1994 National Golden Gloves Lhw champion
1995 World Amateur Lhw champion
Won the LHW Bronze Medal at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta

Professional achievements:
WBC LHW champion (2003, 2004)
WBA LHW champion (2004)
IBF LHW champion (2003, 2008)
IBO LHW champion (2005-2006, 2007-2008)

Antonio Tarver is considered one of the greatest LHWs in recent history, yet he is also considered as an underachiever. He won the bronze medal at the '96 Olympics, losing to Vassiliy Jirov in the semifinals. In '97 he turned pro and racked up 16 consecutive victories before losing to Eric Harding, the then unknown but dangerous contender that later gave Roy Jones one of his hardest fights. He later brutally avenged that loss by a TKO in the 5th round. In 2003 he beat the highly rated former champion Montell Griffin by a wide UD to capture the WBC and IBF light heavyweight titles. His career-defining moment came in May 2004, when he became the first man to knock out and legitimately beat the legendary Roy Jones Jr. He had previously lost his titles to Jones by a disputed majority decision after a climactic 12-round war. He defeated Jones in the rematch by UD. After losing to former middleweight king Bernard Hopkins in 2006, he came back and won the IBF title in 2008 from Clinton Woods on points. He lost it the same year to Chad Dawson.

Notable wins:
Roy Jones Jr. (x2)
Glen Johnson
Montell Griffin
Reggie Johnson
Eric Harding
Clinton Woods

Notable losses:
Eric Harding *pre-prime
Roy Jones Jr.
Bernard Hopkins
Glen Johnson
Chad Dawson (x2) *post-prime

Questionable wins:
None

Questionable losses:
Roy Jones Jr. I

Overall points evaluation:

'A' level wins:
None
'A-' level wins:
Roy Jones Jr. II, Glen Johnson
'B' level wins:
Montell Griffin, Reggie Johnson, Eric Harding, Clinton Woods, Roy Jones III
'B-' level wins:
Elvir Muriqi, Lincoln Carter, Danny Santiago

Point total: 3+5+1.5-8=1.5

Sweet Pea
12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Roy Jones, Jr. was not A level in his second fight with Jones. The first fight proved that Jones had fallen off and I think he was A- by that point. You should move Elvir Muriqi up to B level IMO.

Tarver's second win over Jones is worth half of what the first win is. If a fighter has repeat wins then the value is halved from the original win. So, assuming you move Jones down to A-, Tarver will get 2.25 for his two wins over Jones rather than the 3.

Aside from that good stuff. Tarver is becoming really underrated.. he was an A level LHW fighter who was one of the best of his era.

imported_Nothingman
12-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Roy Jones, Jr. was not A level in his second fight with Jones. The first fight proved that Jones had fallen off and I think he was A- by that point. You should move Elvir Muriqi up to B level IMO.

Tarver's second win over Jones is worth half of what the first win is. If a fighter has repeat wins then the value is halved from the original win. So, assuming you move Jones down to A-, Tarver will get 2.25 for his two wins over Jones rather than the 3.

Aside from that good stuff. Tarver is becoming really underrated.. he was an A level LHW fighter who was one of the best of his era.
Well, Jones was not at his peak perhaps, but he was still considered a p4p king and the knockout victory was impressive, you can't deny that. Even if you may call it a "lucky punch". And about Muriqi...well, he just hasn't proven himself against many class fighters enough to make the B level...yet. He definitely gave Tarver a hard fight. Reggie Johnson might actually be worth A-, but that was in his prime. Already after the Jones loss he wasn't the same, or maybe before that even.

Obama
12-08-2009, 04:14 AM
You forgot to subtract for losses, and repeat wins are worth half the value. Using what you have, it's 2 + 2.25 + 4 + 1.5 - 6.5, but that 6.5 should be 7.5 because you forgot Eric Harding. His point total is 3, and that's giving him more credit for some wins than I think he deserves.

imported_Nothingman
12-10-2009, 03:40 PM
You forgot to subtract for losses, and repeat wins are worth half the value. Using what you have, it's 2 + 2.25 + 4 + 1.5 - 6.5, but that 6.5 should be 7.5 because you forgot Eric Harding. His point total is 3, and that's giving him more credit for some wins than I think he deserves.
I didn't forget Harding, I wrote about it but I didn't think it was that notable since Harding wasn't a name when he beat Tarver. And Tarver was in the early phase of his career.

Obama
12-10-2009, 04:11 PM
I didn't forget Harding, I wrote about it but I didn't think it was that notable since Harding wasn't a name when he beat Tarver. And Tarver was in the early phase of his career.

You can give it a pre-prime loss. You can't ignore it altogether. Tarver wasn't green. Pre-prime decision losses cost 1 point. Post-prime decision losses also cost 1 point. Repeat losses, half the value.