes me sick to my stomach that he is overlooked so much while some of these WEC guys are coming right in and getting talked about. Anthony Pettis is solid, but why the hell are guys talking about him instead of Jim Miller? Jim Miller would CRUSH "Showtime" in a heartbeat. Miller has won six fights in a row and obviously 19 out of 21 career fights. He is 8-1 in the UFC and seemingly no where near a title shot which should be a CRIME. Granted, he has been to alot of decisions recently, but he knows how to finish fights too. I think it hurts him that five of his nine UFC fights have went to the judges. Dana White does NOT like that shit at all. Shalorus is another WEC'er making his debut in the UFC and this will be Miller's chance to shut this WEC talk up. Shalorus is a very solid stand up striker and I look for this fight to be VERY entertaining. Shalorus has never lost in the cage, but I do think this will be his time right now. I gotta say that I think this fight will see the judges again, but Miller will pick up career win #20.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Jim Miller via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Heavyweight bout: Mirko Filipović (27-8-2-1) vs. Brendan Schaub (7-1)

Pre Fight Comments: God, there are so many Cro Cop haters out there, it is crazy. All these people are the same people that said that Pat Berry was gonna end his career. The truth is that I think Pat Berry is better than Schaub and if he couldn't do it, I dont see the former Ultimate Fighter alum and NFL player being able to do it either. NEWSFLASH PEOPLE: Cro Cop is a LEGEND in this business and he is NOT done just yet. Granted, Cro Cop is on the downside of his career and probably doesn't have too much left. Granted, after losing to Mir in his last fight, which was a boring one, a loss her could be the end of Cro Cop's stand in the UFC. Ill give you all of that. However, Schaub has ALWAYS been extremely overrated in my book. OK, he has GREAT punching power, but that is about it. I will give him credit for his win over Gonzaga. That was impressive as hell. However, I do NOT think he is ready for Cro Cop right now. I do think that a loss here for Cro Cop will be the end of him. However, I think that we are going to see ONE MORE Head Kick KO from him and that night will be @ UFC 128! I believe he will also take home the KO of the night award for doing so.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Mirko Filipovic via KO of the night.

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Preliminary card (Spike TV)

Lightweight bout: Edson Barboza (7-0) vs. Anthony Njokuani (13-4-0-1)

Pre Fight Comments: I am not gonna sit here and lie and act like I am jumping for joy looking forward to this fight what-so-ever. I will give Barboza some credit for being undefeated and knocking out six of his seven wins. I see why the UFC is picking this fight to be on Spike TV for free and its because of the striking nature of this fight. Truth of it is, Barboza has never beaten anyone that matters to this point and even this win wouldn't be too much either. BOTH MEN have exceptional muay-thai talent though, so I see why its gonna be on free. Dana wants people to see this striking battle and get excited, I get that. Njokuani is coming off a win in the WEC, but has lost two of his last three fights. I gotta go with Barboza here and I think it will be a TKO victory. This could be an exciting fight and prove ME wrong for not being excited about it my damn self.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Edson Barboza via TKO

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Preliminary card

Welterweight bout: Ricardo Almeida (13-4) vs. Mike Pyle (20-7-1)

Pre Fight Comments: I think this is gonna be an excellent fight for the prelims. Almeida has won four of his last fights, with that one loss coming to the great Matt Hughes. Almeida's jiu-jitsu is amazing, but he sees the judges more than alot of people in the UFC. This could be bad for him in this particular fight. Pyle on the other hand has 16 submissions of his own and is great on the ground as well. Pyle has won three of his last four fights. He does not go to the judges very often at all, which makes me think that this one will more than likely end in a finish. Im sorry, but if you are out jiu-jitsu'd by Matt Hughes, something tells me that you are not paying enough attention to what the Gracies are teaching you. I think Mike Pyle will add another win to his belt. I do not think he is gonna get a submission here however. I think it will be a decision despite the fact that Pyle does not see many judges. I think they will roll around on the ground exchanging holds in a solid jiu-jitsu affair for three rounds. I think Pyle will get the nod based on striking.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Mike Pyle via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Lightweight bout: Kurt Pellegrino (16-5) vs. Gleison Tibau (21-7)

Pre Fight Comments: Its always fun to see Pellegrino fight and Tibau is pretty good his damn self. This is a wonderful undercard matchup as well and I do love the technique that we will see in this fight. Pellegrino knows how to finish fights and he does it many times by making you tap out. He has won four of his last five fights but his last fight was a loss. In the stacked lightweight division, I think a loss here will be the end for Pellegrino's run in the UFC. The same thing goes for Tibau as he is coming off a loss to Jim Miller in his last fight. He has actually split his last four fights. Four of them last five fights have went to the judges. I think Pellegrino will try hard to finish this fight, but I see it going to the judges and Pellegrino being rewarded for his effort.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Kurt Pellegrino via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Bantamweight bout: Joseph Benavidez (13-2) vs. Ian Loveland (14-7)

Pre Fight Comments: This should be GREAT as Joseph Benavidez will be making his UFC debut here. At 13-2, alot of people are screaming loudly that Joey B is underrated as a fighter in the division. Benevidez has alot of talent and has won three of his last four fights. Do I think he will ever be a champion in the division? Absolutely NOT! However, he is good enough to be a SOLID gatekeeper and keep out some of the lower class of the division. He is also exciting and has finished 11 of his 13 wins in his career. Loveland is well rounded and has won seven fights in a row. Could he pull off this upset? Sure he can, but will he? YES! He has been on fire as of late and has been knocking out everyone in his way. I think he will pull the upset here and get the TKO victory over a very game Benavidez.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Ian Loveland via TKO

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Middleweight bout: Dan Miller (13-4-0-1) vs. Nick Catone (8-2)

Pre Fight Comments: Gotta love it when the Miller's are on the card. Dan Miller is another underrated fighter and I truly think it is because he ALSO sees the judges alot. He has went to the judges in five of his last seven fights. Truthfully, I am shocked that he never got cut after losing three in a row, but following that, he has now won two in a row. Dan Miller has proven that he cannot beat any of the top middleweights, but up against someone like Catone, he should be victorious. Catone can make me eat my words however, because truly, he is no slouch despite losing two of his last three. He has went the the judges in his last two fights and I think this one is headed there too. I got Miller taking the decision in the end.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Dan Miller via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Light Heavyweight bout: Luiz Cane (10-3-0-1) vs. Eliot Marshall (10-2)

Pre Fight Comments: Do you remember when Cane was talked about as if he was the next big thing in the 205 lb division? Now, he is on his way out the door if he loses here and that is basically a guarantee. He has lost two fights in a row after going on his three fight win streak. Even worse, he has been finished in both of them fights. He is a hell of striker, so in order for him to win, he is gonna have to get back to what he does...knocking people out. Marshall is no slouch here in the division as he also has an impressive record. He has tapped quite a few people out in his day as well and holds a victory over Jason Brilz. He has won three fights in a row and seems to be on fire. If it goes to the ground, Marshall should win this fight. However, I think Cane is going to save his UFC career by knocking him clean out. SERIOUSLY.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Luiz Cane via KO

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Featherweight bout: Raphael Assunção (16-3) vs. Erik Koch (11-1)

Pre Fight Comments: Very interesting fight here to start off the evening. Assuncao possesses alot of talent and an excellent record despite losing two of his last three fights. His problem is that he has already proven to be UNABLE to beat any of the top contenders in his division. Im gonna be honest here and say that I think a loss here despite it being his UFC debut could lead to him being out of the UFC already. Depends on how deep Dana considers his featherweight division. Koch's record ALSO is very impressive and much like Assuncao, his ground game is excellent. I think this fight is headed for the decision and Koch should get the win. Koch has the ability to do some damage here in his UFC debut as well.

Post Fight Comments:

MY PICK: Erik Koch via decision

Vegas's PICK:

Sherdog's PICK:

Shawn's PICK:

Winner:

Pre EVENT Comments: I think that this card is going to be one of the best in quite a while. Will it beat out 126? No, I don't think so, but it will be a refreshing card after the UFC 127 debacle. Granted, I wasn't as upset with 127 as the rest of the world, but still, this card should be much better. The only real fight that I think will be of REAL significance however will be the Jones and Rua fight. The rest of the event looks like a WEC card basically...

KING JB
03-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Dont forget my blogsite.....Yea, we do things here, but I would love as many subscribers to my blog as possible....

http://insidethecagewkingjb.blogspot.com/