PDA

View Full Version : Training Techniques Of Old School Fighters? Inferior?

AllTimeGreat
04-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Im interested in reading some information on the training techniques of old school fighters. Often fighters went into bouts dry, with hardly any liquid in there system. This at the time, well up until the 1980's was seen as ideal. Modern fighters have a large emphasis on strength.

Old school fighters in my mind did both long runs and long sparring sessions and they were in far better condition for the higher weights. E.G Ali and the other elites at that time were fighting around 215, now we have guys at 255. But 210-215, does seem to be a good weight.

Please share any information you have on old school training techniques.

Obama
05-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Fighters were in better condition back in the day because more top athletes chose boxing as a career. Football and Basketball has really undermined the sport of boxing. We'll still be seeing great talent and conditioning come around, just not as frequent as before. I don't think it's much of a reflection on the techniques of the time. Training back then might have been harder, but training now is more efficient. Lot of new boxing equipment gets used today that didn't exist back then, along with methods of reducing stress and strain that could negatively impact the body.

Then there's the change from 15 rounds to 12. Training for 15 rounds is not the same as training for 12.

Obama
07-10-2009, 05:46 PM
I'd also like to mention the transition from day of the fight weigh-ins (5 hours before) to weigh-ins the day before the fight (at least 24 hours before). This came about in the early 80s after the Ray Mancini vs. Deuk Koo Kim fight, which consequently also immediately ended 15 round title fights in the WBC. The extra time allows for more hydration, hence fighters today have a lot more liquid in their system.

There are however negative impacts of the extended weigh-in time. Instead of fighters fighting at a certain weight class, they are now fighting 1-3 weight classes above it. 1 is ok, even old time fighters did this given they had 5 more hours before fight time. 3 is absurd. When historically comparing fighters, rating guys like Paul Williams in the same weight class as Kid Gavilan (Welterweight) is down right scandalous. One fought not far from the WW limit, while the other fought past the MW limit. Yet both were in sanctioned WW bouts.

AllTimeGreat
07-28-2009, 05:34 AM
What was the key difference. In the heavier divisions old school fighters seemed to have much better stamina.

Obama
07-28-2009, 06:06 AM
I merged your new thread with your older thread. I believe they key difference was fighters not draining themselves to make weight. As for the Heavyweight division however, I see no difference. I see worse heavyweights today, but the elite Heavyweights (all 2 of them) still seem to have the ability to go 12 rounds without gassing.