PDA

View Full Version : Toughest fighter of all?

Swami
08-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Who's the toughest fighter in boxing history? When I mean tough I mean he could take it and dish it out, had a great heart and wasn't afraid to fight any man.

Briscoe is my choice.

Obama
08-31-2009, 08:41 PM
I nominate Emanuel Augustus for honorable mention. And for official consideration, recently departed Arturo Thunder Gatti. Speaking of Gatti, Matthew Saad Muhammad was a lot like Gatti. He'd get the shit kicked out of him, then somehow comeback and score the KO.

Some old school guys:

Carmen Basilio
Sam Langford
Barbados Demon Joe Walcott

buko
09-28-2009, 10:40 PM
During the Taylor-JCC transmission, someone (think it was Merchant) said that Angelo Dundee told him that JCC was the toughest fighter he has ever seen.

Swami
10-01-2009, 07:04 AM
JCC was as tough as anybody in his era.

gran
10-01-2009, 01:40 PM
that is a good question but the answer is hard,but one guy that comes to mind is probably #1 on this topic and that would be evander holyfield:)

Swami
10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Holyfield was tough. They said he was to small to be a Heavyweight but he proved everybody wrong and went onto become an ATG fighter in two weight classes.

gran
10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
swami good point, he may be the only fighter to be an atg in two different weightclasses,:)

Obama
10-02-2009, 04:10 AM
swami good point, he may be the only fighter to be an atg in two different weightclasses,:)

Wow.......=))

Welshy
10-02-2009, 02:10 PM

:))

The name Sugar Ray Robinson doesn't ring a bell with you then?

gran
10-02-2009, 06:14 PM
sure it rings a bell,i am a boxing expert,i follow all eras and all fighters and rate them accordingly :))

mickey malone
10-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Harry Greb has to be the toughest fighter of all time..

Others would include

Battling Nelson
George Chuvalo
Jeff Harding
Vinny Pazienza
Rocky Marciano
Jake LaMotta
Sammy Angott
Pete Herman
Joe Lynch
Teddy Yarosz
Billy Graham
Jim Jeffries
Carlos Monzon
Evander Holyfield

All very tough fighters..

Obama
10-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Harry Greb has to be the toughest fighter of all time..

Others would include

Battling Nelson
George Chuvalo
Jeff Harding
Vinny Pazienza
Rocky Marciano
Jake LaMotta
Sammy Angott
Pete Herman
Joe Lynch
Teddy Yarosz
Billy Graham
Jim Jeffries
Carlos Monzon
Evander Holyfield

All very tough fighters..

Nice list, I knew Battling Nelson would be mentioned when I saw you posted in this thread. Guy had some sick long fights.

For that matter Joe Jeannette has to be mentioned, considering of all the fighters who went ~50+ rounds, he did it against the best fighter, Sam McVea. And McVea was a KO artist who decked him 27 times.

Documentary on that fight in this thread:

http://www.sweetboxing.com/showthread.php?t=837

mickey malone
10-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Nice list, I knew Battling Nelson would be mentioned when I saw you posted in this thread. Guy had some sick long fights.

For that matter Joe Jeannette has to be mentioned, considering of all the fighters who went ~50+ rounds, he did it against the best fighter, Sam McVea. And McVea was a KO artist who decked him 27 times.

Documentary on that fight in this thread:

http://www.sweetboxing.com/showthread.php?t=837
Yeah, there's quite a few from that era,

Sam Langford, Harry Wills, Tom Jackson, Jim Flynn to mention a few.. Nice site, by the way!

Obama
10-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah, there's quite a few from that era,

Sam Langford, Harry Wills, Tom Jackson, Jim Flynn to mention a few.. Nice site, by the way!

Thanks man. Feel free to tell people about it. [-O<