PDA

View Full Version : Did Marciano and Jeffries retire too early?

Obama
10-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Did Rocky Marciano and Jim Jeffries retire too early (hurting their ATG rating), or did they maximize their potential? (ie, if they stuck around they would have lost and caused themselves to rate lower than they do now)

I'd say they maximized it, especially in Marciano's case.

Jeffries I could see beating the same crop of Heavyweights Johnson did, more or less, but he loses to Johnson and would end up right where he is now in most people's ratings. Although, I'd actually rate him higher for proving himself more, as losing to Johnson really is nothing to be ashamed of.

Marciano on the other hand is in serious trouble. If he sticks around for Patterson, Liston, Folley, Machen, and Ingy, he only beats Patterson and maybe Ingy. Everyone who does rate Marciano in the top 5, would have to stop rating him in the top 5.

Sweet Pea
10-08-2009, 07:50 AM
I heard Marciano had back problems, so perhaps his retirement was justified. Although his retirement did coincide with the eventul rise of the likes of Patterson & Liston, I still think he had a legit retirement.

As for Jeffries, he did retire on top but his retirement wasn't just a coincidence - Jack Johnson was on the rise and people wanted to see the fight. He retired because he knew he never had a chance of beating Johnson. Make no mistake about it, the fight would have been a lot closer then when an over the hill Jeffries fought. But Johnson still wins and he wins by stopping him again.

Obama
10-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I concur on Jeffries. People think he has a chance because he lasted 15 rounds with Johnson after being inactive for 6 years and blowing up to over 300 lbs. Had they seen the fight or watched documentaries they would realize it only last 15 because Johnson was taunting him round after round and prolonging the agony. Johnson beat a faded Jeffries, but he didn't even have to try. This is key in predicting a prime vs prime scenario. Johnson did that with every top White contender in his prime, save the great Jack O'Brien, who's style made it virtually impossible.