PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Duran

Obama
08-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Next on the list (http://www.sweetboxing.com/showthread.php?t=614)... Roberto Duran:

http://www.superstarsofboxing.co.uk/USERIMAGES/duran1.jpg

Manos de Piedre, aka Hands of Stone, is considered by many to be one of the 10 greatest fighters of all time. Like Sugar Ray Robinson, arguably the greatest of them all, he was a well known force from Lightweight to Middleweight. What may fly under the radar however is that as a Featherweight, nearly 19 years old at the time, Duran beat future Featherweight Champion Ernesto Marcel. By the time Duran reached age 20 he was a full fledged Lightweight and his reign of terror over the division would begin, lasting nearly 7 years.

Duran, like Robinson once again, beat every Lightweight he ever fought. Unlike Robinson however, he was actually given a shot at a title. Duran was successful in all 13 Lightweight Championship bouts he had, unifying the WBC and WBA titles on his last outing. The only fight he lost as a Lightweight was a non-title bout against Esteban de Jesus, a man he would go on to knock out in both rematches, the final being for the Undisputed Championship. Of the 13 title bouts he had, he scored knock outs in all but 1. Most notable among the men knocked out was hall of famer Ken Buchanan, which was oddly enough Duran's very first title fight.

Aside from also winning titles at Welterweight and Middleweight, the comparisons with Robinson now come to an end. After winning the WBC Welterweight title from the great Sugar Ray Leonard in 1980, Duran never beat an elite fighter again. His commitment to boxing plummeted and his skills diminished. Duran went into the second Leonard bout with a record of 72 wins, 1 loss, and no draws. He'd later retire as a 50 year old with an overall record of 103-16-0, 20 years past his prime. Amazingly, Duran remained a game fighter all the way up to age 46, proving he still had something left when he defeated Jorge Fernando Castro in 1997. Nonetheless, Duran's 2 best wins post-Leonard came in his 30s against Davey Moore in 1983 and Iran Barkley in 1989 for the WBA Light Middleweight and WBC Middleweight titles respectively.

When his career was all said and done, Duran had beaten the following hall of famers:
Ken Buchanan [Definitely prime]
Carlos Palomino [Arguably prime]
Sugar Ray Leonard [Definitely prime]
Pipino Cuevas [Over the hill]

Some articles on Duran:
http://coxscorner.tripod.com/duran.html
http://boxingbiographies.com/bio/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=27

A whole website devoted to Duran:
http://www.cmgww.com/sports/duran/

Cyber Boxing Zone had the following to say:

Duran was one of the best lightweight fighters of all-time; He was also one of the best pound-for-pound battlers ever; He was an aggressive, hard hitter who came to fight; He tangled with anyone who was willing, regardless of size; This was proven time and time again (through the years) as he moved upward in the weight classes.

During his career, Roberto defeated such men as "Sugar" Ray Leonard, Carlos Palomino, Jose "Pipino" Cuevas, Iran Barkley, Davey Moore, Esteban DeJesus, Hiroshi Kobayashi, Ken Buchanan, Saoul Mamby and Edwin Viruet.

Herb Goldman ranked Duran as the #3 All-Time Lightweight

On October 14, 2006, Duran was inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame in Riverside, California, and on June 10, 2007, into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, New York.

Obama
08-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Highlight Video #1:
aSg5UnX5xFs

Visit the Roberto Duran Career Thread Here (http://sweetboxing.com/showthread.php?t=2226)

imported_Nothingman
06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.markoelgart.com/MarKO%20Boxing/roberto_duran.jpg

Roberto "Manos de Piedra" Duran
WBC LW champion
WBA LW champion
Undisputed LW champion
The Ring Magazine LW champion
WBC WW champion
The Ring Magazine WW champion
WBA LMW champion
WBC MW champion

Record: 103(70)-16-0

Named the greatest lightweight of the century by The Associated Press in 1999
Named the Ring Magazine Comeback Fighter of the Year 1983 and 1989
Inducted into the IBHOF in 2007

Notable wins:
Ernesto Marcel
Hiroshi Kobayashi
Ken Buchanan
Hector Thompson
Guts Ishimatsu
Esteban de Jesus x2
Ray Lampkin
Edwin Viruet x2
Saoul Mamby <pre-prime>
Vilomar Fernandez
Carlos Palomino <post-prime>
Sugar Ray Leonard <undefeated>
Luigi Minchillo
Pipino Cuevas <over the hill>
Davey Moore
Iran Barkley
Jorge Fernando Castro

Notable losses:
Esteban De Jesus I
Ray Leonard <Duran post-prime>
Wilfred Benitez <Duran post-prime>
Kirkland Laing <Duran post-prime>
Marvin Hagler <Duran post-prime>
Thomas Hearns <Duran post-prime>
Robbie Sims <Duran post-prime>

Questionable wins:
Ken Buchanan <numerous low blows>
Ray Leonard I
Iran Barkley

Questionable losses:
Robbie Sims
Hector Camacho I
Jorge Fernando Castro I

A level wins:
Ken Buchanan, Esteban De Jesus (x2), Sugar Ray Leonard
A- level wins:
Ernesto Marcel, Carlos Palomino, Davey Moore, Iran Barkley
B level wins:
Hiroshi Kobayashi, Guts Ishimatsu, Pipino Cuevas, Edwin Viruet (x2), Vilomar Fernandez, Jorge F. Castro
B- level wins:
Hector Thompson, Ray Lampkin, Saoul Mamby, Luigi Minchillo

Points score: 7 + 6 + 6.5 + 2 - 9 = 12.5
(Counted TKO loss to Leonard as a decision loss)

Obama
06-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Resume modified, given official Obama Seal of Approval. Will check if there's anyone else missing.

Violent Demise
06-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Why isn't his "loss" to Kirkland Laing listed under questionable? And why is his win over Leonard listed questionable?

Sweet Pea
06-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Why isn't his "loss" to Kirkland Laing listed under questionable? And why is his win over Leonard listed questionable?

I thought Laing won it comfortably.

Obama
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM

It's not based on official verdicts (UD/SD), it's based on reality.

Violent Demise
06-22-2010, 09:35 PM
It's not based on official verdicts (UD/SD), it's based on reality.

If that's the case than why is the Leonard win listed under questionable? I always found out idiotic when some would actually try and make a case for Ray winning. Leonard himself admitted defeat. What more ya'll want?

Obama
06-22-2010, 09:42 PM
If that's the case than why is the Leonard win listed under questionable? I always found out idiotic when some would actually try and make a case for Ray winning. Leonard himself admitted defeat. What more ya'll want?

A fighter is supposed to admit defeat. That's his damn job. Not supposed to cry about it like Ali did after Frazier whooped his ass. That shit is just sad.

It was a close fight with several swing rounds. Give all the swing rounds to Leonard and he wins. Hence questionable decision.

Duran's own fault for making it iffy, he gave the last two rounds away.

Violent Demise
06-22-2010, 10:07 PM
A fighter is supposed to admit defeat. That's his damn job. Not supposed to cry about it like Ali did after Frazier whooped his ass. That shit is just sad.

It was a close fight with several swing rounds. Give all the swing rounds to Leonard and he wins. Hence questionable decision.

Duran's own fault for making it iffy, he gave the last two rounds away.

"Give all the swing rounds to Leonard and he wins". That's an if scenario. I thought this was based on reality? And reality is Duran won. It wasn't a blow out. But I thought it was pretty clear cut to me. I had it 7-4 Duran. With one round even.

Obama
06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
"Give all the swing rounds to Leonard and he wins". That's an if scenario. I thought this was based on reality? And reality is Duran won. It wasn't a blow out. But I thought it was pretty clear cut to me. I had it 7-4 Duran. With one round even.

Your scorecard involves giving Duran all the swing rounds. I see no difference. The 2 rounds you gave to Leonard aside from the last 2 freebies, he dominated.

Violent Demise
06-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Your scorecard involves giving Duran all the swing rounds. I see no difference. The 2 rounds you gave to Leonard aside from the last 2 freebies, he dominated.

Maybe your right. My dislike for Leonard does run deep

Obama
06-22-2010, 10:34 PM
One other thing. It was a 15 round fight. We're missing 3 rounds here.

Obama
06-22-2010, 10:39 PM
This was my scorecard:

*Round 1: 10 – 10 Even
Not much to choose from this round. No one really deserved to win it. Leonard didn't do much, and Duran was mostly ineffective with what he did.

Round 2: 9 – 10 Duran
Big round for Duran, he buckles Leonard early and possibly hurts him once more later in the round. Leonard has his moments near the end, but didn't do enough.

Round 3: 9 – 10 Duran
Duran continues to beat Leonard's ass again this round, hurting him in the early going.

*Round 4: 9 – 10 Duran
Once again, early in the round Leonard is caught and hurt by Duran's big right hand. That's 3 rounds in a row that he hasn't been able to avoid it, not looking good for Leonard at all. Afterwards the two exchange good body work back and forth, edge Leonard. And at the end of the round, there are some flurries and big shots landed by both fighters. Leonard appeared to get the best of it here as well (barely). So, what started as a big round for Duran, ended up pretty damn close. ...But Duran still won.

Round 5: 10 – 9 Leonard
Even round until the end, where Leonard finally put a meaningful combination together that actually made Duran back up a little.

Round 6: 10 – 9 Leonard
Leonard tied Duran up pretty well the entire round, and put together some bullshit shoe shining punches along with a couple decent hooks that gave him this round clearly.

*Round 7: 10 – 9 Leonard
Leonard continues his tactics from the last round, but Duran is given more freedom to work in this round, most notably the second half. First half of the round was Leonard's, second half even.

*Round 8: 9 – 10 Duran
Close round. When Leonard uses his jab, he's in control and winning the round. Problem is, he isn't consistent. And when he stops using it, Duran closes the distance and lands his big bombs. Leonard is usually even with Duran on the inside, up until the end of the round. At the end, Duran clearly got the harder punches in (most notably that sucker right hand).

Round 9: 9 – 10 Duran
Leonard took a lot of this round off, and Duran just outworked him. Duran did a very job of slipping underneath of Leonard's punches this round.

Round 10: 10 – 9 Leonard
Competitive but clear round for Leonard. He utilized his boxing ability well and managed to not get caught with any huge punches, aside from a couple decent body shots.

Round 11: 10 – 9 Leonard
This round was all combinations. Aside from body positioning and head movement, defense was pretty much out the window. Leonard won it because he was busier.

*Round 12: 10 – 10 Even
I saw nothing to indicate either fighter really won this round.

*Round 13: 9 – 10 Duran
Wow. Not much in the first half of the round aside from a big left hook by Duran, but the second half? Bomb, after bomb, after bomb, after bomb. Leonard took a terrible amount of punishment in the second half of this round despite the back and forth action, YET, Leonard managed to finish stronger and even hurt Duran. But, it wasn't enough to steal the round. I'm actually rather baffled at how Leonard seemed to walk through all the big punches Duran hit him with this round.

Round 14: 10 – 9 Leonard
Leonard's determination from the end of the last round continued over into this one. Duran also seemingly took his foot off the gas this round. In response, Leonard put his signature on the round via “his” famous bolo punch.

Round 15: 10 – 9 Leonard
Um, Duran apparently thought he was way ahead in this round, because he decided he didn't have to throw any punches. Leonard won the round on activity alone.

Final Score: 7 – 6 – 2 Leonard (144 – 143)

Score Variances:
Scoring all the starred rounds to fighter 1: 12 – 3 Leonard
Scoring all the starred rounds even: 6 – 3 – 6 Leonard
Scoring all the starred rounds to fighter 2: 6 – 9 Duran

Violent Demise
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
One other thing. It was a 15 round fight. We're missing 3 rounds here.

Your right. Than it had to be 8-5 Duran. With 2 even. Cuz the only thing I do remember was I had Duran winning by 3. I should watch the fight again

imported_Nothingman
09-05-2010, 04:15 PM
What was questionable with Duran's win over Leonard??!:-?? It's nonsense!

Obama
09-05-2010, 06:31 PM
What was questionable with Duran's win over Leonard??!:-?? It's nonsense!

Says the guy entering the Benitez fight into the scoring league =)).

imported_Nothingman
09-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Says the guy entering the Benitez fight into the scoring league =)).
That had nothing to do with it chump! I just wanted to bring a really good fight into the league which has been lacking good old classics lately. I'm also a huge Benitez fan. Actually, right now I'm more into him than Duran. And who says a fight has to be close to score it??

Violent Demise
09-06-2010, 09:59 AM
That had nothing to do with it chump! I just wanted to bring a really good fight into the league which has been lacking good old classics lately. I'm also a huge Benitez fan. Actually, right now I'm more into him than Duran. And who says a fight has to be close to score it??

The point of the league is to score close, controversial fights. If it ain't close than what's the point of fucking score it?

imported_Nothingman
09-06-2010, 12:21 PM
The point of the league is to score close, controversial fights. If it ain't close than what's the point of fucking score it?
It's about THE FUN man, the fun! And I'm curious to see if the others will score it like I and how much difference there will be between our scores. But you don't have to score it if you don't want.:rolleyes: