PDA

View Full Version : 10 Best Heavyweights from the 1990s (On their best day)

Obama
02-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Now for my favorite era...

Riddick Bowe
Evander Holyfield
Lennox Lewis
Ike Ibeabuchi
Mike Tyson
Michael Moorer
Ray Mercer
Buster Douglas (1990-02-11 to be specific....)
David Tua
Chris Byrd

Honorable Mention

George Foreman (Shocked the world and made history in '94)
Oliver McCall (Would be higher if he didn't KO Lewis with his eyes closed)
Larry Holmes (1992-02-07 to be specific....)
Tommy Morrison
Vitali Klitschko (Undefeated WBO Champ)
Wladimir Klitschko (young Wlad on the way up)

Note: Everyone save Douglas and McCall were elite/semi-elite fighters on a multiple fight basis

@@@@@@@@@@@
Back to Archive (http://sweetboxing.com/showthread.php?t=10990)
@@@@@@@@@@@

Sweet Pea
02-05-2010, 07:10 AM
1990s had the potential to be one of the greatest eras EVER. Look at the fights we missed out:

David Tua vs. Mike Tyson
Ike Ibeabuchi vs. Lennox Lewis
Mike Tyson vs. Riddick Bowe
George Foreman vs. Larry Holmes
David Tua vs. Riddick Bowe
Mike Tyson vs. George Foreman
Ike Ibeabuchi vs. Tommy Morrison
Ray Mercer vs. Mike Tyson
David Tua vs. Oliver McCall
Ike Ibeabuchi vs. Riddick Bowe

Obama
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
1990s had the potential to be one of the greatest eras EVER. Look at the fights we missed out:

David Tua vs. Mike Tyson

Poor glass jaw Morrison. Other than that, good matchups.

lightsmac
02-05-2010, 10:07 PM
buster at his best is no.3 in the 90s

Obama
02-05-2010, 10:56 PM
buster at his best is no.3 in the 90s

He beat a fat post-prime Tyson after getting KOed himself earlier in the fight. Let's not get carried away here.

imported_Nothingman
02-06-2010, 03:12 PM
1. Riddick Bowe
2. Evander Holyfield
3. Lennox Lewis
4. Oliver McCall
5. Ray Mercer
6. Mike Tyson
7. Razor Ruddock
8. Andrzej Golota
9. Tommy Morrison
10. David Tua/Ike Ibeabuchi

Honorable mentions:
Zeljko Mavrovic (gave Lewis his toughest fight)
Vitali Klitschko (beat Herbie Hide and won the WBO title in '99)
Frank Bruno (outboxed Lewis for 6 rounds)
Wladimir Klitschko (his greatest yet to come, but a serious contender in the late 90's already)

Obama
02-06-2010, 03:49 PM

What crack are you smoking man?

imported_Nothingman
02-06-2010, 04:35 PM

What crack are you smoking man?
Ask Lewis, he said it himself!

Obama
02-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Ask Lewis, he said it himself!

Fighters tend to be full of shit. The people who almost beat Lewis in the 90s gave him his toughest fights, not this bum.

imported_Nothingman
02-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Fighters tend to be full of shit. The people who almost beat Lewis in the 90s gave him his toughest fights, not this bum.
This "bum" was 27-0 before he lost to Lewis.

Obama
02-06-2010, 08:57 PM
This "bum" was 27-0 before he lost to Lewis.

Here you go with numbers again. Numbers and no names. He didn't beat anyone worth half a damn. Maybe two guys worth a quarter of a damn, but that's not exactly high rolling.

lightsmac
02-06-2010, 09:45 PM
well.. mavrovic was a lot better than some bum like chagaev

Obama
02-06-2010, 09:51 PM
well.. mavrovic was a lot better than some bum like chagaev

Please! Prime Chagaev actually beat credible fighters, and looked VERY good against a man that outweighed him by 100 lbs.

imported_Nothingman
02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Please! Prime Chagaev actually beat credible fighters, and looked VERY good against a man that outweighed him by 100 lbs.
Sorry, I forgot for a moment you're a anti-Euro, especially Eastern Euro.:rolleyes:

Obama
02-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Sorry, I forgot for a moment you're a anti-Euro, especially Eastern Euro.:rolleyes:

And what the hell is Chagaev professor? :))

imported_Nothingman
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
And what the hell is Chagaev professor? :))
He's UZBEK and Uzbekistan is in ASIA, professor!:rolleyes: Doesn't matter if he grew up in communist country.

Obama
02-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Guess I just love me some White asians, don't I. =))

Welshy
02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Guess I just love me some White asians, don't I. =))

President of the Chris John fan club.

lightsmac
02-07-2010, 05:36 PM
aight O... how about Golota? he would whoop chagaevs ass

Obama
02-07-2010, 06:44 PM
aight O... how about Golota? he would whoop chagaevs ass

This is a 90s list. Chagaev isn't even in the honorable mention category. Golota won't be either, too much talent in the 90s for him.

frankenfrank
07-31-2010, 06:53 AM
1. Evander Holyfield
2. Oliver McCall
3. Riddick Bowe
4. Ike Ibeabuchi
5. David Tua
6. Lennox Lewis
7. Mike Tyson
8. Michael Grant
9. Ross Puritty
10. Orlin Norris

11. Ray Mercer
12. Chris Byrd
13. James Douglas
14. Jesse Fergusson

Obama
07-31-2010, 06:55 AM
How do you justify Vitali that high in the 90s? He was nobody then.

frankenfrank
07-31-2010, 10:27 AM
How do you justify Vitali that high in the 90s? He was nobody then.
Reminded , reconsidered and improved.

frankenfrank
07-31-2010, 10:32 AM

David Tua vs. Mike Tyson
Tua vs. Bowe ? no , a mismatch , Tua 2 short 4 Bowe.

frankenfrank
07-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Poor glass jaw Morrison. Other than that, good matchups.
True , but Bowe vs. Tua is also a mismatch as I mentioned.
And have you heard about Ibeabuchi perpetually going down against his stablemate Kirk Johnson in sparring sessions ? it may take away from the legend of Ibeabuchi's chin.
Tua did manage to hurt him , but is just 2 short 2 reach full force .
Tua was 4.5" shorter than Ibeabuchi.

gran
07-31-2010, 01:54 PM
1. Evander Holyfield
2. Oliver McCall
3. Riddick Bowe
4. Ike Ibeabuchi
5. David Tua
6. Lennox Lewis
7. Mike Tyson
8. Michael Grant
9. Ray Mercer
10. Ross Puritty

11. Chris Byrd
12. Jesse Fergusson
13. James Douglasthere are only 5 fighters on your list that i consider a good fighter to make a top ten list,holyfield,lewis,mercer,tyson,bowe,these other guys would not be in the top 100 of the 90s:):P

frankenfrank
07-31-2010, 02:45 PM
there are only 5 fighters on your list that i consider a good fighter to make a top ten list,holyfield,lewis,mercer,tyson,bowe,these other guys would not be in the top 100 of the 90s:):P
I just love it when someone who doesn't have a top 10 list criticizes mine .

gran
07-31-2010, 03:10 PM
I just love it when someone who doesn't have a top 10 list criticizes mine .i am just giving you my opinion,i think that guys like tua,ike,grant,purrity,are basic club fighters who got a chance and got lucky with a couple of fights,these guys would not be in the top 100 in any era,the same can be said for chris, buster and fergusson:)

lightsmac
07-31-2010, 03:34 PM
1. Evander Holyfield
2. Oliver McCall
3. Riddick Bowe
4. Ike Ibeabuchi
5. David Tua
6. Lennox Lewis
7. Mike Tyson
8. Michael Grant
9. Ray Mercer
10. Ross Puritty

11. Chris Byrd
12. Jesse Fergusson
13. James Douglas

what the fk...! oliver mccall at no. 2 :)) lennox lewis is a lock for no.1 in the 90s

Obama
07-31-2010, 06:44 PM
1. Evander Holyfield
2. Oliver McCall
3. Riddick Bowe
4. Ike Ibeabuchi
5. David Tua
6. Lennox Lewis
7. Mike Tyson
8. Michael Grant
9. Ray Mercer
10. Ross Puritty

11. Chris Byrd
12. Jesse Fergusson
13. James Douglas

I notice the list is missing Michael Moorer. I have a hard time calling Grant, Puritty, or Fergusson better fighters on ANY day.

Boogieman's claim to fame is beating an awful version of Ray Mercer.

Puritty's claim to fame is KOing a gassed Wlad who dominated him prior to that.

Grant's claim to fame is being the first guy to make Andrew Golota quit after being dominated by him.

And as for Oliver McCall, while I mentioned him in my list, I couldn't rate him very high simply because he didn't even look at Lewis when he KOed him. He basically just prayed to god hoping the punch would land, and god answered his prayers.

-----------

Now to address smac, Lennox is not a lock for #1. This is who was the best on their best day, not who was the best over the entire 90s.

lightsmac
07-31-2010, 07:42 PM
on their best day(90s)

Riddick Bowe
Evander Holyfield
Lennox Lewis
Buster Douglas
Mike Tyson
Ike Ibeabuchi
David Tua
Andrew Golota
Donovan Ruddock
Michael Moorer

damn good decade, 2000s dont even compare

frankenfrank
08-01-2010, 10:02 AM
i am just giving you my opinion,i think that guys like tua,ike,grant,purrity,are basic club fighters who got a chance and got lucky with a couple of fights,these guys would not be in the top 100 in any era,the same can be said for chris, buster and fergusson:)
some education about :
Puritty : stopped Wlad (unlike Rahman) , went the distance against Rahman (unlike Sanders) and Sanders (unlike Wlad) and then a few more , was stopped by Vitali on the 11th only because of cuts (unlike Sanders) , just like almost every other one of the few stoppgae losses in his career , plus , Vitali only "stopped" him in 2001.
Puritty probably deserves a W over Tommy Morrisson , and did KO Joe Hipp and stopped Jorge Luis Gonzalez.
Puritty is far from being a clubfighter , almost every one of his stoppage losses came because of cuts , most of his losses were by decision , he was robbed of the victory against Morrisson.
His sole candidate for legitimate stoppage loss came in 1989 , again , outside of the 90s.
Jesse Fergusson : did not only beat Mercer , but outpointed James Douglas and Obed Sullivan as well . He also gave McCall and James Smith tough fights.
If you think Tua and Byrd are clubfighters , well , then you reside in a special league of posters.
Douglas had some other important wins other than Tyson.
Ibeabuchi may really be not proven enough , but not far from proven also .

frankenfrank
08-01-2010, 10:07 AM
what the fk...! oliver mccall at no. 2 :)) lennox lewis is a lock for no.1 in the 90s
Maybe you should rewatch thier first fight and consider the circumstances leading to their second , you know , like McCall signing the contract while still in a rehabilitation institute.
Lewis also lost humiliatingly to Rahman , won dirtily against Grant , ducked Byrd and won a mere decision lacking even a knockdown against Tua , and even this is only due for him being 2 tall 4 Tua and then consider the tough fights he was given by old Holyfield (fight #2) and Mercer.

frankenfrank
08-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I notice the list is missing Michael Moorer. I have a hard time calling Grant, Puritty, or Fergusson better fighters on ANY day.

Boogieman's claim to fame is beating an awful version of Ray Mercer.

Puritty's claim to fame is KOing a gassed Wlad who dominated him prior to that.

Grant's claim to fame is being the first guy to make Andrew Golota quit after being dominated by him.

And as for Oliver McCall, while I mentioned him in my list, I couldn't rate him very high simply because he didn't even look at Lewis when he KOed him. He basically just prayed to god hoping the punch would land, and god answered his prayers.

-----------

Now to address smac, Lennox is not a lock for #1. This is who was the best on their best day, not who was the best over the entire 90s.
Regarding Puritty and Fergusson , see my reply to gran.
Grant also stopped Jorge Luis Gonzalez , Corey Sanders and Alfred Cole , outpointed Lance Whitaker , Ross Puritty , Jeff Wooden and Lou Savaresse.
If anything , he had one of the thicker resumes of the decade's contenders and more than deserved his shot against Lewis which he lost the way he did because of loose refereeing.
McCall did legitimately TKO Lewis , and if Lewis was TKOd by such a blind punch , not even a sucker punch the way you described it , then maybe you should consider his ranking in your list.

frankenfrank
08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
And Wlad really did not dominate Puritty , Puritty was not knocked down , was not in serious trouble any time in the fight , did not run , did not need to hold for dear life , just stalked Wladimir or retreated measurably , until he stopped him.

Obama
08-01-2010, 01:37 PM
And Wlad really did not dominate Puritty , Puritty was not knocked down , was not in serious trouble any time in the fight , did not run , did not need to hold for dear life , just stalked Wladimir or retreated measurably , until he stopped him.

But he was still losing every round....

frankenfrank
08-02-2010, 07:40 AM
But he was still losing every round....
Only according to those who don't know how to score a 10-10 , and there are 2 many of them today , some are even judges FFS.

Obama
08-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Which rounds were even to you? I'll go back and look at them.

frankenfrank
08-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Which rounds were even to you? I'll go back and look at them.
You can see from my previous reply that there were no signs of domination of the fight by Wladimir , he may have scored a little more with his jabs due to his height and reach , but Puritty was the aggressor and was not hurt at almost any point , never in serious trouble , I never hold a rounds chart , I just think Wlad should have only been slightly ahead prior to the stoppage. Whenever in doubt , or close to it , the round should be 10-10.

Obama
08-02-2010, 07:50 AM
You can see from my previous reply that there were no signs of domination of the fight by Wladimir , he may have scored a little more with his jabs due to his height and reach , but Puritty was the aggressor and was not hurt at almost any point , never in serious trouble , I never hold a rounds chart , I just think Wlad should have only been slightly ahead prior to the stoppage. Whenever in doubt , or close to it , the round should be 10-10.

Well go back and score the fight round by round, then present it and we can compare how we see it. That's what we do in the scoring league. Makes arguments go a lot smoother.

frankenfrank
08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Well go back and score the fight round by round, then present it and we can compare how we see it. That's what we do in the scoring league. Makes arguments go a lot smoother.
Scoring 10-9 for minor lead is unjust. It negates the effect of real domination in the action rounds like knockdowns / unanswered combinations / almost knockdowns , etc.
I do not argue about Klitschko being ahead on the scorecards prior to the stoppage , just that it was not a huge lead , my way of scoring is not the common way.

gran
08-03-2010, 02:10 PM
some education about :
Puritty : stopped Wlad (unlike Rahman) , went the distance against Rahman (unlike Sanders) and Sanders (unlike Wlad) and then a few more , was stopped by Vitali on the 11th only because of cuts (unlike Sanders) , just like almost every other one of the few stoppgae losses in his career , plus , Vitali only "stopped" him in 2001.
Puritty probably deserves a W over Tommy Morrisson , and did KO Joe Hipp and stopped Jorge Luis Gonzalez.
Puritty is far from being a clubfighter , almost every one of his stoppage losses came because of cuts , most of his losses were by decision , he was robbed of the victory against Morrisson.
His sole candidate for legitimate stoppage loss came in 1989 , again , outside of the 90s.
Jesse Fergusson : did not only beat Mercer , but outpointed James Douglas and Obed Sullivan as well . He also gave McCall and James Smith tough fights.
If you think Tua and Byrd are clubfighters , well , then you reside in a special league of posters.
Douglas had some other important wins other than Tyson.
Ibeabuchi may really be not proven enough , but not far from proven also .i just think that these fighters are not top billing stars,they may have had a couple of unlucky losses by cuts or a decision here or there that went the other way,but in the long run they just do not cut it as fighters who are on a top ten list,george foreman in the 90s whips all of these guys on any given day:-*

Obama
08-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Scoring 10-9 for minor lead is unjust. It negates the effect of real domination in the action rounds like knockdowns / unanswered combinations / almost knockdowns , etc.
I do not argue about Klitschko being ahead on the scorecards prior to the stoppage , just that it was not a huge lead , my way of scoring is not the common way.

Speaking of the 10 point must system, take a look at this and tell me what you think:

http://sweetboxing.com/showthread.php?t=4424

Obama
08-03-2010, 02:12 PM
i just think that these fighters are not top billing stars,they may have had a couple of unlucky losses by cuts or a decision here or there that went the other way,but in the long run they just do not cut it as fighters who are on a top ten list,george foreman in the 90s whips all of these guys on any given day:-*

90s George whips Ike Ibeabuchi?

gran
08-03-2010, 02:19 PM
first round,with an open hand slap,george foreman was capable of beating everyone in the 90s:-*

Obama
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
first round,with an open hand slap,george foreman was capable of beating everyone in the 90s:-*

Capable of beating them, yes (due to his power alone). Likely to beat everyone or even just most of the best, no. In the 90s Foreman arguably lost to Alex Stewart, Axel Schulz, and Lou Savarese. He beat Michael Moorer but he lost every minute of every round before the KO. No one would have picked him to win a Moorer rematch.

Ike Ibebuchi is one of the better 90s Heavyweights. And he didn't exactly have a glass jaw either.

gran
08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
in the 90s foreman was the hardest puncher in the game,he could of been the best fighter of the decade,he became world champion in the decade and with all the promotions he was getting outside of the ring he just realized that he can make a lot of money without fighting,and good for him,:-*

Obama
08-03-2010, 04:35 PM
in the 90s foreman was the hardest puncher in the game,he could of been the best fighter of the decade,he became world champion in the decade and with all the promotions he was getting outside of the ring he just realized that he can make a lot of money without fighting,and good for him,:-*

=))=))=))

No trolling please.

Sweet Pea
08-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Ike Ibeabuchi
Lennox Lewis
Evander Holyfield
David Tua
Riddick Bowe
Mike Tyson
Michael Moorer
Ray Mercer
Buster Douglas
Vitali Klitscho

(not in order)

Damn, a great decade of American HWs.

frankenfrank
08-10-2010, 07:58 AM
i just think that these fighters are not top billing stars,they may have had a couple of unlucky losses by cuts or a decision here or there that went the other way,but in the long run they just do not cut it as fighters who are on a top ten list,george foreman in the 90s whips all of these guys on any given day:-*
George Foreman in the 90s does not whip Ike Ibeabuchi nor does he whip Ross Puritty , and probably not Jesse Fergusson either , these guys were much more durable than Morrisson , Briggs , Stewart , Schulz , Lou Savaresse and Crawfor Grimsley whom all survived the 90s George Foreman.