PDA

View Full Version : Luis Manuel Rodriguez

imported_Nothingman
05-07-2010, 07:27 PM
What do you think of this guy? A Cuban, one of the first Cuban pros obviusly. Beat Emile Griffith and won the ww title and lost to him in the rematch. Was also famous for outslicking Benvenuti only to get ktfod by a single left hook. He also beat Rubin Carter and a handful of other top fighters of the time. He has obviously been less mentioned by many historians and writers than his countrymen Napoles and Gavilan.

ecto55
05-08-2010, 02:50 AM
An excellent champion, overlooked today and not much footage around. He was a boxer-puncher, people shouldn't be decieved by his record that might indicate he couldn't KO, but that more a stylistic thing- his fluid movment and boxing ability meant he often didn't need to.
He bombed out the talented Tony Mundine Snr with two left hooks in 1 round, decisioned tow of the most ferocious punchers at 160lb in history- Benny Briscoe and Rubin Caretr; and two of my favorite boxers- the excellent Holly Mims and Georgie Benton. I grudgingly have to admit this guy was an excellent craftsman, beating some of my favorite fighters as he did.

Obama
05-11-2010, 04:41 AM
You can make a strong argument he's a top 20-30 WW. Better if he won the Curtis Cokes trilogy.

imported_Nothingman
05-11-2010, 10:31 AM
You can make a strong argument he's a top 20-30 WW. Better if he won the Curtis Cokes trilogy.
Well, in the last fight he woulda won had the ref not stopped the fight, prematurely. That's what I read anyway. He was ahead on the scorecards.

Obama
05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Well, in the last fight he woulda won had the ref not stopped the fight, prematurely. That's what I read anyway. He was ahead on the scorecards.

It was Angelo Dundee, Rodriguez's trainer, who called the fight off. Rodriguez was taking a terrible beating in the 14th and 15th rounds.

imported_Nothingman
09-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Here's his resume evaluation:

Notable wins:
Emile Griffith
Curtis Cokes
Rubin Carter x2
Bennie Briscoe x2
Benny Paret x2
Virgil Akins x2
Joe Miceli
Georgie Benton
Tony Mundine
Isaac Logart
Joey Giambra
Holly Mims <post prime>
LC Morgan
Vicente Rondon
Denny Moyer
Wilbert McClure x2 <undefeated>
Yama Bahama
Luis Federico Thompson
Chico Vejar <post prime>
Gomeo Brennan
Johnny Gonsalves <post prime>
Jose Monon Gonzalez x2
Juan Carlos Rivero <post prime>

Notable losses:
Curtis Cokes x2
Nino Benvenuti
Vicente Rondon

Questionable losses:
Emile Griffith I, III & IV

A level wins:
Emile Griffith, Curtis Cokes
A- level wins:
Benny Paret x2, Georgie Benton, Rubin Carter x2, Vicente Rondon
B level wins:
Bennie Briscoe, Virgil Akins, Joe Miceli, Tony Mundine, Isaac Logart, Luis Fedrico Thompson, Denny Moyer, Gomeo Brennan, Yama Bahama, Joey Giambra, Wilbert McClure x2, Jose Monon Gonzalez x2
B- level wins:
Chico Vejar, Juan Carlos Rivero, LC Morgan, Johnny Gonsalves

Points score: 4+7.5+13+2-12=14.5

Modifications can be done.

hhascup
10-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Rodriquez was one of my favorite fighters. Some boxing people feel that he beat Griffith all 4 times. If you add up all the scorecards of all 4 bouts, Rodriquez actually scored more points. He had an excellent left jab, had very fast hands, in fact Angelo Dundee stated that his hands were faster then Ali and Leonard's. He also had a very good chin and IMO was one of the most underrated Champions we ever had.

Here's an article on an interview with Angelo Dundee.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2354/angelo_dundee_the_best_ive_trained/

Obama
10-01-2010, 03:44 AM
Rodriquez was one of my favorite fighters. Some boxing people feel that he beat Griffith all 4 times. If you add up all the scorecards of all 4 bouts, Rodriquez actually scored more points. He had an excellent left jab, had very fast hands, in fact Angelo Dundee stated that his hands were faster then Ali and Leonard's. He also had a very good chin and IMO was one of the most underrated Champions we ever had.

Read that interview recently. We keep an archive of them here:

http://www.sweetboxing.com/showthread.php?t=5754

imported_Nothingman
10-01-2010, 11:39 AM

They say Ali stole some of his moves.

TYSON DURAN
10-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Is there much footage of him?

I've heard alot about him but have never seen him fight.

imported_Nothingman
10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Is there much footage of him?

I've heard alot about him but have never seen him fight.
There is some. At youtube. They got his fights with Benvenuti and Griffith and a couple others.

TYSON DURAN
10-05-2010, 06:15 PM
There is some. At youtube. They got his fights with Benvenuti and Griffith and a couple others.

Thanks, I'll have a look