PDA

View Full Version : Shane Mosley battles the scales to fight Manny Pacquiao

Obama
06-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Full Article:

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/732/mosley_making_catch_weight_to_fight_pacquiao_would _take_work/

Excerpt:

The problem for Mosley, 37, is that he hasn’t fought below 146 since 1999, when he stopped John Brown in the final defense of his 135-pound title. And he has fought above 147 10 times, four times at exactly 154.

Mosley said he weighs 160 now and that the ideal official weigh-in limit for him would 150, meaning he’d have to come in six pounds below the weight at which he would be most comfortable.

To do that at his age and with his already-lean body would be difficult.

“In my case, that’s a lot of weight to lose,” he said. “I previously fought at 154. Coming down to 147 can be a task. Then coming down even further, that is a real task. Even one pound makes a big difference.”

That said, he’s pretty sure he can do it.

bombfirst
06-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I think he's chasing the pay cheque more than anything and letting it cloud his judgement, I'm not so sure he can make it and be near his best. Which is why Roach would want to fight him there

Obama
06-04-2009, 02:03 AM
I think he's chasing the pay cheque more than anything and letting it cloud his judgement, I'm not so sure he can make it and be near his best. Which is why Roach would want to fight him there

Hopefully Shane is at least 95% of whatever he could be for this fight. Hearing that he stopped lifting weights all together is a good sign.

bombfirst
06-04-2009, 08:11 AM
These are my 2 favorite active fighters and I have to say a 95% Mosley is an extremely dangerous opponent for Pacman. I personally would prefer Pacquiao/Mayweather and Mosley/Cotto or Clottey(just to clarify who's the king at welter). Then the winners of the two fights above face each other.

Obama
06-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Article: Roach: 'Mosley not on my radar' (http://www.ringtv.com/blog/739/roach_mosley_not_on_my_radar/)

“Manny wants Mayweather because that’s the biggest fight, the fight everyone wants to see. Shane isn’t even on my radar,” Roach said.

Meanwhile, Oscar De La Hoya, with whom Mosley works in Golden Boy Promotions, said he doesn’t believe Pacquiao and his handlers would ever take the Mosley fight. And if they did, De La Hoya said, “Mosley would crush Pacquiao in a heartbeat.”

“That’s why I think it would never happen,” De La Hoya said. “Mosley is willing to come down in weight and take a smaller share of the pot, which show you he wants to fight the best. Obviously that’s an admirable quality.

“I just don’t feel Freddie and Manny will do it. … Mosley is too big a threat. Was I a risk when I came down to 147? Freddie Roach is smart. He saw something. Was Ricky Hatton a risk? Again, Freddie is a smart guy. That’s why he’s the best.

“And it’s why he’s not going to risk his fighter’s pound-for-pound status against a real champion like Mosley.”

Why would Mosley beat Pacquiao? Speed and brains, De La Hoya said.

“Mosley saw my fight against Pacquiao,” he said. “He saw the Ricky Hatton fight. He wouldn’t commit the mistakes we both made. He won’t come down in weight too much like I did. He won’t leave his head up there like Ricky did. He’s smart.”

Of course, Roach took exception to De La Hoya’s comments.

“We crushed Oscar,” he said, “and we can crush Mosley too because they had two close fights.”

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: @ Last bit.

bombfirst
06-05-2009, 07:07 AM
I like Freddie but that statement in bold is a steaming pile of shit. Surprised he didn't try out " The De La Hoya that had those two close fights with Mosley was green and by the time he got to Pacquiao he was a more experienced and better fighter at his physical peak" haha

I notice Oscar refer's to the weight a lot regarding the Pacman loss which is fair enough I agree with the man, although I thought he looked bad against Forbes you could say he could've taken the tune up lightly. I wonder if he'd come back at 154 for the right opponent? I like how he says Hatton wasn't a risk however before the fight he was talking big game, its easy to say something after the fact

Obama
06-05-2009, 06:00 PM
I like Freddie but that statement in bold is a steaming pile of shit. Surprised he didn't try out " The De La Hoya that had those two close fights with Mosley was green and by the time he got to Pacquiao he was a more experienced and better fighter at his physical peak" haha

I notice Oscar refer's to the weight a lot regarding the Pacman loss which is fair enough I agree with the man, although I thought he looked bad against Forbes you could say he could've taken the tune up lightly. I wonder if he'd come back at 154 for the right opponent? I like how he says Hatton wasn't a risk however before the fight he was talking big game, its easy to say something after the fact

Hatton was definitely a risk. Just too bad it wasn't the old Ricky Hatton that showed up. Pac's last two fights while impressive on paper were not what they appeared to be. Manny beat two B level opponents come fight night.

bombfirst
06-06-2009, 12:37 AM
B is generous in De La Hoya case I think man you'd lean towards him being over the hill after the Forbes fight plus weight drained and I think Hatton might've only been B+ in his prime, the only reason its a big win for Pac is the weight class it was in

Obama
06-06-2009, 12:42 AM
B is generous in De La Hoya case I think man you'd lean towards him being over the hill after the Forbes fight plus weight drained and I think Hatton might've only been B+ in his prime, the only reason its a big win for Pac is the weight class it was in

Yep, I agree. I'm being generous just so Pac groupies don't attack me. If they attack me it's best they have 0 credibility. :D

bombfirst
06-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Hey i consider myself a pac groupie haha

Obama
06-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey i consider myself a pac groupie haha

Pac should be honored to have a groupie or your calibur. You don't really fit in with the group tho. Many, if not most, would consider you a Pac hater for such comments.