PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Struve

Obama
08-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Just watched the Sky Scraper's UFC 117 prelim fight, and hah! Man this goofy ass giant was getting his ass beat bad in the first round, and it looked like the beating would continue in the second but his opponent Christian Morecraft got careless and got caught with a big straight right hand.

I notice these MMA guys have next to no defense when they trade shots...would be a disaster against a boxer.

axrw
08-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah, there is still a long way to go with striking in MMA. Especially defensively. There just seems to be more of focus on offense in MMA right now.

Some of it is a consequence of how MMA is fought, some of it I suspect is in the culture of MMA. I don't know about boxing, but if you are an undercard fighter making 4k + 4k or something, you can get a pretty hefty bonus if you can manage to make it fun to watch, whether its good for you or not.

Chan Sung Jun vs Leonard Garcia. Fun to watch, sure, would it send your average boxing purist into fits of epileptic rage, probably. These two guys helped their career with that fight though. Dana White was wearing a Korean Zombie shirt after that fight. I'd being willing to bet almost *no one* knew him before that fight. Sadly the judges gave to Garcia, but whatever.

scotsirishwithswagga
08-12-2010, 10:00 AM
true dat, nota lot ofthese guys come from a classic boxing background so their punching skills aint all that.

Layton
08-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Just watched the Sky Scraper's UFC 117 prelim fight, and hah! Man this goofy ass giant was getting his ass beat bad in the first round, and it looked like the beating would continue in the second but his opponent Christian Morecraft got careless and got caught with a big straight right hand.

I notice these MMA guys have next to no defense when they trade shots...would be a disaster against a boxer.

Thats the thing if thier both shyte at stand up(striking as they refer to it) they stay on thier feet for a while. if the other guy is good at striking it normaly ends up on the mat in no time so in alot of mma u dont get to see the stand up skills of the good guys coz they always get taken down or clinched, Which is how i can see the tony couture fight panning out