imported_Nothingman
05-02-2010, 09:10 PM
http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/a/ab/Monzon.Carlos.jpg

Carlos "Escopeta" Monzon

WBC Middleweight Champion x2
WBA Middleweight Champion
Undisputed Middleweight Champion x2

Record: 87(59)-3-9

Carlos Monzon was one of the greatest middleweights in history. He was tall, lanky and had a strange habit of pushing his punches. He seemed lumbersome in the ring, yet his punches were devastating, his conditioning perfect, and his chin was made of iron. Yet, his somewhat aloof personality, coupled with an almost listless ring style, caused Monzon to toil in the rings of Argentine against mostly 2nd rate fighters. After losing three fights in his first year as a pro, Monzon won over 50 straight fights to earn a number 10 world ranking in 1970.

When Monzon shocked the boxing world by winning the World Middleweight Title by knocking out Nino Benvenuti (http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Nino_Benvenuti), people rubbed their heads and said, "Carlos Who?!" Fame and fortune were now his. Next he defeated some major names like a past prime-Emile Griffith, Denny Moyer, Tom Bogs, Bennie Briscoe, Jose Napoles, Tony Mundine and finally Rodrigo Valdez. The second fight with Valdez was a difficult one for Monzon and he was dropped once, but he mounted a brilliant comeback to win. It was his last fight. He retired undefeated over the last thirteen years of his career and made 14 title defenses. In retirement boredom set in and so did his demons. Caught up in the party lifestyle, it came crashing down when he was convicted of killing his common-law-wife.

Monzon died in a car accident while on a prison furlough.

Notable wins:
Nino Benvenuti x2
Emile Griffith <past prime>
Jose Napoles
Rodrigo Valdez x2
Tom Bogs
Bennie Briscoe
Denny Moyer
Tony Mundine
Jean-Claude Bouttier x2
Tony Licata

Notable loses:
None

Overall points score:

'A' level wins:
Nino Benvenuti I
'A-' level wins:
Jose Napoles, Emile Griffith I, Rodrigo Valdez x2
'B' level wins:
Tony Mundine, Emile Griffith II, Tom Bogs, Tony Licata, Jean Claude Bouttier x2, Denny Moyer, Nino Benvenuti II, Bennie Briscoe

Points score: 2+5.25+7.5=14.75

Obama
05-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Benvenuti was past his prime and Valdez was never elite. Briscoe, while I love him, is still a B fighter. And Monzon's first fight with him was a questionable draw.

imported_Nothingman
05-02-2010, 09:58 PM
]Benvenuti was past his prime and Valdez was never elite.[/B] Briscoe, while I love him, is still a B fighter. And Monzon's first fight with him was a questionable draw.
Bullshit. Benvenuti was past prime in the second fight maybe, not in the first. And Valdez beat Briscoe three times and was ranked by Herb Goldman as 25th best middleweight ever!

Obama
05-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Bullshit. Benvenuti was past prime in the second fight maybe, not in the first. And Valdez beat Briscoe three times and was ranked by Herb Goldman as 25th best middleweight ever!

I know all about Herb's ratings. They suck. They're also extremely old. You wouldn't even know half the guys he rated. And believe me, Benvenuti was past it AND above his best weight. Man was never a strong A Middleweight at any time in his career.

imported_Nothingman
05-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I know all about Herb's ratings. They suck. They're also extremely old. You wouldn't even know half the guys he rated. And believe me, Benvenuti was past it AND above his best weight. Man was never a strong A Middleweight at any time in his career.
Doesn't matter, he was still a world class BOXER. It took more than just punching power to knock him out.

Obama
05-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Doesn't matter, he was still a world class BOXER. It took more than just punching power to knock him out.

Don't mean you need to inflate Monzon's resume.

The man just never beat a prime elite fighter. Simple as that.

Also the Napoles win needs to be demoted to B. He was completely unproven at anything above WW.

imported_Nothingman
05-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Don't mean you need to inflate Monzon's resume.

The man just never beat a prime elite fighter. Simple as that.

Also the Napoles win needs to be demoted to B. He was completely unproven at anything above WW.
Typical of you, isn't it. To degrade a boxer who you have no relationship with. Elite, what is your definition of ELITE really?! Isn't a guy who gave Monzon a hard time and knocked him down elite to you? He beat Briscoe, he's maybe not elite but he was talented definitely. And Valdez beat him thrice.

Sorry, I need a second opinion by an expert before I change any of this.

Obama
05-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I've only called for 1 rung demotions. It's not like I called anyone a bum. You just typically tend to over rate people.

My ratings always make sense in relation to each other. Valdez is A-, Briscoe is B.

imported_Nothingman
05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I've only called for 1 rung demotions. It's not like I called anyone a bum. You just typically tend to over rate people.

My ratings always make sense in relation to each other. Valdez is A-, Briscoe is B.
I had given up on rating fighters, but then nobody seemed interested in my threads...:(

Obama
05-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I had given up on rating fighters, but then nobody seemed interested in my threads...:(

Yea that tends to happen. :))

Controversy sells...

lightsmac
05-02-2010, 11:17 PM
valdez and benvenuti would beat every mw right now

Obama
05-02-2010, 11:33 PM
valdez and benvenuti would beat every mw right now

Valdez wasn't that hard to out box. I'll take Martinez over him.

lightsmac
05-02-2010, 11:37 PM
valdez would kayo martinez. too easy to hit

Obama
05-02-2010, 11:44 PM
"too easy to hit"

:))

Yea, check the Hugo Pastor Corro fight. At least a description of the fight.

lightsmac
05-02-2010, 11:52 PM
valdez went to war with carlos monzon. valdez is easy to outbox? haha yeh right. p.will is a technical mess and he landed a sht load of shots on him

Obama
05-03-2010, 12:06 AM
valdez went to war with carlos monzon. valdez is easy to outbox? haha yeh right. p.will is a technical mess and he landed a sht load of shots on him

Your using the wrong examples. Reference fight I gave you.