PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCallum

imported_Nothingman
01-09-2010, 11:30 PM
http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/5/50/Mccallum.jpg

Mike "Bodysnatcher" McCallum

Amateur achievements:
Jamaican Welterweight representative at the 1976 Olympic Games, quarterfinal exit
1977 National Golden Gloves Welterweight champion
1978 Welterweight Gold Medalist at the Commonwealth Games
Welterweight Silver Medalist at the 1979 Pan American Games

Pro achievements:
WBA Light Middleweight Champion (1984-1987)
WBA Middleweight Champion (1989-1991)
WBC Light Heavyweight Champion (1994-1995)
Inducted into the IBHOF in 2003

Born: 7 December 1956, Kingston, Jamaica
Height: 5'11 1/2
Weight: 150-182
Reach: "78"/198 cm
Record: 49-5-1(36 KO)

Mike McCallum is possibly the best fighter ever who never achieved worldwide fame and recognition. None of the greatest fighters of the time in his divisions-Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran- would fight him and so the big money and fame eschewed him. He did however fight and defeat many other excellent fighters: Donald Curry, Julian Jackson, Sumbu Kalambay, Milton McCrory, Ayub Kalule, Steve Collins, Michael Watson, to name a few. After a rather succesful career as amateur welterweight, he turned pro in 1981, as a jr middleweight. After 16 straight victores, 15 by knockout, he met his first major opponent- the former jr. middleweight champion Ayub Kalule. McCallum dominated Kalule for 7 rounds with his mercilessly accurate body punching and Kalule retired after that. After winning 4 more fights, he got a shot at the WBA title against Sean Mannion. Bodysnatcher dropped Mannion in the third round and went on to win a wide 15-round UD, thus becoming the first Jamaican world champion!

He defended the title six times; first against Luigi Minchillo by TKO13 and David Braxton by TKO8. Then he met the 29-0 puncher Julian Jackson in an anticipated bout. Both men were undefeated and known for their punching prowess. After getting rocked in the first round, McCallum took control and stopped Jackson with a flurry in the second. Then he took on former WBC welterweight champion Milton McCrory and stopped him in the 10th round after a thrilling fight. Next came his perhaps most memorable title fight; Donald Curry was the former undisputed WW champion and many expected him to give McCallum his toughest challenge. They were proven right at first as Curry managed to buckle McCallum's knees with a powerful right in the second round. But Bodysnatcher bounced back and knocked Curry out with an incredible left hook in the fifth. It was named the knockout of the year by the Ring magazine. After that, with nothing left to prove at 154, Mike vacated the title and moved up to 160.

That would prove to be a bigger challenge however. In March '88 he fought Sumbu Kalambay for the WBA MW title, in his adopted homeland Italy, and lost a close unanimous decision. But not long after that, Kalambay was stripped of the title and McCallum got a second chance. He again fought against a home favorite in Herol Graham but this time he won on split decision and took his second world title. He defended the title against a young Steve Collins on UD and Michael Watson by KO11. He then had a rematch with Kalambay and won on SD this time. After that he chose to fight IBF champion James Toney, the new star in the division. Yet, he had to give up his title since WBA mandated Steve Collins as his challenger and McCallum refused to fight him again. McCallum himself said that he was stripped because he refused to pay $50,000 as step-aside money to Collins. He fought Toney to a draw. After losing to him in the rematch by a very close MD, he moved up to 175. There he won his third title by outpointing the Australian Jeff Harding, in July 1994. He would defend the WBC LHW title once before losing it to Frenchman Fabrice Tiozzo in a hard fought 12 rounds. By this time he was no longer in his prime. He then took on Roy Jones Jr. and lost after a brave fight on points. His last fight was his only one at cruiserweight, a rubber match with Toney. He again put on a brave performance but lost on points.

Today Mike McCallum works as a boxing trainer in Las Vegas.

Notable wins:
Donald Curry
Julian Jackson
Sumbu Kalambay
Herol Graham
Steve Collins *pre prime
Ayub Kalule
Milton McCrory
Luigi Minchillo
Jeff Harding
Michael Watson

Notable losses:
Sumbu Kalambay
James Toney II

Questionable wins:
None

Questionable losses:
James Toney I

Overall points rating:

'A' level wins:
Donald Curry, Julian Jackson, Sumbu Kalambay
'A-' level wins:
Steve Collins, Herol Graham, Michael Watson, Milton McCrory, Ayub Kalule
'B' level wins:
Said Skouma, Jeff Harding, Luigi Minchillo
'B-' level wins:
David Braxton, Sean Mannion

Points score: 6+7.5+3+1-3=17.5

Obama
01-10-2010, 04:26 AM
Steve might not have had a lot of fights when he met McCallum, but he looked as good as he ever did to me. I saw no improvements between then and the Eubank fights. He got slower actually.

Sweet Pea
01-10-2010, 11:00 AM
'A' level wins:
Donald Curry, Julian Jackson, Sumbu Kalambay
'A-' level wins:
Herol Graham, Michael Watson, Milton McCrory, Ayub Kalule, Steve Collins
'B' level wins:
Said Skouma, Jeff Harding, Luigi Minchillo
'B-' level wins:
David Braxton, Sean Mannion

Points score: 6 + 6.5 + 3 + 1 - 4 =12. 5

That would be my personal rating.

Obama
01-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't count any of his LHW losses against him either. He fell off his prime quick because he started his career at an advanced age, and was already like 35 when Toney beat him.

Sweet Pea
01-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't count any of his LHW losses against him either. He fell off his prime quick because he started his career at an advanced age, and was already like 35 when Toney beat him.

Yep. I only count MW losses to Toney and Kalamabay. He was 40 years old when Toney/Jones beat him and like 38ish when Tiozzo beat him.

McCallum was an amazing fighter though.

imported_Nothingman
01-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Yep. I only count MW losses to Toney and Kalamabay. He was 40 years old when Toney/Jones beat him and like 38ish when Tiozzo beat him.

McCallum was an amazing fighter though.
The word is PERFECT.:)

Obama
01-10-2010, 11:20 AM
You should make a thread linking to all of these career threads you're making.

Sweet Pea
01-10-2010, 11:26 AM
You should make a thread linking to all of these career threads you're making.

Funny you should say that, but for all the old-timer threads I'm going to make soon I was going to create a thread that links to all of them.

imported_Nothingman
01-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I thought he was talking to me...lol.:-??

Sweet Pea
01-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I thought he was talking to me...lol.:-??

He was. But I was just saying that I was also thinking of doing it for the old-timer threads that I create.

E-DUBB
01-11-2010, 12:22 AM
i dont consider steve collins an A or -A fighter...i know he holds 4 wins over englands best but they were both past it when he beat them...nigel benn was done and chris eubank never beat another top 10 ranked fighter after the 2 fights with collins...the only 2 elite fighters he fought that were primed were mccallum and johnson and he lost to both of them as well as dropping a fight to past his prime kalambay...

Obama
01-11-2010, 12:57 AM
i dont consider steve collins an A or -A fighter...i know he holds 4 wins over englands best but they were both past it when he beat them...nigel benn was done and chris eubank never beat another top 10 ranked fighter after the 2 fights with collins...the only 2 elite fighters he fought that were primed were mccallum and johnson and he lost to both of them as well as dropping a fight to past his prime kalambay...

Collins fans think he really beat Johnson and Kalambay. In any case, they were close fights. So was the fight with McCallum. Also, Eubank still had a lot left in the tank.

lightsmac
01-11-2010, 03:24 AM
Collins fans think he really beat Johnson and Kalambay. In any case, they were close fights. So was the fight with McCallum. Also, Eubank still had a lot left in the tank.

i've never seen Collins-Kalambay. but i've read that kalambay dominated. do u have a copy of the fight? 8->

Obama
01-11-2010, 09:18 AM
i've never seen Collins-Kalambay. but i've read that kalambay dominated. do u have a copy of the fight? 8->

I wish. :(