PDA

View Full Version : Gray "the Blanket" Maynard

King Fantom
12-29-2010, 06:38 PM
I hate this guy.

The McRib
12-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Edgar is gonna decision the fuck out of this guy!

OKMike
12-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Gray is going to beat Edgar down again. The reign of the UFC's most boring champion ever is short at hand.

OKMike
12-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I hate this guy.

I prefer the nickname "the snuggie".

Substance Abuse
12-31-2010, 01:53 AM
This is actually quite the compelling match-up. First off, it's one of the true No. 1 contender against Champion fights the UFC has made at 155 in quite some time. Secondly, Maynard's ability to lay-and-pray is through the rough and his top control is nearly clinical. I don't expect Edgar to move in and out, as Maynard doesn't fight flat-footed like BJ did and him to pressure Edgar. In all reality, though neither one of these guys are great finishers, they do pose great stylistic match-ups between the two and I believe it will be a close, split decision outcome. I am curious to find out whether or not Edgar has improved enough and devised a plan to get 'the Bully' out of his gameplan and beat him on points. Personally, I have no issues with top controlling wrestlers or grinders - ie. Jon Fitch - who impose their will so decisively on their opponents that they're usually on the defensive. You should watch Maia's last fight with Grove as a great example. Never-the-less, great match-up.

The McRib
12-31-2010, 02:09 AM
This is actually quite the compelling match-up. First off, it's one of the true No. 1 contender against Champion fights the UFC has made at 155 in quite some time. Secondly, Maynard's ability to lay-and-pray is through the rough and his top control is nearly clinical. I don't expect Edgar to move in and out, as Maynard doesn't fight flat-footed like BJ did and him to pressure Edgar. In all reality, though neither one of these guys are great finishers, they do pose great stylistic match-ups between the two and I believe it will be a close, split decision outcome. I am curious to find out whether or not Edgar has improved enough and devised a plan to get 'the Bully' out of his gameplan and beat him on points. Personally, I have no issues with top controlling wrestlers or grinders - ie. Jon Fitch - who impose their will so decisively on their opponents that they're usually on the defensive. You should watch Maia's last fight with Grove as a great example. Never-the-less, great match-up.

Sounds like somebody actually knows what the fuck they are talking about on here. This is a good sign.

Substance Abuse
12-31-2010, 02:24 AM
I try. I am stoked for UFC 125. It may not feature the best Main Event or Co-Main Event, but the card is stacked. There are some intriguing match-ups and I'm sure the entertainment quotient should go through the roof. I do know that Edgar/Maynard has the ability to quite boring, but I look at it more like a chess match. This fight could potentially dictate the outcome of the UFC's Lightweight division for years. If Maynard wins, I fully expect Penn to get another shot at the title after he is grapple-fuck/grinded on by Fitch in February. If Edgar wins, there are a litany of match-ups to make sans Penn's inclusion. If Edgar wins, Pettis and he could put on an incredibly exciting fight. If Maynard wins, I expect him to have slight issues with Pettis' ground game and scrambling ability, but inevitably stifling his offensive potential and beating him like he did Florian.

Kenny Powers
12-31-2010, 05:59 PM
I think it's a great match up. Won't be a great fight but i'm still very interested to see if Edgar can shock me again because I fully expect Maynard to gring out a decision win. Don't care who wins but still looking forward to it.

The rest of the card will be even better. Always enjoy seeing Gomi fight since the Bushido days and i'm hoping to see him put together a streak in the UFC and I think he has one more good run left in him if he's motivated. DHK vs Diaz will be good too, the UFC is bringing DHK along slow and finishing win over Diaz would be huge for their push into the Korean market and for himself. If he doesn't start finishing fights he's gonna be treated like Fitch

Substance Abuse
12-31-2010, 11:06 PM
I fully expect DHK to win a close decision over Diaz. I think his grappling prowess and clinch work is underrated. I hope he doesn't foolishly get caught up in a pure striking battle or goaded into one. Diaz is a deceptively good striker. I expect the card to be very entertaining. Still, since these are close match-ups, I believe they'll end up in decisions.

OKMike
01-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Diaz has deceptively good boxing and strong submissions. Like his brother his weakness is a strong wrestler with sub defense. Expect to see some higher level grappling.

Joabbuac.
01-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Maynard is hardly a blanket...that gets thrown around way to often these days. Plus look at who he has fought, who else has been finishing them guys?

Kenny Powers
01-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I fully expect DHK to win a close decision over Diaz. I think his grappling prowess and clinch work is underrated. I hope he doesn't foolishly get caught up in a pure striking battle or goaded into one. Diaz is a deceptively good striker. I expect the card to be very entertaining. Still, since these are close match-ups, I believe they'll end up in decisions.

That's my guess as wll but I wouldn't be surprised to see Diaz win it. Hoping for a DHK win though

Joabbuac.
01-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Man..this has to be one of the best prelims ever haha. Grispi, Brown and Baroni vs Brad Tavares are good....but Marcus Davis-Jeremy Stephens? Sounds like we got an early foty candidate in the prelims :laugh:

Substance Abuse
01-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Man..this has to be one of the best prelims ever haha. Grispi, Brown and Baroni vs Brad Tavares are good....but Marcus Davis-Jeremy Stephens? Sounds like we got an early foty candidate in the prelims :laugh:

I fully expect Stephens to demolish Davis. Davis' issues have been faster fighters who are good strikers. Stephens is just that. I doubt the weight cut will treat him well either. i expect 'Lil' Heathen' to win this handily. I still can't believe they're not showing Brown/Nunes on ION TV for the undercard. It makes no sense. He's a former WEC champ. He should be on the televised portion.

OKMike
01-02-2011, 12:21 AM
I fully expect Stephens to demolish Davis. Davis' issues have been faster fighters who are good strikers. Stephens is just that. I doubt the weight cut will treat him well either. i expect 'Lil' Heathen' to win this handily. I still can't believe they're not showing Brown/Nunes on ION TV for the undercard. It makes no sense. He's a former WEC champ. He should be on the televised portion.

I expect Davis to outstrike Stephens. Davis has pro boxing experience. Stephens has power, but his shots tend to be wide and he is open to counter shots. Davis has had problems with taller strikers like Dan Hardy and Ben Saunders. The wild card will be how Davis moves at the lower weight.

Joabbuac.
01-02-2011, 08:41 AM
You were kinda both right :laugh:

Substance Abuse
01-02-2011, 09:59 AM
I suppose I was more correct in that I called the winner?

Joabbuac.
01-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Yea but it was no way one sided, Davis outboxed him pretty well for most of the fight.

Substance Abuse
01-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Yea but it was no way one sided, Davis outboxed him pretty well for most of the fight.

Well, if you look in the prediction thread, I called for a third round KO. So, I think I was pretty spot on despite Davis' success before the finish.

Joabbuac.
01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
haha if you say so....i say you got lucky.

Substance Abuse
01-02-2011, 07:09 PM
haha if you say so....i say you got lucky.

Yeah, me too. I'm thoroughly of the train of thought that choosing the right fighter, picking the method of victory and the round it occurred in was nothing but luck. :laugh:

OKMike
01-03-2011, 01:10 AM

I don't know why Marcus clinched up with Stephens after he rocked him in the first round. :mad: