PDA

View Full Version : Fighters never seriously hurt

imported_Nothingman
05-25-2010, 10:34 AM
This might be almost the same as the "fighters never koed/tkoed" thread, but I was wondering, which fighters were never seriously hurt? You can be seriously hurt without being tkoed. I think Joe Calzaghe may make this list. Kessler hurt him a few times, but he was never in serious trouble there. Robin Reid, same thing I think. Hopkins kd him but was far from having him seriously hurt.

Obama
05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
This might be almost the same as the "fighters never koed/tkoed" thread, but I was wondering, which fighters were never seriously hurt? You can be seriously hurt without being tkoed. I think Joe Calzaghe may make this list. Kessler hurt him a few times, but he was never in serious trouble there. Robin Reid, same thing I think. Hopkins kd him but was far from having him seriously hurt.

Roy Jones hurt him too. Most everyone was seriously hurt at least once, this wouldn't be worth making a list for. Plus it's too subjective and requires seeing every fight a fighter has had.

Welshy
05-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Roy Jones is the only fighter to have seriously hurt Calzaghe; you could tell that he didn't know what day it was for the five seconds after the forearm smash.

Revolverz
05-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Tou talkin about hurt and you bring in guys like Calzaghe and Reid ?
Man, there are guys that didn`t even get wobbled.

Obama
05-25-2010, 09:06 PM
No ATGs have never been wobbled or dropped. That's reserved for unknown entities really.

Revolverz
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Calzaghe and Reid aren`t even close to that status.

imported_Nothingman
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Tou talkin about hurt and you bring in guys like Calzaghe and Reid ?
Man, there are guys that didn`t even get wobbled.
I'm sorry Bute doesn't make that list.:P

Obama
05-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Calzaghe is close to ATG...Reid hell no...but Slappy got close. Anyways he was dropped.

A thread about fighters never dropped would be more objective and list worthy. But once again, small list of familiar fighters.

Revolverz
05-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Bute`s been KTFO at AM`s and got hurt by Andrade. He ain`t chinny as he got bombed quite alot by big punchers before, but ain`t known for the best chin out there.

Did Hopkins got seriously hurt ?

lightsmac
05-25-2010, 09:15 PM
bhop got hurt by mercado in their first fight

Revolverz
05-25-2010, 09:22 PM
forgot about that fight. I hardly found it about some time ago.

imported_Nothingman
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Calzaghe is close to ATG...Reid hell no...but Slappy got close. Anyways he was dropped.

A thread about fighters never dropped would be more objective and list worthy. But once again, small list of familiar fighters.
I only mentioned Reid because he gave Calz the closest fight of his career. Like it or not, its the fact.:rolleyes:

Southpaw89
05-26-2010, 12:03 AM
I've never seen Glen Johnson seriously hurt.

Obama
05-26-2010, 03:10 AM
I've never seen Glen Johnson seriously hurt.

He was pretty beat up in the Hopkins fight. He looked like he could have kept going, but he acknowledges it as an experience he's never had before or after in the ring.

Sweet Pea
05-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Never really seen Toney in serious problems. If he does get hurt, you never see it.

imported_Nothingman
05-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Never really seen Toney in serious problems. If he does get hurt, you never see it.
Samuel Peter hurt him in the first fight once. That's all as far as I know.

Obama
05-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Reggie Johnson made him hit the canvas hard.

ecto55
05-27-2010, 02:09 AM
Yeah, nice quick 'arrow-straight' left cross that almost everyone seems to forget about, but Toney still did have a good beard.

Some fighters that dont seem to ever get hurt do get hurt but their central nervous systems react differently, instead of being 'sparked' and having their coordination twitch out on them (dropping/rocking etc. them) they take huge punshment and the only affect is their reactions, movements etc get 'slower'. Obviously, with time, even these guys can get knocked out, but a few names that come to mind like this are definatily Tex Cobb and Oliver McCall, possibly Omar Sheika (early on anyway), mabye Chuvalo and mabye Ray Mercer (Klitchko notwithstanding).
Chavez IMO was like this also, but of course as he got older and his resistence ebbed, the Surgeon Frankie Randall hurt him and the dam was broken so to speak, so he doesnt make the cut. Was Mrgarito stopped by Mosley or was he just taking punishment, I cant remember but he had a serious beard even for a mexican.

Obama
05-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Margarito was falling for the second time at the time of the stoppage, and Mercer was hurt & dropped by Holyfield.

Cosell quit broadcasting because Cobb took soo much punishment in the Holmes fight.

Welshy
05-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Marvin Hagler? I haven't watched all of his fights so I may be mistaken, but his head must have been made of concrete if his fight with Hearns was anything to go by.

imported_Nothingman
05-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Marvin Hagler? I haven't watched all of his fights so I may be mistaken, but his head must have been made of concrete if his fight with Hearns was anything to go by.
Oh shit yeah!@-) That guy was just like fckin Superman! Lol, I ever saw a picture of him made to look like he's Captain Marvel!:)) It was on the cover of a Ring number I believe.

Obama
05-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Hagler has been hurt a few times. Philadelphia's Cyclone Hart was one of the men to hurt him. Obviously Hearns was another...

imported_Nothingman
05-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Hagler has been hurt a few times. Philadelphia's Cyclone Hart was one of the men to hurt him. Obviously Hearns was another...
Hurt, but not seriously hurt.

Obama
05-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Hurt, but not seriously hurt.

Seriously hurt to me. Unless you want to define seriously hurt as about to be KOed or stopped. Actually he was about to be stopped in the Hearns fight.

CHARLIET
05-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Pernell whitaker?

ecto55
05-28-2010, 03:04 AM
Pernell whitaker?

I beleive Trinidad hurt him, and I know for sure that Hurtudo hurt Whitaker before Sweat Pea rallied..but Whitaker's a near thing excluding his last few fights due to his evasiveness.

Another highly evasive fighter, Nicolino Locche in over 130 fights was stopped on a cut only once and never KO'd. Ive only seen 2-3 full fights and some clips of others, he never looked like getting hit let alone hurt, but Boxrec record says that he was dropped once in a fight with Carlos Hernandez- a fight he won over 15 "comfortably". Point being, even the most skillful defensive fighters get hurt if they're competing in the higher echelons, ditto with the guys who have phenomenal chins..

To find a guy 'never seriously hurt', wer'e either going to have to look for 1) an undefeated guy who was highly skilled or had a great chin AND who never really competed in the higher echelons were he was tested (and is probably the kind of fighter whose name wont easily come to mind), or we are talking about 2) an active fighter similarly hasn't been tested (and so hurt) at present.

So so far, in a pure ATG sense, Nicolino Locche comes closest IMBO (and yet strictly doesnt fit the bill!).
In category 1)- I know of undefeated Aussie Mark Janssen, but his claim isn't as noteworthy as he never really fought outside his backyard.
In category 2) there's probably a dozen talented young guys out there....

lightsmac
05-28-2010, 03:59 AM
since when was locche an ATG?

Obama
05-28-2010, 07:10 AM
since when was locche an ATG?

Since always fool. Locche > Pryor, that's for sure.

Also, ecto, I have most of the Locche - Hernandez fight in the Locche Fight thread.

imported_Nothingman
05-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Seriously hurt to me. Unless you want to define seriously hurt as about to be KOed or stopped. Actually he was about to be stopped in the Hearns fight.
Lol, that was a cut that came out of nowhere! You can't seriously count that!

Obama
05-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Lol, that was a cut that came out of nowhere! You can't seriously count that!

The hell I can't. And Tommy Hearns brutalizing your face never causes a cut "out of nowhere". If Tommy's punches didn't hurt (which they did, Marvin admitted that much) the "Marvelous" one would have to be super human.

imported_Nothingman
05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
The hell I can't. And Tommy Hearns brutalizing your face never causes a cut "out of nowhere". If Tommy's punches didn't hurt (which they did, Marvin admitted that much) the "Marvelous" one would have to be super human.
Of course it hurt! But they put all others to sleep and he took them!

imported_Nothingman
05-28-2010, 12:54 PM
When I think about it, Atomic Bull McCall has never been seriously hurt either. Not in the fights I've seen. Bruno dished out a lot punishment, but McCall never looked shaken or in trouble. He had a seriously underrated chin, good ol' Ollie.

Obama
05-28-2010, 01:06 PM
When I think about it, Atomic Bull McCall has never been seriously hurt either. Not in the fights I've seen. Bruno dished out a lot punishment, but McCall never looked shaken or in trouble. He had a seriously underrated chin, good ol' Ollie.

First good example you gave.

imported_Nothingman
05-28-2010, 01:24 PM
First good example you gave.
Whew!:P He really has an incredible chin, doesn't he!@-)

lightsmac
05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Since always fool. Locche > Pryor, that's for sure.

Also, ecto, I have most of the Locche - Hernandez fight in the Locche Fight thread.

plz..pryor and locche are on the same lvl. these guys are borderline atg

Obama
05-28-2010, 08:42 PM
plz..pryor and locche are on the same lvl. these guys are borderline atg

No borderline for Locche, man was simply decades ahead of his time. Straight up ATG.

lightsmac
05-28-2010, 10:24 PM
decades ahead of his time? what ru talking about??

Obama
05-28-2010, 10:45 PM
decades ahead of his time? what ru talking about??

The man was basically the Argentinian Floyd Mayweather. The style was way ahead of his time.

lightsmac
05-28-2010, 11:42 PM
man ur just exaggerating.. ezzard charles and archie moore were the defensive masters long before locche, u think james toney watched locche? hell no he watched charles and moore

Obama
05-29-2010, 12:17 AM
man ur just exaggerating.. ezzard charles and archie moore were the defensive masters long before locche, u think james toney watched locche? hell no he watched charles and moore

Those guys weren't as good defensively as Locche, nor did they fight in the same style as him. His style is way ahead of his time, not his skill level. That's the whole point of the expression being way ahead of your time...come now, you should have known that.

ecto55
05-29-2010, 02:50 AM

Funny you bring up James Toney and Locche, as although its common knowledge Bill Miller (one of James Toney's early trainers with Greg Owens and the salient influence on his style) was a Detroit gym product and favoured Archie Moore and especially Charles who he knew and trained with personally; some of the James Toney defensive manouvere's and even the arrogant mannerism's are so like Locche's as to be startling.
I'd be speculating if I said Toney was influenced by Locche to the degree that he says he was by Moore or Charles, but given the emphasis that Bill Miller placed on defence, I'd bet my life he'd be familiar with Locche. Authentic boxing trainers like Ray Arcel always maintained that Locche was the best defensive fighter in history, quite a compliment considering Arcel was around boxing from the 20's to the Tyson era, and was very well acquaited with the better known Benny Leonard's and Willie Pep's, and I've no doubt Miller would have been also (I know I was, myself and an uncle were planning to go to S/America on a boxing tour in the late 80's and a pilgrimage to meet Locche was on the list of things to do- a real regret now that Locche's passed).

Locche's only sort of been 'rediscovered' by the boxing mainstream a few years ago, I remember doing Google internet searches even say in 2004-5 and coming up with only 20-30 results, but he's getting circulation now just like everyone started going gaga over Charlie Burley recently also. Like I said, trainers who study fighters for techniques and who have decades of collective experience to draw on never forget about guy like Locche, there's plenty more out there too, Holly Mims, Eddie Booker or Bernard 'Superbad' Mays could the next internet sensations when someone stumbles on them and realises what their seeing!

Rhetorical question- Why wouldn't James Toney attribute Locche to having input into his development (if he did), who knows, but boxers/boxing trainers are very secretive about their hard earned knowledge, I know I wasn't telling the world about him and still dont, let the idiots rave about defensive masters like Clottey.

As for Locche not being an ATG, Locche's a self-evident phenonemen, if you cant see that I dont see much point in trying to tell you any different. Its extremely hard to not get hit in the ring, especially when fighting opponents of comparable quality, let alone Worlds champions; the way Locche operated is truly unique and his ring record notwithstanding, secures his legacy. Incidently, he was a unaminous IBHOF inductee.

lightsmac
05-29-2010, 03:54 AM
no argument from me, ur a veteran :|