1990 German LHW champion
1991 European LHW champion
Record: 133-15-2(83 KO's)

Professional career:
WBO LHW champion 1994-2003
WBO CW champion 1994-95 (vacated)
WBA LHW champion 1997 (stripped)
IBF LHW champion 1997 (stripped)

Dariusz "Tiger" Michalczewski was without doubt the greatest European LHW ever. His WBO title reign in the division lasted for 9 years, during which time he made sensational 23 title defenses. Unfortunately, he could never become a major star internationally because he and the other great light heavyweight of the time, Roy Jones Jr, could not agree on fighting eachother. Both were sceptical about fighting in the other man's home turf, so the fight never happened. There was however one other great light heavyweight that would come to Germany to fight him, then-WBA and IBF titleholder Virgil Hill. Michalczewski dominated him and won a clear decision. Thus he won 2 more belts besides his old WBO belt, but his accomplishment was marred by the two governing bodies' ridiculous standards and Dariusz soon found himself stripped of both titles on ludicrous grounds. His next major fight was against former WBC champion and back then the only man who held a win over Roy Jones, Montell "Ice" Griffin. After taking it easy the first 3 rounds, "Tiger" went all out in the 4th and stopped Griffin with a barrage of punches. He later beat future and former Jones challengers, Richard Hall (twice) and Derrick Harmon, both by TKO. After the Harmon fight he took on the unheralded Julio Cesar Gonzalez, the Mexican who had gone the distance with Roy Jones previously. Gonzalez surprised everyone by handing Michalczewski his first defeat, by SD, in October 2003. Dariusz retired right after that, expressing desire to train young boxers and do more charity.

He would eventually make one comeback, in early 2005. However, it was clear to all once he stepped in the ring with the top contender and former three-time champion Fabrice Tiozzo, that this was just a shell of his old self. He took a pounding and was dropped once in the 6th round before the ref stopped the fight. A sad ending for such a brilliant career. His final record was 48 wins with 38 KO's and only 2 losses. His legacy will forever be in question due to the fact that he never fought the most acclaimed fighter in the division and thus never proved how great he was. But his record speaks for itself and he is one of the few boxers in the heavier divisions to reach a record of 48 fights without a single loss. With his 23 title defenses, he is also second in history to Joe Louis who has 25. As a fighter he possessed a superb chin, knockout power in both hands and good technique.

Notable wins:
Virgil Hill
Montell Griffin
Graciano Rocchigianix2
Nicky Piper *post prime
Derrick Harmon
Richard Hall
Christophe Girard
Leeonzer Barber

Notable losses:
Julio Cesar Gonzalez *past prime
Fabrice Tiozzo *past prime

Questionable wins:
Graciano Rocchigiani I

Questionable losses:
None

Overall points evaluation:

'A' level wins:
None
'A-' level wins:
Virgil Hill
'B' level wins:
Montell Griffin, Graciano Rocchigiani, Derrick Harmon, Richard Hall, Leeonzer Barber
'B-' level wins:
Nicky Piper, Christophe Girard

Points score: 1.5+5+1-3=4.5

imported_Ningy
01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
It's a shame he never got a lot of notable publicity. When he lost to Gonzalez, then Roy Jones Jr. ktfo of Gonzalez, I knew that Dariusz was on his way out. He was one of those fighters, that just got better, and if he could have fought more elite fighters, he definitely could have left a bigger notch in boxing.

imported_Nothingman
01-07-2010, 10:20 PM
It's a shame he never got a lot of notable publicity. When he lost to Gonzalez, then Roy Jones Jr. ktfo of Gonzalez, I knew that Dariusz was on his way out. He was one of those fighters, that just got better, and if he could have fought more elite fighters, he definitely could have left a bigger notch in boxing.
That's true. Maybe I should note that Dariusz was past prime also against Gonzalez. His mind was obviously elsewhere.

Obama
01-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Joe Calzaghe should have fought him. Sven Ottke too. There were great fights to be made on his own continent, and he still never made them.

People complain all the time about how weak Marciano's 49-0 record was, yet, it was much more impressive than DM's 48-2.

There's something about European boxers and trying to maintain pristine records...

imported_Nothingman
01-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Joe Calzaghe should have fought him. Sven Ottke too. There were great fights to be made on his own continent, and he still never made them.

People complain all the time about how weak Marciano's 49-0 record was, yet, it was much more impressive than DM's 48-2.

There's something about European boxers and trying to maintain pristine records...
Just because Ottke and Erdei are like that, doesn't mean ALL European boxers are!:rolleyes: Ottke did fight good opposition tho, he just didn't need to work too hard to win, he got one for free always.:P

Obama
01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Just because Ottke and Erdei are like that, doesn't mean ALL European boxers are!:rolleyes: Ottke did fight good opposition tho, he just didn't need to work too hard to win, he got one for free always.:P

I didn't say all, they just seem to have most of the cushy flawless (or close to) records.

Calzaghe
DM
Erdei
Ottke

3 of them carried the WBO title. 8->

imported_Ningy
01-08-2010, 06:49 AM
No offense to anyone, but Montell "Ice" Griffin needs to be thrown out of all "B" Level wins. Can't stand him as much as John Ruiz. These two boxers got to have some of the most ridiculous outlook on boxing. Montell talking trash about he was the first to beat Roy Jones Jr. Are you kidding me? John Ruiz, after being schooled by Roy Jones Jr. Has the nerve to talk about how he is not only the first Latin heavyweight champion, he is now the first two time latin heavyweight champion after Roy Jones Jr. gave up the belt to go back down in weight. Both these douches need to be taken out. I'll give you that Montel was an okay fighter, but for the sake of being politically incorrect, I hate these two bums! I am sorry if this offends anyone, but damn I can't stand these two guys.

Obama
01-08-2010, 09:36 AM
No offense to anyone, but Montell "Ice" Griffin needs to be thrown out of all "B" Level wins. Can't stand him as much as John Ruiz. These two boxers got to have some of the most ridiculous outlook on boxing. Montell talking trash about he was the first to beat Roy Jones Jr. Are you kidding me? John Ruiz, after being schooled by Roy Jones Jr. Has the nerve to talk about how he is not only the first Latin heavyweight champion, he is now the first two time latin heavyweight champion after Roy Jones Jr. gave up the belt to go back down in weight. Both these douches need to be taken out. I'll give you that Montel was an okay fighter, but for the sake of being politically incorrect, I hate these two bums! I am sorry if this offends anyone, but damn I can't stand these two guys.

He still beat Derrick Harmon 3 years after DM beat him. B seems ok to me.

Sweet Pea
01-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Griffin is an A- fighter.

imported_Nothingman
01-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Griffin is an A- fighter.
Maybe before he got destroyed by RJJ, but not when Dariusz fought him.