PDA

View Full Version : Layton's top 5 p4p?

jmc617
11-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Who's your top 5 p4p from 1990-present?

Obama
11-24-2010, 12:34 AM
This thread doesn't belong here. It goes in general sport (for now).

getkingSG
11-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Here's my:

1. Fedor
2. Fedor
3. Fedor
4. Fedor
5. GSP

ovylord
11-24-2010, 09:12 AM
1. Anderson Silva
2. Wanderlei Silva
3. Fedor
4. GSP
5. Overeem

Obama
11-24-2010, 09:13 AM
No Royce Gracie. Wow. You guys suck.

diegoyeye
11-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Fedor
GSP
Anderson Silva
Frank Shamrock
Royce Gracie

Layton
11-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Royce Gracie has to take top spot and wtf has alistair overeem done to even be considered for top 5

Layton
11-24-2010, 03:41 PM
another disgrace is noone has bj penn in there

ovylord
11-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Royce Gracie has to take top spot and wtf has alistair overeem done to even be considered for top 5

Why would Royce Gracie be on the top 5. Just because he's a pioneer of the sport? Today's top guys are way better then Gracies and the one to come will be even better. This sport is still developing and i find nothing wrong in having best active fighters in all time P4P top 5. Overeem is a top notch fighter and his record and achivements in MMA are not better or worse the BJ Penn's.

Layton
11-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Why would Royce Gracie be on the top 5. Just because he's a pioneer of the sport? Today's top guys are way better then Gracies and the one to come will be even better. This sport is still developing and i find nothing wrong in having best active fighters in all time P4P top 5. Overeem is a top notch fighter and his record and achivements in MMA are not better or worse the BJ Penn's.

Royce Gracie p4p is the best fighter of the the last two decades, he fought and won when there wasn any weight limits, being a pioneer has no bearing his achievements speak volumes, as for what overeem has achieved to what penn has achiaved isnt even contestable yes overeem is a top fighter but theres no way he,s top 5 p4p, you people have totaly overlooked a few mma greats, Mark kerr, oleg taktarov, sakuraba, sudo and others all deserve a mention in this thread

ovylord
11-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Royce Gracie p4p is the best fighter of the the last two decades, he fought and won when there wasn any weight limits, being a pioneer has no bearing his achievements speak volumes, as for what overeem has achieved to what penn has achiaved isnt even contestable yes overeem is a top fighter but theres no way he,s top 5 p4p, you people have totaly overlooked a few mma greats, Mark kerr, oleg taktarov, sakuraba, sudo and others all deserve a mention in this thread

There are many that can be mentioned but these guys were good back when MMA was just an local sport. I think that guys like sakuraba, taktarov, kerr, kharitonov, Vovchanchy and so on are not in the same league with today's top MMA fighters.

Layton
11-24-2010, 04:40 PM
There are many that can be mentioned but these guys were good back when MMA was just an local sport. I think that guys like sakuraba, taktarov, kerr, kharitonov, Vovchanchy and so on are in the same league with today's top MMA fighters.

atleast you thought about it, i do agree with some new fighters being there or there abouts, maybe this thread should be a top ten not a top 5

jmc617
11-24-2010, 04:46 PM
atleast you thought about it, i do agree with some new fighters being there or there abouts, maybe this thread should be a top ten not a top 5

What's your top 5, layton?

Layton
11-24-2010, 04:52 PM
What's your top 5, layton?

1 - Royce Gracie
2 - Mark Kerr
3 - Bas Rutten
4 - Fedor Emelianenko
5 - Oleg taktarov

Other names i have in or around this are Ken Shamrock, Genki Sudo, BJ Penn, Dan Severn, Randy Couture, Sakuraba, Anderson Silva, GSP. All would be worthy top ten contenders

Joa
11-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Royce Gracie aint all that. Give him credit for showing everyone what BJJ is....nothing more. He wouldnt survive in todays 170 division.

Obama
11-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Royce Gracie aint all that. Give him credit for showing everyone what BJJ is....nothing more. He wouldnt survive in todays 170 division.

Same bullshit Matt Hughes said when he fought a shot Gracie. Fight didn't mean shit. Look how easily Matt gets beat now (against far weaker opposition) and he's not even as past it as Royce was when they fought.

Fact is prime Gracie was mostly untouchable. Size didn't even matter. He'd take on Brock Lesnar and win.

Joa
11-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Same bullshit Matt Hughes said when he fought a shot Gracie. Fight didn't mean shit. Look how easily Matt gets beat now (against far weaker opposition) and he's not even as past it as Royce was when they fought.

Fact is prime Gracie was mostly untouchable. Size didn't even matter. He'd take on Brock Lesnar and win.

Gracie struggled horribly with anyone with an ounce of sub defense. Kimo showed that when he was sweeping him and generally going 50-50 Untill gracie locked in a sub. Kimo had zero BJJ training he was just using the knowledge he got from watching Gracie in just 2 UFC events.

These days everyone has basic sub defense. Not to mention Gracie complete lack of take down ability or striking. Nobody gets by on one discipline anymore.

:)) all that without mentioning the Sakuraba domination...but hey Sakuraba was a true legend and should be in anyones top ten (layton? wtf)

1 - Royce Gracie
2 - Mark Kerr
3 - Bas Rutten
4 - Fedor Emelianenko
5 - Oleg taktarov

Seriously...Rutten is just about the most overrated guy out there, no takdedown defense whats so ever....very lucky to not be around with any good wrestlers until right at the end. Showed heart to beat TK after losing the whole fight while on his back. Got a gift vs Randleman.

Dont even get me started on Kerr and Taktarov (dont get me wrong, Oleg was decent.) :))

Obama
11-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Isn't the p4p #1 guy in MMA a BJJ guy? :rolleyes:

Well he's p4p #1 according to the UFC anyways. :))

Joa
11-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Isn't the p4p #1 guy in MMA a BJJ guy? :rolleyes:

Well he's p4p #1 according to the UFC anyways. :))

Silva? Hardly. He wins by sub now and then...vs Sonnen who seems to get triangled whenever he can. Took Silva all night to even do that. The other high profile one was Henderson who he rocked bad first.

Im not saying BJJ is in anyway not great by the way....i give Gracie much credit for bringing it through. Though just like all styles in mma it needs other skills to support it. Skills Gracie never had.

getkingSG
11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
People don't make me laugh with your nonsensical bull about Royce being #1 p4p. Prime Royce would lose to half the WW out there today. The game has evolved much from the times of Royce. This ain't boxing where people at the beggining just waved arms, and now they just wave arms in smaller circles :))

Obama
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
You guys reminds me of fans who think that the best boxers from the early 1900s and late 1800s would get totally out classed by even the ordinary champions of today. :rolleyes:

Joa
11-30-2010, 10:37 AM
You guys reminds me of fans who think that the best fighters from the early 1900s and late 1800s would get totally out classed by even the ordinary champions of today. :rolleyes:

Its a little different since you can still see all the footage from the very beginnings of the UFC. The sport has clearly evolved from the sport it was before. People in the early UFC's came in with one discipline each if that. Gracie was a step above most of them....But hey....Tank Abbot was a step above most too :))

getkingSG
11-30-2010, 10:40 AM
It's not the same with boxers... i dunno how many times have i seen MMA champions be obliterated because they didn't keep up with the sport and evolve. In the old days you could win fights easily with just BJJ or wrestling but today true champions are all well rounded, they have world class striking, world class BJJ, world class wrestling, world class boxing... Just look at GSP, wtf could Royce do to GSP, he couldn't even serve him a cup of tea.

Obama
11-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Silva don't look very competant outside of BJJ. Yet he's had the best Championship reign in UFC history. And many do in fact rate him #1 p4p.

Joa
11-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Silva don't look very competant outside of BJJ. Yet he's had the best Championship reign in UFC history. And many do in fact rate him #1 p4p.

You gotta watch more of his fights :D. Guy is a striker through and through.....His BJJ is a last resort like against Sonnen.

getkingSG
11-30-2010, 10:45 AM
First of all Silva would own half the kickboxers and 90% of the boxers in his division. RJJ ducked him.. Second of all i don't consider him a true champion he's wrestling is weak, he'll get exposed.

P.S. Let me correct that he would probably be the muay thai champion of the world in his division.

ovylord
11-30-2010, 01:11 PM
People don't make me laugh with your nonsensical bull about Royce being #1 p4p. Prime Royce would lose to half the WW out there today. The game has evolved much from the times of Royce. This ain't boxing where people at the beggining just waved arms, and now they just wave arms in smaller circles :))

That's what i'm saying. Fuck that! Don't put oldies in the P4P list just for the sake of that era to be represented if it's not the case.