PDA

View Full Version : How many degrees of separation does it take you to connect Corbett to a Modern HW?

Obama
08-25-2009, 07:36 PM
10: Degrees of separation from Corbett to Holyfield

Posted Aug. 24, 2009 at 12:51am
By Michael Rosenthal

Buzz up! (http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?targetUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ringtv.com%2Fblog% 2F1021%2F10_degrees_of_separation_from_corbett_to_ holyfield%2F) http://s7.addthis.com/button1-addthis.gif (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php)

A weekly boxing list compiled by Michael Rosenthal. This week: 10 degrees of separation between active fighter Evander Holyfield and James J. Corbett, who won the heavyweight crown in 1892. If you can do it in fewer steps, please let me know. Also, let’s see who can go back in time the farthest connecting a current fighter with a past fighter in 10 steps or fewer.

James J. Corbett fought Jim Jeffries
Jeffries fought Jack Johnson
Johnson fought Jess Willard
Willard fought Jack Dempsey
Dempsey fought Jack Sharkey
Sharkey fought Joe Louis
Louis fought Rocky Marciano
Marciano fought Archie Moore
Moore fought Muhammad Ali
Ali fought Larry Holmes
Holmes fought Evander Holyfield

Note: Jeffries-Johnson represents the first degree of separation

Reader Chris Richards has already blown me away. He has connected Jim Jeffries (won title in 1899) to current titleholder Wladimir Klitschko in 10 degrees of separation. So, with his help, I adjusted my list from connecting Marvin Hart to Holyfield to connecting Corbett with Holyfield. His list:

Jim Jeffries fought Jack Johnson
Johnson fought Jess Willard
Willard fought Jack Dempsey
Dempsey fought Jack Sharkey
Sharkey fought Joe Louis
Louis fought Rocky Marciano
Marciano fought Archie Moore
Archie Moore fought Muhammad Ali
Ali fought Larry Holmes
Holmes fought Ray Mercer
Mercer fought Wladimir Klitschko

Source: http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1021/10_degrees_of_separation_from_corbett_to_holyfield/

I'm going to think about this one for a while.

Obama
08-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Here's a list no one will come up with:

Jack Johnson fought Sam Langford
Sam Langford fought Harry Wills
Harry Wills fought Paulino Uzcudun
Paulino Uzcudun fought Joe Louis
Joe Louis fought Ezzard Charles
Ezzard Charles fought Archie Moore
Muhammad Ali fought Trevor Berbick
Trevor Berbick fought Hasim Rahman

10 degrees of Separation

Sweet Pea
08-26-2009, 07:38 AM
I used to do this all the time. Obama I have a challenge to you: connect a British Lightweight champion for a Heavyweight champion of the world.

Obama
08-26-2009, 11:23 AM
I used to do this all the time. Obama I have a challenge to you: connect a British Lightweight champion for a Heavyweight champion of the world.

Not exactly the topic of the thread...but I'll consider it if you make a list for this thread.

Swami
08-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Jack Johnson fought Brad Simmons
Brad Simmons fought Max Baer
Max Baer fought Joe Louis

9 degrees of seperation.

Obama
08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Brad Simmons fought Max Baer
Max Baer fought Joe Louis

9 degrees of seperation.

Just checked boxrec for Simmons, says he fought Johnson but not Baer.

Improvised list:

Brad Simmons fought Tiger Jack Fox
Tiger Jack Fox fought Jersey Joe Walcott
Jersey Joe Walcott fought Ezzard Charles

9 degrees of Separation

Swami
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I mixed it up as I had many boxrec tabs open. I've worked out Sweet Pea's one though..

Ken Buchanan > Roberto Duran > Iran Barkley > Trevor Berbick

Set a new task Obama as I enjoy these.

gran
08-26-2009, 04:52 PM
yes ten degree of seperation but also luck,corbett did not have burns speed and foot work,and in saying that corbett would not last 1 full round against holyfield:)

Obama
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
yes ten degree of seperation but also luck,corbett did not have burns speed and foot work,and in saying that corbett would not last 1 full round against holyfield:)

Corbett and Burns fought in completely different eras. Corbett was also naturally bigger than Burns. I'd have to rate Corbett over Burns as a Heavyweight. He'd trouble Burns in the same way O'Brien did, but he'd win 9 times out of 10 based on the extra strength O'Brien didn't have. O'Brien went 1-1-1 with Burns.

I would also pick Holyfield to beat Corbett, but I don't know about 1 round.

I mixed it up as I had many boxrec tabs open. I've worked out Sweet Pea's one though..

Ken Buchanan > Roberto Duran > Iran Barkley > Trevor Berbick

Set a new task Obama as I enjoy these.

Haha, sure thing man.

gran
08-26-2009, 10:27 PM
it does not what era they fight at i have made some good points on burns beating wlad and would easily be a champion today,like i said before is lightning speed[ala ali]and fancy foot work[ala ali]would easily make him a champion,corbett would of been out matched from the get go:)

Obama
08-26-2009, 10:31 PM
it does not what era they fight at i have made some good points on burns beating wlad and would easily be a champion today,like i said before is lightning speed[ala ali]and fancy foot work[ala ali]would easily make him a champion,corbett would of been out matched from the get go:)

Please stop talking about Burns in threads that do not concern him.

gran
08-26-2009, 10:46 PM
this is a boxing forum and burns is a ex boxer,when i discuss a boxer with whom i want to compare i will use not only burns but i will use whom ever i choose to in a polite,smart,elite and,knowledgeable manner:)

Obama
08-26-2009, 10:53 PM
this is a boxing forum and burns is a ex boxer,when i discuss a boxer with whom i want to compare i will use not only burns but i will use whom ever i choose to in a polite,smart,elite and,knowledgeable manner:)

The topic of the thread is connect Corbett to a modern HW. Either discuss how one might do this, or don't post. Simple as that. If you want to make a list connecting Corbett to Burns to George Chuvalo to someone we have today, so be it. Just stick to the topic at hand. This isn't about "who was better".

gran
08-26-2009, 10:56 PM
every one has the right to their opinion,and any time you want to discuss boxing about any fighters and:) any era bring it on

Obama
08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
every one has the right to their opinion,and any time you want to discuss boxing about any fighters and:) any era bring it on

Discuss it in threads where it's appropriate. That's all I'm saying. This is not one.