PDA

View Full Version : Joe Lipsey Article!

Sweet Pea
11-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Lipsey lost to Hopkins on the undercard of the Tyson-Bruno II fight almost 14 years ago now. There's a recent article/interview with the former undefeated prospect who explains the reasons for his early retirement and loss to Bernard Hopkins.

Joe Lipsey looks like he could still step into the ring today.It's hard to believe his fight against Bernard Hopkinshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091126/SPORTS/911260328/1019/SPORTS#) for the IBF middleweight title was almost 14 years ago. Hopkins knocked him out in the fourth round on March 16, 1996, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Today, he works at the Board of Water of Light.
He's been there for 10 years. His son is a freshman at Michigan. His daughter is 13.
Talking to Joe is like talking to a boxinghttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091126/SPORTS/911260328/1019/SPORTS#) how-to manual with personality. But it goes beyond that.
Here's a guy that was almost on top of the world, only to have it ripped away from him.
The former Lansing boxer was bitter for a while, he says.
He developed exercise-induced asthma (http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091126/SPORTS/911260328/1019/SPORTS#), a condition which left him short of breath during the Hopkins fight.
He said at the time, he was mad at everyone, including God, for the affliction.
"I remember thinking to myself, this guy (Hopkins) is pretty much a loser, in the sense of the way he acts and I felt I was a better person, a better fighter, I had more to offer," Lipsey recalled. "And at that moment, I said it in my mind I said 'to the death' because I was so angry about what was happening with me.
"I just wanted to land one before he landed a big one on me.
"And what's weird was about seven years later, I was visiting with my parents ... and we're talking, and we brought it up, and (my father) said 'you had death in your eyes.'
"I just thought that was pretty amazing that parents know their children, they knew the look."
Sharing wisdom

Now he is the parent.
His son ran track at Sexton. His daughter plays basketballhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091126/SPORTS/911260328/1019/SPORTS#).
"Even my son, I never asked him to box," he said. "Whatever sport makes them happy, I supported it. I also wanted them to try, don't quit (http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091126/SPORTS/911260328/1019/SPORTS#) because it's hard or tough.
"A lot of times, sports represents life. I tell my kids, you always have coaches saying 'sports builds character.' No, it reveals character first. What are you going to do when you lose? Are you going to cheat? Are you going to trip someone? Are you going to bite? Are you going to scold someone out? Or are you going to try harder?"

And there, he talked like a coach.I'm sensing a pattern here.
Lipsey said that he'll soon have more time on his hands, and hinted at volunteering again at some of the area gyms around town.
Joe said he doesn't watch much boxing any more, but I'm not sure I believe him.
And here's where the how-to manual comes in. And it's not just the basic stuff, either.
"The right-handed boxer drops his left hand to his thigh. It looks like he can be hit. But the idea is, it's an illusion. It looks like you can hit me, I'm just an inch away from being hit. But then I slip to the side, it's a set-up," Lipsey explained.
"But now, you see fighters out there with their hands down and they're just getting popped in the head. They're just getting hit.
"They emulate, but they don't understand the philosophies behind what the legendary fighters and coaches and trainer taught. There was theory behind it.
... So I think a lot of people are copying what they see, but they don't know why they are doing what they see."
It was like talking to Aristotle - not that I speak Greek, but like talking to a philosopher anyway.
Lessons learned

He talked of ego.
"I remember my first fight ... and I ran across hundreds of people who were like, 'we're coming, we're coming' and this and that and I'm thinking OK, are these people gonna be there?" Lipsey said. "And I wait until it's my turn to come out and I see the crowd and it's like disappointing.
"And my mom was like, 'Don't you dare sit there and act like that, these people take their time out, some of these people have a really tight budget and they're saving money to come out and watch you fight. I don't care if there's two people out there, you fight, you do your best, and you shake their hands when you're done.'
"And when she said that, it was like someone making a statement that was a defining moment."
And when we were talking about coaches and coaching techniques, he spoke of priorities.
"At some of these clubs, they would fuss at these kids about coming in late," he said. "They never checked on them about their homework, they're not concerned about their home life outside of the gym.

"They come in there and maybe they're in a bad situation - dad's drunk and hitting on his mom, or cussing at him, or whatever. This is his outlet and now you're fussing at him. It drives him away. Basically, you're changing his life.

kokorikos
12-11-2011, 07:09 PM
He seems like a very interesting guy!

imported_Nothingman
12-11-2011, 07:34 PM
He was right in one thing for sure, Hopkins was always a loser alrite!:lol:

Sweet Pea
12-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Still hateful of Hopkins I see. Shameful, you should really let that bitterness and hatred go.

imported_Nothingman
12-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Still hateful of Hopkins I see. Shameful, you should really let that bitterness and hatred go.
There is no bitterness, only hatred.:biggrin1: And its got its reasons.

ecto55
12-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Nice article- I haven' thought about Lipsey since whenever I downloaded and watched his Bernard Hopkins fight. Not sure why he's bitter towards Bernard, I still remember the peach of a counter right uppercut Hopkins landed, if memory serves me right it was thrown under Lipsey's left cross- might have been one Hopkin's cleanest and most definitive kayo's.

I have an article in a rag about Lipsey, he was I think still an undefeated contender- mostly he and his manager were bitching about their amatuer days and being robbed of decisions they felt they should have earned- at least I recall that because I am frustrating familiar with that kind of incomprehension of the rules and aims of am/boxing. If I had a dollar for every amatuer who fights like a pro and then complains when they don't get the win despite landing the harder shots!

But Lipsey was meant to have a good amatuer KO record, and that held up in the pro's. Aggressive powerpunching lefties aren't my idea of fun, its a shame Lipsey drew Hopkins when there were flakes like Keith Holmes about- Lipsey could have been a real factor into the late 90's.

imported_Nothingman
12-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Nice article- I haven' thought about Lipsey since whenever I downloaded and watched his Bernard Hopkins fight. Not sure why he's bitter towards Bernard, I still remember the peach of a counter right uppercut Hopkins landed, if memory serves me right it was thrown under Lipsey's left cross- might have been one Hopkin's cleanest and most definitive kayo's.

I have an article in a rag about Lipsey, he was I think still an undefeated contender- mostly he and his manager were bitching about their amatuer days and being robbed of decisions they felt they should have earned- at least I recall that because I am frustrating familiar with that kind of incomprehension of the rules and aims of am/boxing. If I had a dollar for every amatuer who fights like a pro and then complains when they don't get the win despite landing the harder shots!

But Lipsey was meant to have a good amatuer KO record, and that held up in the pro's. Aggressive powerpunching lefties aren't my idea of fun, its a shame Lipsey drew Hopkins when there were flakes like Keith Holmes about- Lipsey could have been a real factor into the late 90's.
OH SHUT YOUR FACE!:mad: Hehe, just kidding.:lol: