PDA

View Full Version : pipino cuevas and roberto duran both overrated

gran
08-27-2009, 04:39 PM
pipino cuevas bought his way to the title,after watching his fights i do not know how he was a champ,he was slow,he had lousy footwork and lacked power,when he fought thomas hearns,hearns hit him with a right and cuevas got wobbled,it looked like he just drank a bottle of tequila,then he got hit with the second right and he went down like a ton of bricks landing right on his jaw,he got up at the count of nine looking like he just got out of bed,then the ref was going to allow this to go on,but cueavas corner man ran in and stopped the fight,this fight was probably the most un equal fight in the history of the game,with the hearns, duran fight coming in at second,duran did not even hit hearns once above the shoulders,and when hearns landed that right duran went down like a tree,only to be awaken with an abundance of smelling salts,both cuevas and duran got inilated and yet proffess they were not even stund,this is a blow to boxing when the commision sanctions these one sided fiascos:)

Obama
08-27-2009, 05:39 PM
pipino cuevas bought his way to the title,after watching his fights i do not know how he was a champ,he was slow,he had lousy footwork and lacked power,when he fought thomas hearns,hearns hit him with a right and cuevas got wobbled,it looked like he just drank a bottle of tequila,then he got hit with the second right and he went down like a ton of bricks landing right on his jaw,he got up at the count of nine looking like he just got out of bed,then the ref was going to allow this to go on,but cueavas corner man ran in and stopped the fight,this fight was probably the most un equal fight in the history of the game,with the hearns, duran fight coming in at second,duran did not even hit hearns once above the shoulders,and when hearns landed that right duran went down like a tree,only to be awaken with an abundance of smelling salts,both cuevas and duran got inilated and yet proffess they were not even stund,this is a blow to boxing when the commision sanctions these one sided fiascos:)

1) Evidence?

2) In 2003 Ring Magazine rated Cuevas the 31st greatest puncher of all time. He was also notorious for breaking people's bones. Of his 35 wins, 31 came by KO.

Also, both Cuevas and Duran were past their prime when they met Hearns.

And I don't think his footwork was bad, just slow. What he had going for him was his relentlessness. From what I've seen, if he had a man in trouble, he finished him off. His punches are wild like Earnie Shavers, but he had better stamina and a better jaw than Shavers. This made him and elite fighter.

LUELEcCSXE4

gran
08-27-2009, 10:27 PM
you do not know boxing i was right,what are you talking about ,cuevas got clobbered and duran got chopped down,you are not informed or are you boxing know how,so get lost :)

Obama
08-27-2009, 11:29 PM
you do not know boxing i was right,what are you talking about ,cuevas got clobbered and duran got chopped down,you are not informed or are you boxing know how,so get lost :)

Please cite for me names of historians or organizations that share your views on Cuevas and Duran. Post articles. Show evidence.

Also, what makes you think a smiley face at the end of "get lost" is appropriate?

Don't get defensive just because you can't back up anything you've said.

I'll ask again, what evidence is there that Cuevas "bought his way" to the title? What was not legitimate about his reign as champion?

gran
08-28-2009, 12:23 AM
what i post at the end is my choice,you stand there in that pose and you do not fully understand the game.along with all time great you two are both out of it and if one day you decide to get into a debate i will gladly take the two of you on,let me know,i posted nicky:) furlano vs aaron pryor and the two of you seem like you were kayoed give us your results for you are out numbered

Obama
08-28-2009, 01:15 AM
what i post at the end is my choice,you stand there in that pose and you do not fully understand the game.along with all time great you two are both out of it and if one day you decide to get into a debate i will gladly take the two of you on,let me know,i posted nicky:) furlano vs aaron pryor and the two of you seem like you were kayoed give us your results for you are out numbered

If you keep this nonsense up, people will just ignore you altogether eventually.

gran
09-08-2009, 09:15 PM
i think cuevas and duran are not that great they were good but not great,the fights they had against hearns tell the tale about their chins,cuevas got hit with that right and started the lambada he looked drunker than a skunk,then when he got hit with the second right he hit the canvas so hard his face was indented in it when he got up at the nine count he looked like he had been asleep for a week,then duran was trying to smile off hearns shots but when he got hit with that right it looked like he got hit by a bolt of lightning he hit the canvas the same way a tree goes down arter being chopped down:)

Obama
09-08-2009, 11:11 PM
i think cuevas and duran are not that great they were good but not great,the fights they had against hearns tell the tale about their chins,cuevas got hit with that right and started the lambada he looked drunker than a skunk,then when he got hit with the second right he hit the canvas so hard his face was indented in it when he got up at the nine count he looked like he had been asleep for a week,then duran was trying to smile off hearns shots but when he got hit with that right it looked like he got hit by a bolt of lightning he hit the canvas the same way a tree goes down arter being chopped down:)

You really need to take into account a few things:

1) The fact that Hearns is one of the greatest punchers of all time
2) The fact that Hearns was faster, taller, and rangier than Cuevas and Duran
3) The fact that Cuevas and Duran were already past their prime

These factors made it a hell of a lot easier for Hearns to KO them.

gran
09-09-2009, 02:49 PM
cuevas was in his early twenties and duran was in his eary thirties,still in their prime,hearns just clobbered the two of them in perhaps the two most brutal knockouts in boxing history,hearns was just so much better.:)

Obama
09-09-2009, 03:07 PM
cuevas was in his early twenties and duran was in his eary thirties,still in their prime,hearns just clobbered the two of them in perhaps the two most brutal knockouts in boxing history,hearns was just so much better.:)

Prime and age are not the same thing. A guy can be 23 and washed up, not saying Cuevas was, he just wasn't prime. A year after losing to Hearns, Cuevas would lose to Roger Stafford in the upset of the year. As for Duran, the man's prime ended after the first Leonard fight. He just didn't train properly anymore. He already cemented his legacy, so the days of ballooning up to over 200 lbs became a frequent affair.

gran
09-09-2009, 03:55 PM
you make some good points,but cuevas was not a good fighter,and duran was not any better,they just got over hyped by the communites or their respected country men,a good fighter always responds well when getting hit with a good punch,against hearns these guys were just out of it,it was brutal,:D

buko
09-19-2009, 12:51 AM
you make some good points,but cuevas was not a good fighter,and duran was not any better,they just got over hyped by the communites or their respected country men,a good fighter always responds well when getting hit with a good punch,against hearns these guys were just out of it,it was brutal,:D

Both Duran and Cuevas are great fighters, no doubt about it. Also, Pipino was a pro since he was like 13, so when he was 23 he had been fighting professional for 10 years, that and his fighting style might have something to do with the fact that Cuevas was past his prime at a very young age.

Pipino Jr. is a different story, he is really bad, has anyone seen him fight??

Obama
09-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Both Duran and Cuevas are great fighters, no doubt about it. Also, Pipino was a pro since he was like 13, so when he was 23 he had been fighting professional for 10 years, that and his fighting style might have something to do with the fact that Cuevas was past his prime at a very young age.

Pipino Jr. is a different story, he is really bad, has anyone seen him fight??

Nah....but I don't like watching sons fighting if they disgrace their father. I won't even watch Chavez Jr.

buko
09-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Nah....but I don't like watching sons fighting if they disgrace their father. I won't even watch Chavez Jr.

I just saw it cause he was in the mexican version of the contender, it started last weekend and Cuevas Jr. was out on the first fight.