PDA

View Full Version : Why The Hell Isn't Gilberto Roman A HOFFA?

mickey malone
10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
How come this little Mexican warrior isn't in The Hall Of Fame?

Two time sup/fly champ
13-3-1 in title fights
Never KTFO
35 KO's

Beaten 2 weight champ, Sugar Baby Rojas (twice), Frank Cedeno, Kiyishi Hatanaka
Israel Contreras, Paul Ferreri and Jorge Ramirez..

I've been watching some of his fights..
Back in those days, I didn't pay much attention to the smaller weights, but after viewing this guy, I wish that I had.. Terrific straight puncher with a vicious right uppercut..
He was only ever stopped twice, once on cuts and a retirement against Sung Kil Moon when he was way past prime..

I hear Sven Ottke's been nominated as a potential inductee for this year.. Please God! Don't let this happen!

Obama
10-21-2009, 12:05 AM
I don't think Ring Magazine recognized the Super Flyweight division until 1989, the last year Roman was Champion.

That MAY have something to do with it. You'd have to read soup titles ratings to "properly" study his career.....

mickey malone
10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't think Ring Magazine recognized the Super Flyweight division until 1989, the last year Roman was Champion.

That MAY have something to do with it. You'd have to read soup titles ratings to "properly" study his career.....
I suppose that makes sense, because Khaosai Galaxy, the dominant WBA Super fly champ, retired in 1991 and HAS been inducted.. Roman was WBC champ during the same era..
When comparing quality of opponents, I'd say Roman has the better resume, but Galaxy has immaculate statistics of 20-0-0 in world title fights.. Shame they never had a unification match..