PDA

View Full Version : roy jones' power-where's it gone?

CHARLIET
02-14-2010, 01:07 PM
A much used phrase by boxing commentators is "power is the last to go in aging fighters".What happened to Jones' concussive power hitting ? Last evidence of power punching was in 2002 when he beat Glen Kelly.

imported_Nothingman
02-14-2010, 02:05 PM
A much used phrase by boxing commentators is "power is the last to go in aging fighters".What happened to Jones' concussive power hitting ? Last evidence of power punching was in 2002 when he beat Glen Kelly.
I don't know...you're right about the Kelly fight. I think the move up to HW and then move back to LHW was what weakened his power. Very likely.

TheGreatA
02-14-2010, 02:10 PM
The punches that you don't see coming are the punches that often hurt you the most. Another saying is that speed kills.

Roy's power went along with his speed. He just doesn't have it anymore.

Obama
02-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Roy still has the fastest hands in the LHW division, that combo he did off the ropes in the Lacy fight can't be done by anyone else. Roy is the only person to stop Lacy btw, so I wouldn't say his power is gone quite yet. Roy never did sit down on his punches, so back when he had legs they made his punches more effective, since he launched into them. Now he no longer has legs.

imported_Mofo2
02-14-2010, 10:42 PM
If the power and the speed were still there, he would obviously be more effective than he has been. For me its definitely a loss of speed that has effected his ability to land hard clean shots that has been his downfall.

TheGreatA
02-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Roy still has the fastest hands in the LHW division, that combo he did off the ropes in the Lacy fight can't be done by anyone else. Roy is the only person to stop Lacy btw, so I wouldn't say his power is gone quite yet. Roy never did sit down on his punches, so back when he had legs they made his punches more effective, since he launched into them. Now he no longer has legs.

He has speed but not the combination of speed and power in my opinion. I agree with what you said about his legs. You don't see him leaping in and out with a left hook and knocking down durable opponents like he did in the past. He still throws quick combinations and can accumulate stoppage wins but he's not really dangerous with one punch any longer.

I think Lacy is just a punching bag at this point of his career and should retire even more so than Roy who is atleast not durable enough to take the punishment that Lacy does in each of his recent fights.

imported_Nothingman
02-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Roy was quite a phenomenon, a natural super mw knocking out all the big light hw's who later became cw's and even hw's. But that was quite long ago...

gran
02-17-2010, 10:40 PM
actually i believe as you get older your speed gets slower, which in turn will make your punches less powerful:)

TheGreatA
02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
actually i believe as you get older your speed gets slower, which in turn will make your punches less powerful:)

You don't necessarily have to be fast to hit hard though. But I agree that for fighters who rely on speed, their power will most likely leave them along with speed as they get older.

gran
02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
jones was not really a hard puncher,he is a slick fighter,and in his prime was very hard to hit:)

Obama
02-18-2010, 09:40 PM
jones was not really a hard puncher,he is a slick fighter,and in his prime was very hard to hit:)

he knocked out Virgil Hill with a body shot. That's the only time Hill never beat a 10 count. He also completely destroyed the vast majority of his opponents until Gerald McClellan's accident. I'd say he hit pretty damn hard. At Middleweight, his power is on par with anyone in the modern era.