PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Scottish fighters?

imported_Nothingman
11-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Who would make your list? This is all I got so far:
Ken Buchanan
Benny Lynch
Jim Watt
Murray Sutherland

Obama
11-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Ring Magazine (Sept 1994)

The All time Top 10 of Scotland (by Brian Doogan)

Benny Lynch
Ken Buchanan
Jackie Patterson
Walter McGowan
Johnny Hill
Peter Keenan
James Hall
Tancy Lee
Tommy Milligan
Jim Watt

scotsirishwithswagga
11-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Ring Magazine (Sept 1994)

The All time Top 10 of Scotland (by Brian Doogan)

Benny Lynch
Ken Buchanan
Jackie Patterson
Walter McGowan
Johnny Hill
Peter Keenan
James Hall
Tancy Lee
Tommy Milligan
Jim Watt

I will agree that benny lynch is our greatest but most of these guys i've never heard of.

I actually live not too far from where benny grew up, in fact it's recently been redeveloped and tons of the streets are named after benny lynch i.e benny lynch street, benny lynch place, benny lynch road etc. i did the electrics in a few of the houses thought that was pretty cool.

so how come this is a topic? few of you guys scots too?

imported_Nothingman
11-11-2009, 11:32 AM
I will agree that benny lynch is our greatest but most of these guys i've never heard of.

I actually live not too far from where benny grew up, in fact it's recently been redeveloped and tons of the streets are named after benny lynch i.e benny lynch street, benny lynch place, benny lynch road etc. i did the electrics in a few of the houses thought that was pretty cool.

so how come this is a topic? few of you guys scots too?
Yea, I'm 1/64 Scottish.:D Just kidding. I was just wondering. There have been more famous Irish fighters than Scottish, so I wondered why and how many great Scottish fighters there has been.

scotsirishwithswagga
11-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Dunno why that would be? probably the paddies are more marketable in the states with the massive irish diaspora over there.

Scott Harrison was our last big boxer, i used to worship the guy but as i grew older you would see him in nightclubs acting like the big boss and it all went to his head. He's had plenty of problems over the last 4/5 years and is currently in a spanish prison :(

Man i can't believe that when he won the belt there was talk of him going on to fight pac and JMM n the press over here, the guys career could have went so differently :(

CHARLIET
06-04-2010, 10:02 PM
I see Peter Keenan makes the list-BRITISH,BRITISH EMPIRE & EUROPEAN champion at one time or another and WORLD BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE challenger.
Most Scots are probably unaware of Murray Sutherlands roots. He never fought professionally in the UK never mind Scotland. First 2 fights in Canada the rest in the U.S.A. Fought a lot of good fighters though including HEARNS twice and managed to be,briefly, a (part) world champion. Edinburghers will be glad to know they had 2 world champs,not just Buchanan.