PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James says race played a part in 'Decision' backlash

E-DUBB
09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
NewsCore) - Miami Heat superstar LeBron James said Wednesday night that he believes race was a factor in the huge public backlash that followed his decision to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers, Florida's Sun-Sentinel reported.

In an appearance on CNN's "Primetime," James responded to the question by correspondent Soledad O'Brien, saying "I think so, at times. It's always, you know, a race factor."

James' marketing chief Maverick Carter agreed with the two-time reigning NBA MVP.

"It definitely played a role in some of the stuff coming out of the media, things that were written for sure."

James' Q Score, which measures public sentiment about a person or subject, dropped significantly after he chose to join the Heat, according to a report released earlier this month.

James' Q Score was at 24% positive-22% negative in January, but plunged to 14% positive-39% negative following his departure from Cleveland.

Among non-black respondents, James' Q Score was 44% negative, an increase of 20 percentage points, while among black respondents his negative Q Score rose by just one percentage point to 15%

James opted to leave his hometown Cavs, who drafted him first overall out of high school in 2003, to join the Miami Heat to play alongside fellow All-Stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

The announcement was made on a one-hour ESPN special called "The Decision," which was widely panned by the U.S. media as an ill-conceived publicity stunt.

"It was my idea and the people around me's idea," James said

Carter said the show could have been executed better, but defended the purpose of the event, which raised $3 million in advertising revenue that was donated to the Boys & Girls Club of America.

"We own the advertising time. We went out and sold it to brands and we took every dime and donated it to charity," Carter said.

James said he would not go back and change "The Decision," adding "if I have to take heat to give back to kids, I would do it the same way every single time."

Read more: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/sports/nba/lebron-james-says-race-played-a-part-in-decision-backlash-25-ncx-20100930

BDUB
09-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Lebron you fukkin loser. :laugh2:

E-DUBB
09-30-2010, 09:50 PM
:wank: yeah...race played a role the negative publicity even though charles barkley,michael jordan and magic johnson all criticized him too :sad: