05-14-2010, 01:42 PM
http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/8/8b/Morales.jpg

Erik "El Terrible" Morales

WBC Super Bantamweight champion
WBO Super Bantamweight champion
WBC Featherweight champion x2
WBC Super Featherweight Champion
IBF Super Featherweight Champion

Erik Morales is one of Mexico's greatest fighters ever. He has won six titles in three weight classes and was the first and so far only fighter to beat a prime Manny Pacquiao. Born to Jose Morales, a former professional boxer, Morales started boxing at the age of 5. His amateur career was very impressive as he won 11 Mexican titles and finished with a record of 108-6. He turned pro at the age of 16 and after 16 straight wins, mostly by knockout, he captured the NABF super bantamweight title in 1995. In 1997 he got a title shot against the WBC titleholder and future hall of famer Daniel Zaragoza. After a slow start, Morales took control, flooring Zaragoza in the tenth and stopping him in the eleventh round. He had just turned 21 five days prior to the bout.

In 1998, Morales met Junior Jones, the man who had been the first to beat and even knock out Marco Antonio Barrera, 2 years prior. After three even rounds, Morales stopped Jones in the fourth round and furthermore boosted his image. In 1999 he beat Northern Irish Wayne McCullough by decision and then in early 2000 he squared off for the first time against his future archrival, Marco Antonio Barrera. There was a lot of resentment between the two and trashtalk before the fight flowed free. Barrera represented Mexico City, the wealthier part of Mexico, while Morales was the "slum boy" from Tijuana. In a fight that has since been proclaimed one of the greatest classics in history, Morales got the decision. After that fight, Morales who was always a tall super bantamweight at 5'8, vacated his title and moved up to the featherweight division. That same year he stopped the power puncher Kevin Kelley in 7 rounds to earn the right to fight for the WBC FW title. Next year he met the champion Guty Espadas jr and won by what some have called a controversial, but unanimous decision to take his second weightclass title. After defending it by UD against Korean In-Jin Chi, Morales signed for a rematch against Barrera in 2002. This time the fight was rather uneventful, especially compared to the action-packed classic the first fight was. Although Morales seemed to win majority of the rounds, the judges somehow gave Barrera the victory, perhaps due to what was deemed a controversial scoring in the first fight.

Morales rebounded and as Barrera vacated the title at once, he recaptured it by outpointing former bantamweight champ Paulie Ayala. In his two defenses, he stopped Eddie Croft and Fernando Velardez. Morales decided to move up to SFW after that and vacated his title. He rematched Espadas jr and this time knocked him out in the third. He then won the WBC SFW title against Jesus Chavez by UD. He won the IBF belt by beating Carlos Hernandez in 2004, but was stripped by IBF for refusing to face the nr.1 ranked Robbie Peden. The third match with Barrera was more exciting than the previous and Barrera banged out a majority decision. After that, Morales made his last and perhaps most pivotal achievement when he took on Manny Pacquiao, 19th March 2005. Pacman was coming off a stoppage win over Barrera himself and was hailed as the new great thing. The match was fast paced and furious, but Morales figured out Pacquiao and managed to outbox him and win a close decision. He had become the first western fighter to beat Pacquiao and the first to beat him in his prime.

By now, Morales was no longer prime. He lost the next two fights to Pacquiao by TKO10 and KO3 and also lost to Zahir Raheem and David Diaz, after which he retired. He has made a comeback in 2010 and beat Jose Alfaro on points in Mexico, improving his record to 49-6-0, with 34 knockouts.

Notable wins:
Manny Pacquiao
Marco Antonio Barrera
Junior Jones
Daniel Zaragoza
Kevin Kelley
Wayne McCullough
Guty Espadas jr. x2
Paulie Ayala
Jesus Chavez
Carlos Hernandez
In Jin Chi
John Lowey
Remigio Daniel Molina
Fernando Velardez
Angel Chacon
Juan Carlos Ramirez
Jose Luis Bueno

Notable losses:
Marco Antonio Barrera x2 <nr.1 controversial>
Manny Pacquiao x2 <Morales past prime>
Zahir Raheem <Morales past prime>

Controversial wins:
Marco Antonio Barrera I

Controversial losses:
Marco Antonio Barrera II
David Diaz

Overall points score:

'A' level wins:
Manny Pacquiao, Marco Antonio Barrera
'A-' level wins:
Daniel Zaragoza, Junior Jones
'B' level wins:
Wayne McCullough, Guty Espadas jr x2, Kevin Kelley, Paulie Ayala, In-Jin Chi, Jesus Chavez, Carlos Hernandez, John Lowey, Fernando Velardez, Remigio Daniel Molina
'B-' level wins:
Angel Chacon, Juan Carlos Ramirez, Jose Luis Bueno

Points score: 4+4.5+10.5+1.5-8=12.5

(Possible modifications: Zaragoza was past prime, so he might be demoted to B. Junior Jones was coming off a tko loss, but he still looked good against Morales. I guess he was just chinny. Chavez & Hernandez might both be A-? Not sure about Lowey. Ayala is A- or even A perhaps, but not as a FW. Espadas might be A- also, but again he might not.)

gran
05-14-2010, 01:59 PM
i wonder if this cat still has the spunk that made him a star in the past:)

imported_Nothingman
05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
i wonder if this cat still has the spunk that made him a star in the past:)
It remains to see. He looked pretty good in the last fight. I think he can beat Barrios, by outsmarting him. Maybe even koing him, Barrios is a pretty small guy. But he's tough.

Obama
05-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Already did Morales some time ago:

Notable Wins:
Hector Acero Sanchez
Daniel Zaragoza <Post-Prime>
Jose Luis Bueno
Junior Jones
Juan Carlos Ramirez
Wayne McCullough
Marco Antonio Barrera
Kevin Kelley <Over the hill>
Guty Espadas Jr. (x2)
In Jin-Chi
Paulie Ayala <Post-Prime>
Fernando Velardez
Jesus Chavez
Carlos Hernandez
Manny Pacquiao
Notable Losses:
Marco Antonio Barrera (x2) <Morales Post-Prime in 2nd defeat>
Questionable Wins:
Marco Antonio Barrera I
Questionable Losses:
Marco Antonio Barrera II
David Diaz

*The 3rd fight with a past it Barrera also established Morales as past it.
*Somewhere between the 12th round of the 1st fight with Pacquiao to the Raheem fight, he became over the hill.
*Ayala had been given at least 3 gift decisions before Morales beat him. He was either past it or not that good to begin with, your pick. Whichever the case may be, he rates (A-).

'A' level wins:
Marco Antonio Barrera, Manny Pacquiao
'A-' level wins:
Junior Jones, Paulie Ayala
'B' level wins:
Hector Acero Sanchez, Daniel Zaragoza, Wayne McCullough, Kevin Kelley, In Jin-Chi, Jesus Chavez, Carlos Hernandez
'B-' level wins:
Jose Luis Bueno, Juan Carlos Ramirez, Guty Espadas Jr. (x2), Fernando Velardez

Point Total: 4 + 3 + 7 + 2.25 – 2.5 = 13.75

imported_Nothingman
05-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Already did Morales some time ago:

Notable Wins:
Hector Acero Sanchez
Daniel Zaragoza <Post-Prime>
Jose Luis Bueno
Junior Jones
Juan Carlos Ramirez
Wayne McCullough
Marco Antonio Barrera
Kevin Kelley <Over the hill>
Guty Espadas Jr. (x2)
In Jin-Chi
Paulie Ayala <Post-Prime>
Fernando Velardez
Jesus Chavez
Carlos Hernandez
Manny Pacquiao
Notable Losses:
Marco Antonio Barrera (x2) <Morales Post-Prime in 2nd defeat>
Questionable Wins:
Marco Antonio Barrera I
Questionable Losses:
Marco Antonio Barrera II
David Diaz

*The 3rd fight with a past it Barrera also established Morales as past it.
*Somewhere between the 12th round of the 1st fight with Pacquiao to the Raheem fight, he became over the hill.
*Ayala had been given at least 3 gift decisions before Morales beat him. He was either past it or not that good to begin with, your pick. Whichever the case may be, he rates (A-).

'A' level wins:
Marco Antonio Barrera, Manny Pacquiao
'A-' level wins:
Junior Jones, Paulie Ayala
'B' level wins:[/b]
Hector Acero Sanchez, Daniel Zaragoza, Wayne McCullough, Kevin Kelley, In Jin-Chi, Jesus Chavez, Carlos Hernandez
'B-' level wins:
Jose Luis Bueno, Juan Carlos Ramirez, Guty Espadas Jr. (x2), Fernando Velardez

Point Total: 4 + 3 + 7 + 2.25 – 2.5 = 13.75
Espadas a B-??Really?:-??Wow...I won't object to that, since I don't know him really. So I was right about Ayala...Zaragoza WAS past prime, its true. But I'm glad we agree on Jones...whew!:)) :)

Obama
05-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Espadas a B-??Really?:-??Wow...I won't object to that, since I don't know him really. So I was right about Ayala...Zaragoza WAS past prime, its true. But I'm glad we agree on Jones...whew!:)) :)

Guty actually has a credible resume, unlike many of your B rated fighters who have no business being rated at all. Once again you can't seem to look past a good win / loss ratio and analyze who's actually being beaten in the process.

imported_Nothingman
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Guty actually has a credible resume, unlike many of your B rated fighters who have no business being rated at all. Once again you can't seem to look past a good win / loss ratio and analyze who's actually being beaten in the process.
No need for insults, I was being nice to you.:| So why do you rate Guty B- then?? He was good enough to make people believe he got robbed against Morales.

gran
05-14-2010, 04:35 PM
erik might have to dig down deep into the tank and maybe resort to old school tactics,if he can come out early and surprise the barrios camp with a ferocious style[ala tyson] that would cause some panic, and barrios would be forced to change his game plan:)

Obama
05-14-2010, 08:39 PM
No need for insults, I was being nice to you.:| So why do you rate Guty B- then?? He was good enough to make people believe he got robbed against Morales.

He has losses to C level fighters and only really has 2 meaningful wins.

Obama
05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
erik might have to dig down deep into the tank and maybe resort to old school tactics,if he can come out early and surprise the barrios camp with a ferocious style[ala tyson] that would cause some panic, and barrios would be forced to change his game plan:)

Barrios never changes game plans. The man is as 1 dimensional as it gets. He's always there to be countered, and that's all Morales has to do to win.