PDA

View Full Version : Pacquaio vs All Time Greats

Obama
04-30-2009, 03:54 AM
I read one of the better articles Ring Magazine has released today. It gives a breakdown of how Manny Pacquiao would fair against the likes of Wilfredo Gomez at 122 pounds, Salvador Sanchez at 126, Alexis Arguello at 130 pounds, Roberto Duran at 135 and Aaron Pryor at 140 pounds. I agreed with most of the article, but definitely not how he envisions the outcome of the Pryor fight. The article can be found here:

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/617/how_would_pacquaio_fare_versus_five_alltime_greats/

Doug Fischer envisions the following outcomes:
Gomez winning by mid-late round KO
Sanchez winning a competitive UD
Pacquiao decisioning Arguello in a close and tactical fight
Duran winning by late stoppage
Pryor winning a SD

Personally I think a fight with Pryor is also close, but I can't see Pac lasting the distance. He's getting out hustled and knocked out just like Arguello did. And speaking of Arguello, he loses a decision to Pac but he's still highly likely to score a KO. Pac would struggle with Arguello's height, reach, and jab more than Fischer believes. Pac's first loss to Morales was no fluke or against a "lesser Pacquiao". He only won the rematches because Morales was a spent force. There's clear evidence in the early going of the second fight that Pac didn't learn a damn thing.

gran
08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
i have gomez winning by a 12 round unaminous decision,sanchez winning buy a 1st round knockout,arguello winning buy a 12 round unaminous decision,duran winning by a 12 round unaminous decision,pryor winning by 1st round knockout,these men are just to strong and they fought when every fighter in the division was good.:)

Obama
08-18-2009, 06:04 PM
i have gomez winning by a 12 round unaminous decision,sanchez winning buy a 1st round knockout,arguello winning buy a 12 round unaminous decision,duran winning by a 12 round unaminous decision,pryor winning by 1st round knockout,these men are just to strong and they fought when every fighter in the division was good.:)

The JWW Division Pryor ruled was not considered good by any means. Hist most notable wins came against guys who moved up in weight. He tried to get fights against guys above his weight, Leonard, Hearns, Duran, etc, but they never materialized.

Also, I don't want to mislead about Cervantes (the second best name he beat). He was primed at JWW, just past it by the time Pryor got to him.

gran
08-27-2009, 11:26 PM
he was smart he knew where the money was,so how come leonard,hearns,duran never gave him a shot,re: they would of got decked pryor was good and when he fought the canadian tough guy nicky furlano and the hard hitting nicky furlano almost won and these other fighters where afraid to fight pryor or even furlano

Obama
08-27-2009, 11:39 PM
he was smart he knew where the money was,so how come leonard,hearns,duran never gave him a shot,re: they would of got decked pryor was good and when he fought the canadian tough guy nicky furlano and the hard hitting nicky furlano almost won and these other fighters where afraid to fight pryor or even furlano

Leonard actually offered Pryor a fight. Pryor declined because he wanted more money.

Leonard, Hearns, and Duran all fought each other and fought Marvin Hagler among other elite fighters. All of the guys I mentioned were more dangerous than Furlano. They even had better KO ratios than Furlano did, who's percentage was roughly 33%.