PDA

View Full Version : 80's WW's

imported_Nothingman
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was a good era for the welterweight division. It produced stars like Marlon Starling, Donald Curry, Mark Breland, Buddy McGirt(he was a jrww for most of the 80's but anyway), Aaron Davis, Milton McCrory, Simon Brown and Lloyd Honeyghan. How would you rank them and who else would you put on the top list?
I don't count Duran since he stayed in the division too shortly and only fought in 1980.

1. Hearns
2. Leonard
3. Curry
4. Starling
5. Honeyghan
6. Brown
7. Breland
8. McCrory
9. Blocker
10. Davis

Obama
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns
Donald Curry
Roberto Duran
Marlon Starling
Simon Brown
Lloyd Honeyghan
Mark Breland
Milton McCrory
Aaron Davis

Duran has more claim to being an 80s Welterweight than McGirt does.

imported_Nothingman
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns
Donald Curry
Roberto Duran
Marlon Starling
Simon Brown
Lloyd Honeyghan
Mark Breland
Buddy McGirt
Aaron Davis

Duran has more claim to being an 80s Welterweight than McGirt does.
You mean, because he won a title? It doesn't matter. He never got to REALLY prove himself in the division, just beating one of the top dogs doesn't really make it.

Obama
01-19-2010, 07:17 PM
You mean, because he won a title? It doesn't matter. He never got to REALLY prove himself in the division, just beating one of the top dogs doesn't really make it.

He had 3 welterweight fights in the 80s. He also beat Carlos Palomino in mid 1979. He's more worthy of being rated than McGirt is all I'm saying.

imported_Nothingman
01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
He had 3 welterweight fights in the 80s. He also beat Carlos Palomino in mid 1979. He's more worthy of being rated than McGirt is all I'm saying.
Oh, ok. I get your point. Yeah, but McGirt was also a terrific fighter who would go on to beat Simon Brown as a WW and a few other good welters. In the 80's he was the LWW champ. I guess I included him because he was a natural WW, more than Chavez or Whitaker for instance. He never fought below 140 and even LWW's can sometimes be classified as welterweights. Buddy actually debuted as a WW, did you know?

Obama
01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Oh, ok. I get your point. Yeah, but McGirt was also a terrific fighter who would go on to beat Simon Brown as a WW and a few other good welters. In the 80's he was the LWW champ. I guess I included him because he was a natural WW, more than Chavez or Whitaker for instance. He never fought below 140 and even LWW's can sometimes be classified as welterweights. Buddy actually debuted as a WW, did you know?

Fighters generally weigh 1 weight division above what they really are if they aren't in the title picture.

Anyways I updated my list. McGirt doesn't make the cut.

imported_Nothingman
01-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Fighters generally weigh 1 weight division above what they really are if they aren't in the title picture.

Anyways I updated my list. McGirt doesn't make the cut.
Good you at least gave McCrory place on it. I'm sure he would like it, hehe!:))

Obama
01-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Honorable Mention:

Jorge Vaca
Maurice Blocker
...and the great WBO Champion Genaro Leon =))

Sweet Pea
01-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns
Donald Curry
Marlon Starling
Simon Brown
Lloyd Honeyghan
Mark Breland
Roberto Duran
Milton McCrory
Aaron Davis

imported_Nothingman
01-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Honorable Mention:

Jorge Vaca
Maurice Blocker
...and the great WBO Champion Genaro Leon =))
What about the guy who koed Starling? Molinares, was it? What a sad, f-ed up case!

Obama
01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
What about the guy who koed Starling? Molinares, was it? What a sad, f-ed up case!

Starling was never KOed.

imported_Nothingman
01-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Starling was never KOed.
He was too! In the 6th round. But there was some fuss about punch being thrown after the bell, so Molinares got disqualified.

Obama
01-19-2010, 10:35 PM
He was too! In the 6th round. But there was some fuss about punch being thrown after the bell, so Molinares got disqualified.

Actually Molinares got the W, but it was overturned to a NC later.

imported_Nothingman
01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Actually Molinares got the W, but it was overturned to a NC later.
Yep. And then nobody got the title, right? WBA wouldn't strip Molinares, but he abandoned the title.

lightsmac
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
hearns over leonard nothingman..?? y??

mcgirt peaked early 90s w/ best performances coming against brown and whitaker I

imported_Nothingman
01-19-2010, 11:38 PM
hearns over leonard nothingman..?? y??

mcgirt peaked early 90s w/ best performances coming against brown and whitaker I
Because I think he did more at WW and was dominating Leonard before that, somewhat early, stoppage. He beat Cuevas, Leonard didn't. Also beat a better version of Benitez later on.

Violent Demise
01-20-2010, 02:28 AM
No Manning Galloway on the list? And I thought you guys knew Boxing

Obama
01-20-2010, 02:56 AM
No Manning Galloway on the list? And I thought you guys knew Boxing

Now that's an interesting career. He starts his career in the 70s, doesn't accomplish anything worth mentioning in the 80s aside from winning the vacant WBO title in December 1989..., then proceeds to defend / contest for it for the first half of the 90s, retires until 2000, and continues to fight until 2006.

.....Definitely should have made at least honorable mention. How could we over look such a thing? :))

No worries, we'll be sure to mention him when we do the 90s WWs, as that was clearly the pinnacle of his career.