imported_BDUB
01-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Prelims starting now.

imported_BDUB
01-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Nice right hand. :hail:

Soulassassin
01-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Gray punched himself out and then let Edgar get into that crazy rhythm of his. Edgar landed a pretty hard right hand in that 2nd round that swelled Maynard's eye right away and that seemed to keep Maynard from just rushing in the way he did in the 1st round. Edgar's footwork, feints, speed, and takedowns are great again. Good scrambling and recovery to survive that 1st round too. Just seems that Edgar is a bit vulnerable to that left hook with the way he keeps his hands. I thought Maynard's wrestling was going to be dangerous for Edgar. Many talked like once he got Edgar down it was over. Edgar scrambled to his feet just as well as he did in the Penn fights and he scored the big takedowns on Maynard not the other way around. Maynard is dangerous with his hands but that is about all he has over Edgar. Now if Edgar can only learn to avoid the left hook.

imported_BDUB
01-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Gray punched himself out and then let Edgar get into that crazy rhythm of his. Edgar landed a pretty hard right hand in that 2nd round that swelled Maynard's eye right away and that seemed to keep Maynard from just rushing in the way he did in the 1st round. Edgar's footwork, feints, speed, and takedowns are great again. Good scrambling and recovery to survive that 1st round too. Just seems that Edgar is a bit vulnerable to that left hook with the way he keeps his hands. I thought Maynard's wrestling was going to be dangerous for Edgar. Many talked like once he got Edgar down it was over. Edgar scrambled to his feet just as well as he did in the Penn fights and he scored the big takedowns on Maynard not the other way around. Maynard is dangerous with his hands but that is about all he has over Edgar. Now if Edgar can only learn to avoid the left hook.

Yep, gray never recovered from all the punches he threw in the first round. Gutsy effort from Edgar.

Joabbuac.
01-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Edgar is basically a 145lber fighting at lightweight, i fully expect him to drop down when he loses the title. Makes it even more impressive that he one the wrestling battle here. He is very underrated. Maynard would never be accused of being a smart fighter though, he really needed to pick him shots better.

This fight reminded my of Lesner-Carwin somewhat haha.

Soulassassin
01-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Well when you have a guy hurt and almost out you have to go for it. The fight could be over if you follow up so you go for it. However just like in boxing, a guy can recover and fight back hard after being rocked to the head. You have to go to the body and wear a guy down when he is hurt. In MMA you can even attack the legs along with the body. These MMA guys underestimate the body attack. They are all headhunters.

Joabbuac.
01-02-2011, 04:48 PM
You can go for it while being smart, its the difference between a good finisher and a bad one. Some guys never let a hurt fighter recover.

Substance Abuse
01-02-2011, 05:53 PM
I had the fight a draw. I called it that as soon as the fight ended.

Round 1: Maynard 10-8

Round 2: Edgar 10-9

Round 3: Maynard 10-9

Round 4: Edgar 10-9

Round 5: Edgar 10-9

Total: 47-47, Draw.

After the first round, as usual, Edgar's cardio and footwork kept Maynard at bay and his use of masterful wrestling and TDD kept him his title. It was a great match-up. Edgar forced Gray to fight his fight and if the first round wasn't a blow out, he would have won decisively.

Joabbuac.
01-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I honestly never saw Edgar slamming Grey like that :laugh:

Substance Abuse
01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I honestly never saw Edgar slamming Grey like that :laugh:

Maynard is typically more aggressive and effective, but Edgar's TDD has improved exponentially. As usual, Edgar's movement didn't allow Maynard to use a positional advantage and get him down. Then again to address your point, after I saw Frankie do that to BJ Penn, it really didn't shock me. Edgar's timing with certain levels of attack is nearly perfect.

Kenny Powers
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I was expecting a snoozefest but this was a great fight. When we talk about FOTY candidates at the end of the year this will definitly be in the discussion. Helped me get over the nightmare that was Gomi-Guida.

I had it a draw too but I'd prefer a Pettis fight for Edgar before the inevitable reamtch anyway

Joabbuac.
01-03-2011, 06:25 PM
They should throw someone in with Pettis for the WEC title why he waits...Soti or Kim.

Kenny Powers
01-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Sotiropolous would be good

Substance Abuse
01-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Pettis should fight Guida, G-Sot or Sherk, though I prefer Jim Miller fight 'the Muscle Shark'.