PDA

View Full Version : Giving Qatar the 2022 World Cup is a disgrace

Elephant Man
12-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Climate

Qatar plans to tackle the stifling heat with special cooling systems inside every stadium, but they are currently completed untested on the scale required for a World Cup. Extreme temperatures which can rise to 50°C will be a factor for fans as well as players. The thought of spending a month inside air-conditioned hotels, shopping malls and stadiums is unlikely to have universal appeal.

Construction

Qatar have 12 years to prepare but Fifa are still taking a huge risk in terms of the scale of the new construction that is necessary. Of the 12 stadiums, nine do not exist and three need major renovation. Lusail, the city where the World Cup final will be staged, is still being built. Billions must also be spent on the road, train and metro infrastructure.

Hotels and size

Qatar currently lacks the required number of hotels rooms and there is also concern at how such a relatively small country will absorb around 400,000 World Cup fans. Amazingly, 10 of the 12 stadiums will be located within a radius of just 30 kilometres in and around the capital city of Doha.

Fan experience

Qatar has comparatively liberal laws compared to some of its neighbouring states, but a first World Cup in an Arab country will still be a very new experience for fans. The few bars and nightclubs in Qatar operate only in expensive hotels and clubs. Alcohol will be restricted to designated areas, with Qatar's Sharia making it illegal to show alcohol or be drunk in public.

Legacy

There is significant doubt over whether a country with a population of 1.6 million will have any future use for a World Cup infrastructure that will cost an estimated $4 billion to put in place. Qatar plan to erect some modular stadiums that can be transported after the World Cup to poorer countries, but would it not be better to build those facilities in countries that most need them in the first place?

:facepalm:I just saw on Sky Sports news that there are rumours Qatar will ask FIFA if they can stage the 2022 World Cup during the Spring or Autumn(During the regular European league seasons)because of the incredible 50 Degree heat.
:facepalm:A World Cup during March/April or September/October

TommyGunn
12-02-2010, 06:53 PM
England :point:

Elephant Man
12-02-2010, 06:58 PM

:hand:Get on topic

Saul
12-02-2010, 07:44 PM

The Brum scum finished us off last night :sad:.

Lenny
12-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Blatter is a massive believer in spreading football round the world for SOuth africa, Korea/Japan, Brazil, etc., neither is a suprise although personally i would love it to of been in england for closeness (if we qualified) and obviously id of loved the 2022 in America so i can go over there with all the rest of the irish.

qatar will have no problem of money in building the stadiums etc..

English media only have themselves to blame also. anyone who denies it had no bearing on the vote is a fool. Typical English media always out to sabotage themselves.

Galway
12-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I thought they learned from America 94 that World Cup's and dead heat do not go well together :sad:

glasgow
12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
im raging, would have loved to go to england for the world cup :sad:
picking quatar just an embarassment but im not surprised 1 bit. thought the aussies should have got it
looking forward to australia owning england in the ashes later to put me back in a good mood :cop:

Saul
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
im raging, would have loved to go to england for the world cup :sad:
picking quatar just an embarassment but im not surprised 1 bit. thought the aussies should have got it

The Aussies got even less votes than us :sad:.

looking forward to australia owning england in the ashes later to put me back in a good mood :cop:

:rofl: England 517/1 dec. :laugh2: Australia's best bowler dropped.

glasgow
12-02-2010, 08:56 PM
The Aussies got even less votes than us :sad:.

:rofl: England 517/1 dec. :laugh2: Australia's best bowler dropped.

elle mcpherson would have swayed it for me :cop:

ponting gonna come out like a man posessed and destroy the england attack before it starts :hail:

Saul
12-02-2010, 09:00 PM
elle mcpherson would have swayed it for me :cop:

ponting gonna come out like a man posessed and destroy the england attack before it starts :hail:

You need to take 20 wickets to win a test. England have the better bowling attack :wave:.

Lenny
12-02-2010, 09:04 PM
will you two keep cricket talk out of real sport threads :sad:

:laugh: :thumb:

Saul
12-02-2010, 09:13 PM

The Ashes thread will be the finest thread in BA's sports section :hand:.

glasgow
12-02-2010, 09:20 PM

fair enough, dont like cricket, just like watching england get :owned:

Saul
12-02-2010, 09:22 PM
just like watching england get :owned:

Why bring English cricket into the discussion then? :sad:

glasgow
12-02-2010, 09:26 PM
just saying mate that watching england get owned later is gonna cheer me up after being devestated at the stupid decisions to give the world cup to the corrupt russkies and the country that doesnt let u drink in public :wave:

glasgow
12-02-2010, 09:29 PM
just seen clip of quatar footy team on news at 10 on ITV. worse miss ive ever seen, pure comedy :rofl:

Saul
12-02-2010, 09:29 PM
just saying mate that watching england get owned later is gonna cheer me up after being devestated at the stupid decisions to give the world cup to the corrupt russkies and the country that doesnt let u drink in public :wave:

When England smash the Aussies all around the park make sure you log on to let us you're ok and haven't done a Gatti :sad::rip:.

Saul
12-02-2010, 11:17 PM

:wave::wave::wave: Australia 2-3 :owned::rofl:.