PDA

View Full Version : Should Ricky Hatton retire?

Obama
05-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Doug Fischer @ Ring Magazine says yes:

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/635/hatton_should_hang_up_his_gloves_/

I personally am undecided. What I do know is he should stop trying to fight the best fighter in the world. That endeavor is futile.

If Witter regains his WBC title, that seems like a reasonable way to go out. Amir Khan is another reasonable way to go out if he wins the WBA title. Either way, he shouldn't stick around TOO much longer. But a couple fights against lesser fighters such as these doesn't seem that bad to me.

In the end it's all a gamble. If he wins his last couple fights and retires, his place in history improves. If he loses, it drops even more. Without actual A level wins in his career, or moments where he at least APPEARED to be unbeatable (kind of like RJJ style), losing again to inferior competition would be pretty brutal. As is stands right now, Ricky Hatton in his prime was an A- level fighter (with some disputes). Worse case scenario and that A- will end up an undisputed B. It's just when you've only convincingly beat 1 A- fighter (Tszyu) your whole career, it looks like either 1 of 2 things.

1) He got lucky
2) Tszyu was actually B level at that point

Now should he go oput with a win or two over B level guys (as I've mentioned previously), he's undisputedly going down as an A- fighter. Let the chips fall where they may.

AllTimeGreat
05-04-2009, 02:08 AM
We can't right off his entire career. But there is some credibility to his career not being as illustrious as his previous wins had looked before his first loss.

But he needs to retire if he can't follow a simple game plan. If i was training him last night, i would have been so dissapointed. Mayweather senior gave him strict advice. Don't rush in, if you do, use the jab to get you on the inside. For the first 2 knockdowns, Ricky ran in with his hands low and with no jab, it was just target practice. The last right hook was a devastating and beautfiul punch, but Ricky just ran at Pacquaio with his hands low and he did nothing.

I was highly dissapointed in Hatton last night and i think its time he hangs up the gloves. Hes really chinny now. Hes been getting hurt for a while.

Scott22
05-04-2009, 03:44 AM
i think he should. that was bad

bombfirst
05-04-2009, 09:17 AM
I like Obama's idea of Witter or Khan have one last fight in England and call it a day. The only thing is can his chin hold up anymore with his style, blocking with his face, because it's obviously to late for him to change. Watch the 24/7 series he didn't do anything that they'd been working on

bombfirst
05-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Heres an article with Witter calling out Hatton, again haha

Junior Witter Says He Is the Only Fight Left For Hatton Now

Once a rival always a rival. Junior Witter, the man who has well and truly been seeing out his own top level career while in the shadow of his light-welterweight countryman Ricky Hatton, is still talking about the man he has always wanted to meet in the ring. Though his even fighting again is in doubt after what the lethal Manny Pacquiao did to him one week ago, Hatton is still a fighter "The Hitter" is talking about facing..

Some say Witter is jealous of Hatton, what with all the fame, money and adulation "The Hitman" has enjoyed while he, conversely, has toiled in relative obscurity. In any case, the 35-year-old former WBC 140-pound champion has gone on record as saying he would still relish an all-British showdown with the 30-year-old, but that he feels the fight has a very slim chance of happening.

Witter has also joined those people who say Hatton will have a hard road back if he decides to try and box on after what happened on May 2nd.

"I can't remember a world title [fight] when somebody got blazed like that," Witter told Telegraph and Argus when discussing the Hatton-Pacquiao fight. "Hatton's loss to Floyd Mayweather was a big beating but that was a total annihilation. Every right hook from Pacquiao had an effect and drained him. Then the straight lefts rocked his head back.

"From the first 30 seconds you could see there was only one winner. The finishing punch was one in a million. You don't get a better performance than that."

Few would disagree with Witter's assessment of last Saturday's fight, but would Junior come out on top if the unlikely happened and he and "The Hitman" did wind up squaring off, either this year or next?

Witter said he is almost sure Hatton will call it quits now, even though he hopes he fights him instead.

"I don't think last week changes anything," Witter said. "Before the fight I thought Hatton would retire and, after the beating he took, he's got to now. If I was Ricky Hatton I would have fought me first! And if he does come back there's only one fight to put him back on top and that's me.

"He doesn't want to work with Frank Warren, so that rules out Amir Khan. And he doesn't want to box me, period. He's a multi-millionaire who doesn't need to fight again for the money. Unfortunately, people will remember Hatton for three fights: wining against Kostya Tszyu, getting beaten up by Floyd and the annihilation from Pacquiao."

Junior may be right on that last note, but at least Hatton took risks and took on guys like Mayweather and "Pac-Man." How would Junior have fared had he met either of those two greats himself?

Obama
05-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Witter would have actually gone the distance with those guys is how he would have faired. ;)

Witter vs Hatton is a toss up fight. I'd like to see it.

Violent Demise
05-10-2009, 07:00 AM
No way he should retire. Watching Ricky get knocked out is great fun. 2 losses. 2 high light reel knock outs. Keep them coming Ricky

Obama
05-10-2009, 07:12 AM
No way he should retire. Watching Ricky get knocked out is great fun. 2 losses. 2 high light reel knock outs. Keep them coming Ricky

Damn man...kinda harsh?

Guess you'll smile if he ends up like Ali...

Violent Demise
05-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Damn man...kinda harsh?

Guess you'll smile if he ends up like Ali...

The man makes for great knock outs. What can I say

bombfirst
05-10-2009, 07:34 AM
I reckon Katsidis or Witter is the go for Ricky's last fight. Damn VD your cold man haha, you have a point though. You can all Ricky a B level fighter all you like but he damn sure's been providing those A level knockouts in both his losses

Sweet Pea
05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I've been calling for a Witter/Hatton fight for a long time now. I'd love it to happen, so what if Witter doesn't bring the money like Hatton does I've always felt Hatton has been ducking Witter.

bombfirst
05-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Ricky Hatton says a firm decision on his boxing future will have to wait as he is "still not in the right frame of mind" to make the call in the wake of his crushing second round knockout defeat to Manny Pacquiao.
Hatton was speaking at length for the first time since his loss at the opening of his new gym in Hyde, where he also admitted his failure to wrest the pound for pound crown from Pacquiao was "very embarrassing".
Hatton has been urged to retire by most prominent boxing figures but there remain plenty of possibilities including fights against the big-punching former lightweight Michael Katsidis or even Amir Khan.
Hatton said: "I'm just going to have a holiday with my family then I'll make the decision. I've been very down needless to say. It was very embarrassing but it's not exactly doom and gloom.
"When my mind's in a little bit better form and certainly a bit clearer then I'll make a decision. No-one planned that result but this is boxing. I'm still not in the right frame of mind to make a big decision like that just yet."
Hatton's intention is for his new gym to be used by the growing stable of fighters joining his fledgling promotions company, for whom he has signed an eight-fight television deal with Sky Sports.
Although the deal does not involve any prospective future Hatton fights, it may be another temptation for Hatton to continue boxing, with his company yet to ink another headline act.
But Hatton sounded like a former fighter when he said: "After being a champion yourself the next best thing to replace being a champion would be to give back some of the happiness I got from the sport.
"I think it's clear what my intentions are in promoting - to try to be the best. As far as carrying on fighting, I'm going to go away with my family, get my head in a nicer place and make a very, very important decision."

Still no decision from Ricky I think he'll have at least one more fight..

AllTimeGreat
05-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Ricky Hatton says a firm decision on his boxing future will have to wait as he is "still not in the right frame of mind" to make the call in the wake of his crushing second round knockout defeat to Manny Pacquiao.
Hatton was speaking at length for the first time since his loss at the opening of his new gym in Hyde, where he also admitted his failure to wrest the pound for pound crown from Pacquiao was "very embarrassing".
Hatton has been urged to retire by most prominent boxing figures but there remain plenty of possibilities including fights against the big-punching former lightweight Michael Katsidis or even Amir Khan.
Hatton said: "I'm just going to have a holiday with my family then I'll make the decision. I've been very down needless to say. It was very embarrassing but it's not exactly doom and gloom.
"When my mind's in a little bit better form and certainly a bit clearer then I'll make a decision. No-one planned that result but this is boxing. I'm still not in the right frame of mind to make a big decision like that just yet."
Hatton's intention is for his new gym to be used by the growing stable of fighters joining his fledgling promotions company, for whom he has signed an eight-fight television deal with Sky Sports.
Although the deal does not involve any prospective future Hatton fights, it may be another temptation for Hatton to continue boxing, with his company yet to ink another headline act.
But Hatton sounded like a former fighter when he said: "After being a champion yourself the next best thing to replace being a champion would be to give back some of the happiness I got from the sport.
"I think it's clear what my intentions are in promoting - to try to be the best. As far as carrying on fighting, I'm going to go away with my family, get my head in a nicer place and make a very, very important decision."

Still no decision from Ricky I think he'll have at least one more fight..

Katsidis, a farewell fight, in which hed win.