PDA

View Full Version : NFL and NBA don't stop for Xmas

MoneyMcCarthy
12-24-2010, 03:07 PM
What do people think of the NFL and NBA playing matches on Xmas Day, it is a controversial thing in the States but TV ratings are really high and they try to schedule games with a nationwide appeal.

Saul
12-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Seen one of the Christmas Day NFL games being advertised on Sky TV over here in the UK today. IMO it would seem a bit weird to have games on Christmas Day, surely Boxing Day would be better and still get great ratings?

BDUB
12-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I love it because it gets me through an all day event with my family. :laugh:

ulster86
12-24-2010, 03:49 PM
I'd watch games on xmas day but it's not really convenient for the players and their families

MoneyMcCarthy
12-24-2010, 04:23 PM
There are 5 NBA games tomorrow, and 1 NFL.... 2 live NBA games on ESPN and the NFL game on Sky Sports. I suppose in the NFL it isnt too bad as the season is relatively short but the NBA is a long regular season of 82 games. I am sure the players have little grumbles about it but I am sure once they get out on the field or court they forget about it.

E-DUBB
12-24-2010, 07:35 PM
yeah...the NBA on christmas is basically a tradition here in the states much like thanksgiving and football...

the NFL game is a fluke actually...the last couple of weeks of the season they usually schedule a saturday game and it just so happens that christmas falls on a saturday this year...

yeah...some of the players and coaches have grumbled about it but because of the high ratings it brings alot of money and attention to the league so i doubt it will ever change...besides the fact that these guys make so much money playing a game,imo they really have no room to complain about having to play on a holiday...alot of regular people have to work on the holidays so i dont see why multi millionares should complain about pleasing the fans that make them rich...

its a small sacrafice for only working 6-8 months out of the year and collecting millions of dollars...

MoneyMcCarthy
12-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Phil Jackson and LeBron James have been the most vocal about the NBA playing on Xmas Day this year, pretty rich considering the Zen Master and King James are two of the highest earners of the coaches and players.

Steam
12-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Seen one of the Christmas Day NFL games being advertised on Sky TV over here in the UK today. IMO it would seem a bit weird to have games on Christmas Day, surely Boxing Day would be better and still get great ratings?

Yes please. :dance1: