PDA

View Full Version : Points winner by ko!

CHARLIET
02-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I recall watching a video of Britain's Brian London fighting Ingemar Johansson -making a comeback after the Patterson fights- and with the last punch of the fight knocked Johansson out but unfortunately the bell had sounded before the count of ten for the end of the fight.
I also vaguely recall watching an old video of Ezzard Charles being involved in a ko in the last round but the bell sounded before the count of ten-not sure if Charles was ko'd or his opponent,it was not a championship fight one of the later fights in Charles' career.
Another instance of a ko becoming a points win was Michael Morrer koing Mike White in a 10 rounder.
Any more out there?

Obama
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
You looking for fights where anyone is saved by the final bell or just the winner?

CHARLIET
02-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi,I'm looking ,mainly for fights where the winner was ko'd (e.g.JOHANSSON),but not counted out due to the bell going to end the fight and then declared the points winner.

Obama
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
This will take a long time to think about. All I could think of off the top of my head was Sonny Liston vs. Bert Whitehurst 1958-10-24 where Whitehurst was knocked through the ropes, but lost the decision. Can't think of any fights where the guy was going to lose by KO but got saved by the bell and won the decision, at the moment.

TheGreatA
02-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Johansson wasn't KO'd, he actually got up before the count of 10, but the referee went onto say that he would have stopped the fight if not for the bell because Johansson was out on his feet.